Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Badminton doubles: China and South Korea both played to lose.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    China cheating as always.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    i want to watch this match to see what a farce it was. Can't seem to find it on the bbc sport website. Can someone link me please?

thanks!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They can moan about the two teams all they like like the simple fact is that this is the fault of the Olympic organisers for not preventing this by giving the team which comes top of the group the easiest route to the final.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDSyes)
    Why do all the chinese women at these games (except the gymnasts) look like blokes? Am i the only one that thinks they should stop cutting their own hair?
    - littlemissblonde89, andover, uk, 31/7/2012 22:47
    Juiced up on testosterone probably
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    8 players have been disqualified apparently :holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just make it so the winners choose who to play next round, so there is more incentive to win?
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    8 players have been disqualified apparently :holmes:
    excellent decision
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bear54)
    Just make it so the winners choose who to play next round, so there is more incentive to win?
    How would this work

A1
    A2

B1
    B2

What if A1 want to play B2 but B1 want to play A1?
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    I apologise if a thread on this topic has been created, but what are the thoughts of you guys on this?

Check this article if you don't know what I'm on about;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...#ixzz22FXKPbeT
    This is just abysmal. Goes against the spirit of the Games. What a surprise that China and South Korea were part of it. :rolleyes: They should have been disqualified.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miryo)
    Thats pretty awful but I don't think anything can be done about it tbh.
    The ref stepped in and threatened them both with disqualification if they carried on like they were.

It's very unsporting and boring to watch.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the four pairs are planning to appeal? I sincerely hope they accept their punishment and move on. It says a lot that China's own Olympic sports delegation is investigating their own doubles team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19074280
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    They can moan about the two teams all they like like the simple fact is that this is the fault of the Olympic organisers for not preventing this by giving the team which comes top of the group the easiest route to the final.
    Exactly - everyone whinging about them "not playing to the best of their ability" or whatever: winning a match is only "winning" if it actually benefits you. In this case, the system was arranged such that losing would benefit them in the long run. So, the teams must do their very best to lose. They're here to get medals, not please a crowd by hurting their chances.

Imagine if you had a running race where the fastest were penalised and handicapped in the next round, and the slowest were given an advantage. No one would move out of the blocks, and you can’t blame them. No one will ever play to win unless winning advantages them and moves them on, and saying it’s “unsporting” or just repeating how sad and unacceptable it is won’t ever motivate an athlete to throw their overall game by winning when it doesn’t help them. You'll only ever get an honest effort if there's a reward, instead of a penalty, for winning. IMO the players did the right thing in the circumstances.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    This is just abysmal. Goes against the spirit of the Games. What a surprise that China and South Korea were part of it. :rolleyes: They should have been disqualified.
    All 8 players involved have been disqualified now.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    The IOC should change the rule, what was wrong with the knockout tournaments?? You win you get through, you lose you go out. The IOC made it possible and gave players incentive to do badly and can we really blame them...they already qualified to the next round and have a difficult match the very next day. Change the rules back if they want to avoid a similar incident repeating again surely is the way?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Exactly - everyone whinging about them "not playing to the best of their ability" or whatever: winning a match is only "winning" if it actually benefits you. In this case, the system was arranged such that losing would benefit them in the long run. So, the teams must do their very best to lose. They're here to get medals, not please a crowd by hurting their chances.

Imagine if you had a running race where the fastest were penalised and handicapped in the next round, and the slowest were given an advantage. No one would move out of the blocks, and you can’t blame them. No one will ever play to win unless winning advantages them and moves them on, and saying it’s “unsporting” or just repeating how sad and unacceptable it is won’t ever motivate an athlete to throw their overall game by winning when it doesn’t help them. You'll only ever get an honest effort if there's a reward, instead of a penalty, for winning. IMO the players did the right thing in the circumstances.
    I agree to an extent but it should be knockout format like tennis. With that said you probably don't deserve a medal if you are a pussy and don't trust yourself to beat better opponents so have to deliberately lose to win a medal. That's not a winners mentality.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They should not have had group stages.
    I also blame BWF for this because match fixing and behaviour like this has occurred in the past as well, but BWF has been too cowardly to take action. Perhaps the disqualification will stop players repeating this in the future.

I am honestly disgusted by this. As a huge badminton fan, it pains me to see such a great sport get a bad name because of a few rotten apples. I hope this doesn't affect Badminton's place in the olympics. I saw the IOC president Jacques Rogge in the crowd an hour before this scandal, so I hope he didn't have to witness this disgrace.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The tournament shouldn't be organised so that incentive issues like those come up. The players could have played a bit harder but I don't see how players can play at their 100% best as if they were going for gold when they are actually better off losing. You are never going to get the players playing their best and once they are not playing their best it is hard to know where the line of cheating should be drawn.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I cannot condone the actions of the players - they were disgraceful - but how is this any different to swimmers holding back in the heats and conserving energy for the other events they've entered in the day?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefl14)
    I agree to an extent but it should be knockout format like tennis. With that said you probably don't deserve a medal if you are a pussy and don't trust yourself to beat better opponents so have to deliberately lose to win a medal. That's not a winners mentality.
    I admire the Koreans and Chinese for waving two fingers at the authorities and doing what was best for them, China deserved to lose/win whichever way you look at it for having the nerve to do what was best for them in spite of the crowds booing and jeering. I don't think the Chinese were scared of playing the other Chinese team, they wanted to go on to win both silver and gold in an all Chinese final.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What's your deal with Chinese and Koreans?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.