The Student Room Group

MMU Crew/Cheshire

Hi guys,

I'm due to start a Sport exercise Science Degree at MMU Cheshire/Crewe Campus this year, yet i'm gutted that it's so far from all the action in the city. I'm considering staying in Manchester around Fallow fields so i can live the city life and then commute via my car or train to campus daily. Does anyone currently do this or know if it's do-able?

Cheers.
It's do-able, I attend that campus and live near the centre of Manchester, commuting via train. If you get the train from Piccadilly station you can go directly to Crewe and it's a 10 minute walk to campus from there. All you should really worry about is the cost; for a return ticket you're looking at around £10 per day, and a bit more if you want to use all train companies. From Manchester it takes around an hour to get to Crewe (walk to station 10-15 minutes, train 40 minutes, walk 10 minutes).
Reply 2
Cheers for that, are there no types of student train passes on offer? Or would I be better of diving? I'm travelling up to Crewe this weekend so I'll have a look around to get a feel for the journey, sounds do-able though.
Original post by spink91
Cheers for that, are there no types of student train passes on offer? Or would I be better of diving? I'm travelling up to Crewe this weekend so I'll have a look around to get a feel for the journey, sounds do-able though.

I think there are, I don't personally use one because I was only in 3 days a week during first year (not sure how many days yet for year 2!) so I don't think it was worth it, but you could get a 16-25 railcard that could give you a decent discount.
Reply 4
I'll have to check it out. I've had an offer from booth halls in Crewe now, all local to the CPUs so I might just stay their, seems easier. Just want to make sure I get a few nights out in Manchester!
Guys I'm returning for my second year and had a bunch of people travel from Manc and Stoke to get to Crewe for classes. Personally I stayed in Crewe old halls and it was great. You get your nights out in Manchester, especially in freshers, and going to Hanley in Stoke, Newcastle-under-lyme, Birmingham, Liverpool (highly recommended) and Leeds are regular because the trains run to pretty much everywhere you'd want from Crewe. Travelling isn't so bad, you basically end up spending your loan/grant on travelling instead of a room. The only thing I heard people say is it can get extremly boring having to travel every single day and lets face it, if your hungover it's gonna be even worse. I'd stay in Crewe if I was you. It's not a city but but you can make what you want of it. Any more questions at all let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending