Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a given that I will get fitter if I lose weight?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So if I was to use just dieting and I lost a couple of stone, is it a given that I will be fitter because I weigh less? Or does it not really work like that?

I used to be three stone lighter than I am now, but I don't necessarily remember being fitter when I was that weight.

Reason I'm asking is because I want to lose weight AND get fitter. It's all well being a size 10 but I'd like to be fitter as well. I hate exercise, I'd rather just diet, but not if my stamina will still be dire at the end. I'm exercising at the moment, have been for a couple of months now but it makes me feel like crap, especially when I don't feel any fitter or thinner. I heard it's supposed to release endorphins? Does the opposite to me I think...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope. If you lose weight via a combination of healthy diet and exercise then you will be fitter. If you lose weight simply by eating less but making no physical change whatsoever, then no.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of training you're doing. Also remember that muscle is more dense than fat... you can get 'fitter' and still gain weight. You'd be better off at looking at body fat % IMO.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't work like that.
    You need to do some sort of exercise that increases your heart rate in order to get fitter, or increase stamina.
    Simply dieting will not make you fitter, it is also much harder to lose weight via dieting.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, when I was losing weight I did it initially just from diet control, and when I finally started exercising I was shocked that my fitness was so poor. I assumed I'd be a lot fitter just from having lost the weight but it turned out not to be the case. Now I'm exercising, I'm noticing my fitness levels are increasing so I'm happy about that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fitter, not really.

Healthier, maybe.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for the replies then. I'm doing C25K at the moment, hate it. I guess I'll stick with it then, as well as doing my dieting. Never thought I'd say it, but dieting is more enjoyable than exercising!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ok, thanks for the replies then. I'm doing C25K at the moment, hate it. I guess I'll stick with it then, as well as doing my dieting. Never thought I'd say it, but dieting is more enjoyable than exercising!
    for now. the begining is the hardest part. if you stick to it you'll grow to love it.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will be healthier. You will lose visceral fat around your organs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha well if you're not doing any exercise then no, you won't get any fitter.

thin ≠ fit or healthy.

but also heavy ≠ unfit or unhealthy. you could be very heavy (and even fairly fat) but still be fit.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)
    haha well if you're not doing any exercise then no, you won't get any fitter.

thin ≠ fit or healthy.

but also heavy ≠ unfit or unhealthy. you could be very heavy (and even fairly fat) but still be fit.
    Yep, this is true. A guy I know is really fat, and I mean exceptionally fat, yet he plays a lot of sport and seems to excel at it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Yep, this is true. A guy I know is really fat, and I mean exceptionally fat, yet he plays a lot of sport and seems to excel at it.
    Sumo wrestling?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Sumo wrestling?
    Very funny.
    Cricket mostly, and he's quite good at badminton as well.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you're a batsman, never bowl (or at best bowl part-time offbreaks) and field in the slips, you can get away with being a fatty.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Why not find a sport or activity that you enjoy?

Dancing, martial arts, football, badminton, volleyball, hiking etc. etc.

Maybe if you stick with C25K you will start to enjoy it more as you get fitter but I wouldn't force yourself to do it for the sake of it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forcing yourself to do exercise that you don't enjoy isn't really the best way to increase your fitness because you aren't likely to keep it up and you'll eventually resent the sport or whatever you've chosen as your exercise.

Also quality is much more important than quantity when it comes to exercise. Doing sets of short sprints with rests in between 2-3 times a week along with some resistance training is much better for your body than long hours of cardio (on the extreme end look at Paula Radcliffe - ruined her body by 38 from all those marathons). In terms of minutes put in, sprinting also increases fitness much quicker than jogging, for instance.

By all means play some tennis or do some swimming alongside it or something, but making yourself do things you don't want to isn't going to bring success in the long run.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I've seen thin guys that could barely run 200m Stick at it OP, I'm sure you'll start feeling good about yourself and new body soon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    YES
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    if you're a batsman, never bowl (or at best bowl part-time offbreaks) and field in the slips, you can get away with being a fatty.
    Dwayne Leverock! Full time bowler
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you're losing weight by eating a healthy diet then yes, you're gett fitter as your body will produce more power from the same amount of oxygen

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.