The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does everyone hate Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

the non-british people who the common hated areas in birmingham tell us how much they hate england yet live here and take our benefits.......
Reply 181
Original post by democracyforum
Because there are no British people there

2011 Census Results

57.9% White - 53.1 White British, 2.7% Other White, 2.1% White Irish
26.6% Asian - 13.5% Pakistani, 6.0% Indian, 3.0% Bangladeshi, 2.9% Other Asian, 1.2% Chinese
8.9% Black - 4.4% Caribbean, 2.8% African, 1.7% Other Black
4.4% Mixed Race - 2.3% White & Black Caribbean, 1.0% White & Asian, 0.8% Other Mixed, 0.3% White & Black African
1.0% - Arab
1.0% - Other
Reply 182
Original post by TRS-T
2011 Census Results

57.9% White - 53.1 White British, 2.7% Other White, 2.1% White Irish
26.6% Asian - 13.5% Pakistani, 6.0% Indian, 3.0% Bangladeshi, 2.9% Other Asian, 1.2% Chinese
8.9% Black - 4.4% Caribbean, 2.8% African, 1.7% Other Black
4.4% Mixed Race - 2.3% White & Black Caribbean, 1.0% White & Asian, 0.8% Other Mixed, 0.3% White & Black African
1.0% - Arab
1.0% - Other

Is that for Birmingham specifically?
Reply 183
Original post by py0alb
Is that for Birmingham specifically?

Yes it is according to Wikipedia.
Birmingham's just another big dense city.
The main thing that's bad about it though is National Express West Midlands :mad:
Reply 185
I lived there for a year, it isn't too bad. A lot of it is pretty miserable looking - just like most other big cities.

It doesn't look too different from a lot of LDN really. Although people from LDN will try to tell you different.
Original post by gozatron
I really like Birmingham!

People appreciate different architectural styles I suppose. Brindley place/Edgbaston are lovely! I really like Digbeth...

Digbeth? yeah all those abandoned buildings, 70s browns and greys, dirty streets, small mangy shops horrible people, brothels. But the coach station is nice (least its not a large shed anymore) not the least of which is that it will take you away from the place.

Original post by *Corinna*
I used to live in an area that classified as Selly Oak and it was beautiful. There was a massive park near by and the most beautiful roads with amazing houses. It was also close to the uni, maybe it wasn't the traditional selly oak area?

Main street selly oak has three brothels about five minutes from each other. And lets not forget cheap nasty food poisoning inducing fast food resturants everywhere - and it stinks.

Original post by My-My-My
I really like Birmingham. It may not seem like the most beautiful city from the ground, but I recently climbed to the 7th floor of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the view from the top was surprisingly green!
And it's not just about aesthetics, the night life is great, the shopping is some of the best outside of London and everyone is very friendly.

Friendly? What have you been smoking, brummies wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire. Might film it and put it on youtube though

I spent ten years in that tip of a city and ive never regretted leaving
Reply 187
It's nice here in Harborne but I agree, it isn't very exciting in Birmingham.
cud b the accent bruv
Reply 189
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I'm from Brum and most of it is a dump.

N. You are wrong. Birmigham is an amazing place, with amazing pepple, with amazing facilities. It is NOT A DUMP.
When I went to visit I expected it to be a dump cos of all the jokes comedians make etc. but I actually thought it was really lovely.
I live in Birmingham. It is actually a bit of **** hole. But its got some cool bits, I don't feel bored or unsafe here and some of the people are cool. Birmingham should never be compared to London though. London is THE city, there is London and the other cities.
Original post by PostgradMatt
I live in Birmingham. It is actually a bit of **** hole. But its got some cool bits, I don't feel bored or unsafe here and some of the people are cool. Birmingham should never be compared to London though. London is THE city, there is London and the other cities.

As my username suggests I am also from Birmingham. I have been to London a few times and I really prefer it here. Agreed the city has some very rough areas but so does every big city including London, Manchester and Liverpool to name a few. Birmingham has some great things such as the Bull Ring, Symphony Hall, Birmingham Hippodrome and many many other attractive features in the city centre alone. I do honestly prefer the trafford centre but to say Birmingham is a hole is dellusional as there are far worse places you can visit even in the UK.
never been
The accent.
I didn't like the uni, it was far too claustrophobic and out of the way for my liking.
I had a ridiculous crush on a guy from Birmingham for ages so the accent grew on me, I don't get the hate anymore. :colondollar:
Lots of areas are just fine! Edgbaston is nice and leafy and green, as is lots of Moseley. The canal areas around Brindley place/ mailbox are very smart, uni campus is lovely,hagley roads nice etc. I'm not even from there, i just don't think it deserves the reputation.
Original post by HKhan12
N. You are wrong. Birmigham is an amazing place, with amazing pepple, with amazing facilities. It is NOT A DUMP.

Its a matter of opinion. One man's dump is another's paradise...
It's the same for Liverpool and Newcastle - large cities with distinctive accent. Always get slagged off, that's just the way it is. Why cities rather than shire counties? Because most people have more of an idea of a city than they do of, say, what Warwickshire or Lancashire are like.

Why not Manchester? Because for the southern majority its accent doesn't sound distinctive enough from the generic "Northern" accent. Why not London? Because it's the stronghold of the southern majority. Why not Bristol? Because everybody always forgets completely that the south-west exists.
Original post by HKhan12

With that name, I bet your comment applies to the whole of the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending