The Student Room Group

Is UCL bad for enineering

Hi I was wondering whether UCL is as bad as it looks on Uni ranking websites overall UCL is good but apparently its worse at engineering than its overall score, Is this really correct?
Because I'm thinking of applying for Electronic Engineering & Computer Science there....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharliePhillips
Hi I was wondering whether UCL is as bad as it looks on Uni ranking websites overall UCL is good but apparently its worse at engineering than its overall score, Is this really correct?
Because I'm thinking of applying for Electronic Engineering & Computer Science there....

Which source suggested that UCL wasn't particularly good at engineering relative to its overall ranking?
UCL is fine for engineering. I've heard people on this forum say that its building isn't the nicest place, but whatever.

The reason some say that UCL is "bad" for engineering is because if you think that because it's a "target" for investment banking that this actually means anything for engineering or it's going to help get you a nice job you're wrong.
Reply 3
UCL is only bad for mechanical engineering. They are fine for all the others.
Original post by Podcaster
UCL is only bad for mechanical engineering. They are fine for all the others.

Why is it bad for mechanical engineering? What makes a university good or "bad" for mechanical engineering?
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Why is it bad for mechanical engineering? What makes a university good or "bad" for mechanical engineering?

I have heard from many people who study there that the department is in a dinghy basement, they have crappy old equipment, the lectures are dull and out of date etc.
Original post by Tullia
Which source suggested that UCL wasn't particularly good at engineering relative to its overall ranking?

Different rankings for example...

The QS world University Rankings UCL is 7th yet in engineering and technology its ranked 47th in the world!
Reply 7
so better than virtually every other UK university for engineering and technology as well then? Cambridge aside...

No, UCL is a good university, and it is in the Russell group. Engineering relies on a number of departments at the university being up to scratch, including mathematics, UCL ticks the boxes.

If you want to do electronics and computer science though, the undisputed champion in this area is Southampton, due to the RIDICULOUS budget that department has. I chose it over Cambridge, and didn't regret it one bit.

Stu Haynes, MEng MIET MIEEE
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
UCL is fine for engineering. I've heard people on this forum say that its building isn't the nicest place, but whatever.

The reason some say that UCL is "bad" for engineering is because if you think that because it's a "target" for investment banking that this actually means anything for engineering or it's going to help get you a nice job you're wrong.

Can you explain this again but in another way please? I think you're onto something but just a bit confused! Thanks
Original post by Smack

Quality of the research being undertaken at the University in the specific field. UCLs Mech Eng department mostly focus on Oil company research with very little diversity into Bio-mechanical, automotive, energy, aerospace ....etc....etc... as a result your lecturers whilst still good teachers have less opportunity/contacts/expertise to give you as good a quality experience as other Universities.

Industrial links are very poor, which leads to poor networking opportunities for students whilst you are at University.

Labs are very poor and outdated, they teach an ancient programming language to first years and most students there complain the modules are outdated.

Still a brilliant University to go to though, a Mech Eng from UCL is a brilliant degree.
Reply 10
Original post by Smack

The mechanical engineering department sucks apparently it's not as good as some other university departments for mechanical
Reply 11
Original post by pheonix254
so better than virtually every other UK university for engineering and technology as well then? Cambridge aside...

No, UCL is a good university, and it is in the Russell group. Engineering relies on a number of departments at the university being up to scratch, including mathematics, UCL ticks the boxes.

If you want to do electronics and computer science though, the undisputed champion in this area is Southampton, due to the RIDICULOUS budget that department has. I chose it over Cambridge, and didn't regret it one bit.

Stu Haynes, MEng MIET MIEEE

Not only is Southampton better than Cambridge for engineering but it has lower entry requirements they want AAA for most of their masters course as opposed to A*AA from Cambridge plus the extra stuff u gotta do to get In like interviews and tests and high ums scores! Cambridge is overated in my opinion
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a10
The mechanical engineering department sucks apparently it's not as good as some other university departments for mechanical

Could you have been any less informative? :rofl:
Reply 13
Original post by + polarity -
Could you have been any less informative? :rofl:

:wink:
Original post by Smack

Their mech.eng. department is in the dungeon
Reply 15
I went on their EEE taster in June and it was excellent
Been there, it's a little run down in the department but still very reputable.
Southampton is where I am going, didn't want to live in London and really liked the Southampton ECS department.
Original post by Smack

what do you mean by this?
Reply 18
What about their Engineering/Business finance program?

I was enthusiastic to do that because it mixes engineering and finance/accounting but the engineering is mostly mechanical. After reading the comments and other threads I'm reconsidering that choice. Any advice?
Reply 19
Hi. I am interested in applying to this course too. Have you submitted your UCAS??

Quick Reply

Latest