Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tom Daley Twitter row: why is everyone jumping on the free speech bandwagon?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    How is it not? Finding someone's IP on the internet is easier than you think.
    And to follow on from that.. an address isn't much harder either.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    No one said either was a kind place. But if he made threats that deserve criminal charges, it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter whether or not it happened over internet or not, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. He wasn't just offensive, he was CRIMINALLY offensive, which is the issue here.

No, I am calling DEATH THREATS AND THREATS OF VIOLENCE criminal. I fail to see how that is, in any way, pathetic.

He WAS directly threatening people, which is the issue, and I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually read the specific tweets being referred to.
    You totally ignored what I said about threatening people over the internet.............
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    I'm sorry, but how do you legally quantify abuse? Isn't it up to the level of abuse felt by the recipient- which could be totally unrelated to the level of abuse intended? The "blasphemy law" thing of a while back is an example of this- rendering criticism of religions (one monotheism in particular) illegal as they caused distress to adherents of those religions.
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sending threats warrants legal action. Sending insults doesn't imo.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    You totally ignored what I said about threatening people over the internet.............
    And you totally ignored what I said in the post you replied to
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    When the Danish Cartoonists insult Islam it's free speech but when Team GB's golden boy (or is that 4th-placed boy :teehee:) is insulted there is a massive fuss and widespread outrage :rolleyes:
    ones a joke

the others sick comments to make someone feel bad
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g36c)
    ones a joke

the others sick comments to make someone feel bad
    The fact that I can't tell which you consider to be a joke or sick comments speaks volumes about the ambiguity of "offensiveness".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech also includes freedom to be an idiot. If it didn't you'd need to restart shipping prisioners to Australia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all bizarre because irl, outside of celebrity culture, people basically do all of the above and not consider involving the authorities. All the government is basically doing is saying celebrities are so important that you can't even insult them publicly or you will be locked away.

God damn English middle class people are incapable of holding an absolute right to be inalienable. If you can't insult "important" people, then it's not too far from not being able to disagree with powerful people. New Labour started all of this **** will rampant political correctness and the coalition and just finishing off the final blows to the man on the street.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    And you totally ignored what I said in the post you replied to
    No, I read over and noticed it was merely focused on threats via the internet which I addressed. You obviously didn't bother to read what I wrote, or rather you chose to ignore it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    No, I read over and noticed it was merely focused on threats via the internet which I addressed. You obviously didn't bother to read what I wrote, or rather you chose to ignore it.
    You call something as petty and insignificant as someone calling someone something over the internet ´criminal´ - thats pretty pathetic.
    Thing is, I NEVER said that someone calling someone else names over the internet was criminal....which is what I later pointed out but you never addressed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There has never been a completly free speach anywhere in the world. there is to a degree but people cant say things that upset/harm others.The issue is they dont mind helping famous people out when they get crab but when its normal people do they rarely give a damn.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.