The Student Room Group

Lost and need help!

Hey everyone first thread. I went to University (MMU) in 2006 and eventually dropped out, the course in question just wasn't good for me, and I became lost and disenchanted with the whole thing so left after I failed my first year and concentrated on the rat race, a choice I really regret now.

Well anyhow here I am now a freshly made 25 year old and I really want to get back into university. I want to get into a course I not only like, but see my self being able to complete, and use for a job I will find engaging and not mind numbling boring.

Now onto the part where I am lost and ohh so alone. I don't really know where to start. I have a BTEC national Diploma in multimedia with p/p/p and the maths and IT foundation year passed. What I want to do however is something along the lines of either history, creative writing or possibly a teaching path, maybe primary school or something along those lines.

I would love to apply as soon as possible but I am completely lost. Do I need an access to education course? Do I need to do my UCAS application right now even though it's so late and hope for a place? I really am completely lost on what path I should go down or who I could talk to for help on all of this. Any pointers would be worshiped for seven days.
Reply 1
I'd suggest an access course in September, I've just completed one and am starting uni this sept. The access course was only 13.5 hours a week and only a year long so cant complain really, can hold down a part time job while doing it. Obviously the hours will differ depending on subject/institution.
Original post by Enerzeal
Hey everyone first thread. I went to University (MMU) in 2006 and eventually dropped out, the course in question just wasn't good for me, and I became lost and disenchanted with the whole thing so left after I failed my first year and concentrated on the rat race, a choice I really regret now.

Well anyhow here I am now a freshly made 25 year old and I really want to get back into university. I want to get into a course I not only like, but see my self being able to complete, and use for a job I will find engaging and not mind numbling boring.

Now onto the part where I am lost and ohh so alone. I don't really know where to start. I have a BTEC national Diploma in multimedia with p/p/p and the maths and IT foundation year passed. What I want to do however is something along the lines of either history, creative writing or possibly a teaching path, maybe primary school or something along those lines.

I would love to apply as soon as possible but I am completely lost. Do I need an access to education course? Do I need to do my UCAS application right now even though it's so late and hope for a place? I really am completely lost on what path I should go down or who I could talk to for help on all of this. Any pointers would be worshiped for seven days.

Okay, first off. BREATHE! Lol.

I have done an Access to HE through Northumbria University. They are ok, not very challenging when compared with the Cambridge Pre-U etc but they do give you all the skills you need to do well at University and they are not a barrier applying to top Universities as some will tell you. I applied to Russel Group Universities and got 5/5 offers with mine and I am no exception.

I would spend some time on deciding what you want to read at University first and for most. This is the most important factor, particularly given your past educational experience with the wrong course at MMU, even if you haven't settled on a career path this isn't really a problem as your course will rule out a lot of possibilities because of incompatible skill-sets. This is paramount as the subjects on offer for many Access to HE Dip's are quite limited in there scope so making a bad choice there may seriously effect your desired outcomes.

May I ask why the change of heart with regards to the change of discipline area? Just with your previous qualifications History or Creative Writing seems a little out of step.

It may be presumptuous of me but don't feel disheartened by the time out you've had. Those skills are valuable, particularly your experience of multimedia technologies. There is nothing stopping you from taking another year, visiting departments maybe even shadowing some teachers. Your only 25, it may seem like you have so much time to make up but it's honestly not that bad.

Best of luck, you've already made the first steps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

In regards to my change of topics, my initial degree was Computer Games Technology and I was rather terrible at it. I have no maths aptitude and the course had two maths heavy units and the programming languages were taught with advanced maths in mind, so one thing led to another and I spiraled into failure because I got so far behind, became disheartened with it all..

Since leaving I have been able to evaluate both what I can do, and what I want to do. My artistic skills are rather poor when compared to what other people can create, yet since leaving my writing ability has catapulted into the fore. I did have a slight inclination to it at the end of high school which really surprised me but I went with what I wanted to do and not a mixture of skilled at and capable of doing. History also has become something of an interest to me and I've begun building up a large collection of history books focusing in all different areas.

I've also changed significantly as a person since then. I still harbor a love of computer games and their design, but do not care so much any longer for the development work. Now i read and enjoy stories so much more, creative writing is the telling of stories, and history is the reading of them, two things I could do for hours on end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending