Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympics is proving to be a drain on the Economy!

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    tourists hotspots in central London and the west end are empty! regular tourists are staying away this year because of the anticipated travel chaos

The Olympics is costing this country even more than the £9billion we have already forked out, god you could not make this stuff up!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Street (and the rest of central London) was stupidly busy when I went this weekend.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to London tonight.

I'll report back to you all :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extom)
    tourists hotspots in central London and the west end are empty! regular tourists are staying away this year because of the anticipated travel chaos

The Olympics is costing this country even more than the £9billion we have already forked out, god you could not make this stuff up!
    So what? Should we cancel the Olympics now? "Sorry guys, the normally packed areas aren't so busy, and you've upset OP. Time to go home!"

The areas that benefit every day from being in London and have made fantastic amounts of money for years aren't getting complete dominance of tourists for 2 weeks (someone else is having the fun) so that makes the Olympics a shocking thing? It's not like tourists are going to stay away forever, is it?

Seems like you can make this stuff up...

Edit: seems like not jumping on the Olympics-bashing train gets you negs these days!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Street is absolutely crazy. It's waaaay too crowded.

How packed/empty is Westfield? I was planning to go tomorrow.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm going up tomorrow aswell to see Badminton, will it be impossible to move around in Wembley?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    blame the ridiculous over price strategy these shops have employed.....so what Central London is finally taking a hit because of the shop owners own stupidity...maybe they should take an example from the shops in Stratford Westfield and other shops close to Olympic venues and offer discounts to people holding Official tickets.....

the Tesco near to where I work in Central London all of a sudden their prices went up by at least 50% on basic stuff..... and the stuff they usually had offers on for over year eg 4 bagels for £1 or 4 rolls for £1 have all of a sudden disappeared and they are now 45p each.....the cinnamon rolls that were 60p are now 80p..... a can of energy drink Kix which was 47p is now 60p......

so they have only themselves to blame...most tourists already know that London has the worldwide reputation of being the most expensive tourist city and plan accordingly....and to add insult to injury the shop owners increase prices....

it's expensive enough on a regular for us who live here far more for people who probably been saving up for 4 years or more for the chance to be at an olympics......so they will make themselves more price aware and look for where they can make the most out of their dollar/yen/euro etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the Olympics are like the royals

freebies galore and we end up paying for it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighwayUnicorn)
    Oxford Street is absolutely crazy. It's waaaay too crowded.

How packed/empty is Westfield? I was planning to go tomorrow.
    Westfield STRATFORD is packed everyday....and if you happen to go there just at the end of any competition its manic....and the full on track competitions haven't started at the stadium yet...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was at westfield on Tuesday. It was packed. Absolutely crazy
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)

Shall I be seeing you in London? I'm heading out into central London too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddthm)
    blame the ridiculous over price strategy these shops have employed.....so what Central London is finally taking a hit because of the shop owners own stupidity...maybe they should take an example from the shops in Stratford Westfield and other shops close to Olympic venues and offer discounts to people holding Official tickets.....

the Tesco near to where I work in Central London all of a sudden their prices went up by at least 50% on basic stuff..... and the stuff they usually had offers on for over year eg 4 bagels for £1 or 4 rolls for £1 have all of a sudden disappeared and they are now 45p each.....the cinnamon rolls that were 60p are now 80p..... a can of energy drink Kix which was 47p is now 60p......

so they have only themselves to blame...most tourists already know that London has the worldwide reputation of being the most expensive tourist city and plan accordingly....and to add insult to injury the shop owners increase prices....

it's expensive enough on a regular for us who live here far more for people who probably been saving up for 4 years or more for the chance to be at an olympics......so they will make themselves more price aware and look for where they can make the most out of their dollar/yen/euro etc
    How much did you pay for your fullstop button? Do you feel you're getting value for money?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)

Yeah please do

OP: My parents plan to go to the west end when they saw theatre tickets were discounted as much as 50%. I expect the news may have stirred more people to actually visit London and spend money now.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Shall I be seeing you in London? I'm heading out into central London too.
    I'll be in Hackney for a couple of days until the Table Tennis on Thursday then shopping Friday/Saturday which should be good.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people who would normally go to Central/West london are refraining from doing so because of all the hype of it being 'jam packed' it's even stopped quite a few of my mates who keep saying it'll be way too packed. Well I went on Monday and the tube was running normal in terms of how packed it was and places such as Piccadilly Circus was less packed than usual.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woops wrong thread
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we all knew they were going to be a huge economic drain with so many people ditching work to watch them. Olympics, World Cup, Euros - it happens like clockwork.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy the Olympics- I'm off to the boxing this evening.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extom)

What do you mean by this statement? Is such a scenario so hard to conjure up?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    What do you mean by this statement? Is such a scenario so hard to conjure up?
    It did seem a bit over dramatic!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.