The Student Room Group

University help, just about 5 months left.

Im a 20year old international student, from UAE. Ethnetically indian and would like to persue a joint honour in a business related field and creative writing, as a minor if possible.

The most i can spend is about 10,000 pounds.
Ive never been away from home and im ready to get out now!!!

On another note, i would also like some information on student loans i can get, scholarships, housing and medical. I had 2 ovarian cysts removed when i was young and will need medication.

I dont have much time as the dead line is in jan, and i have to get things ready from here. I have it in my heart to study somewhere new.

some of the unis that i reviewed were

The university of northampton
The university of winchester
The university of derby
Kingston university

I already took a year out to go through things and i dont think my folks will take to kindly to me slacking off another year.
Reply 1
Sorry but £10k won't even cover 1 year of tution fees for international student
Reply 2
what i mean is aprox 10k a year, for 3 years. not 10k on a whole. ive checkd a LOT of sites and know that international students have to pay 9k above.
Reply 3
Fees are £9,700 a year at derby, need a long way to go to cover the rest of expenses.
Reply 4
Original post by s.scribe
what i mean is aprox 10k a year, for 3 years. not 10k on a whole. ive checkd a LOT of sites and know that international students have to pay 9k above.

10K for what though, does this cover tuition? or is this for living costs? also press quote, so people know you've replied :smile:
Plus you could do better than those uni's for business
Reply 5
£10k/year might not cover your tuition fees (which could be £13-£14k depending on the university)

Scholarships are likely to be minimal as you're an international student.
Housing cost varies massively between geographical areas. In general, South East (of England) is the most expensive and North is cheaper, same applies to the cost of living.
Health care is free on the point of entry - it's paid for by tax.
Doubt you'll be able to get the same loan as EU students, but you might be able to get a personal bank loan which would have very high interest rate.
Reply 6
Original post by Iqbal007
10K for what though, does this cover tuition? or is this for living costs? also press quote, so people know you've replied :smile:
Plus you could do better than those uni's for business

10k is the amount that i am willing to pay for tuition, the other expenses will either be covered by my folks or i'll include that in the loan.

Chances of being a successful author in my home country or where i stay now are slim to none, and i most probably will be paying the same amount anyways.
Business studies is my fallback plan, ive never been to england so im quiet clueless at the moment.
searching online for a good uni is really confusing, i got those unis that i'd mentioned before of ucas.

Anymore worth mentioning??
Reply 7
Original post by Manitude
£10k/year might not cover your tuition fees (which could be £13-£14k depending on the university)

Scholarships are likely to be minimal as you're an international student.
Housing cost varies massively between geographical areas. In general, South East (of England) is the most expensive and North is cheaper, same applies to the cost of living.
Health care is free on the point of entry - it's paid for by tax.
Doubt you'll be able to get the same loan as EU students, but you might be able to get a personal bank loan which would have very high interest rate.

I most probably will be taking out a loan from where i live, or from india, the rate on interest wont be much of a problem for me then.

Are there any good universities in the north for creative writing and Business as a dual major?? i really need all the help i can get at this point. :smile:
Reply 8
10k is just the tuition amount, other expenses arnt included.
Reply 9
Unless you're deadset on the UK try the Netherlands they do a lot of courses in English and course fees are cheaper even as an international students and if you;re from the UAE you may get a grant etc
Reply 10
Original post by Davidosh
Unless you're deadset on the UK try the Netherlands they do a lot of courses in English and course fees are cheaper even as an international students and if you;re from the UAE you may get a grant etc

Thanks for the info david, will check it out, and i am deadset of leaving as the creative arts arnt really appreciated in either countries. there are no creative writing courses or anything remotely related to it.

Do you know of any specific university there??
Reply 11
I most probably will be taking out a loan from where i live, or from india, the rate on interest wont be much of a problem for me then.

Are there any good universities in the north for creative writing and Business as a dual major?? i really need all the help i can get at this point. :smile:

You might want to look at Durham, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffied and Lancaster. They are all "good" or "very good" universities in the north.

To be honest that's such an unusual combination you're unlikely to find anywere that has a brilliant course covering both. The universities you listed have flexible courses that allow you to pick 2 such different courses but studying that combination will make it very difficult to excel in both (you'll be marked alongside people who are 100% creative writing and 100% business but you'll only have half the tuition/background).

For creative writing the stand out university is http://www.uea.ac.uk/courses/admission/courses/ldc-courses/ba-english-literature-with-creative-writing but as you can see they don't offer the course in combination with anything and their tuition fees are outside your budget. But Creative writing is a pretty new subject for UK universities - most will only offer it as a 1 year masters degree or as a component in their english literature courses.
Reply 13
10k is the amount that i am willing to pay for tuition, the other expenses will either be covered by my folks or i'll include that in the loan.

Chances of being a successful author in my home country or where i stay now are slim to none, and i most probably will be paying the same amount anyways.
Business studies is my fallback plan, ive never been to england so im quiet clueless at the moment.
searching online for a good uni is really confusing, i got those unis that i'd mentioned before of ucas.

Anymore worth mentioning??

As others have said maybe look at Scotland, as the international fees might be lower, to be honest local students now have to pay £9k, so international fees are much higher, so higher than 10k.

Suggest you start researching a bit more, nor do I think your eligible for local student loans unless your British or from the EU.

Some do offer scholarships but thats if you hold them as your firm and can be £3,000 if you achieve really high grades.
Reply 14
Thanks for the info david, will check it out, and i am deadset of leaving as the creative arts arnt really appreciated in either countries. there are no creative writing courses or anything remotely related to it.

Do you know of any specific university there??

Nothing specific but QS world rankings website has a ranking by course and country I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending