The Student Room Group

Is a sandwich degree worth it?

I'm trying to decide whether to enter into the second year of a three year BSc(Hons) degree in Quantity Surveying or enter into the second year of a four year sandwich degree.

Is it almost guaranteed that I'd be able to get a placement if I decided to go for the sandwich degree? My concern is that I would not be able to get a placement which would mean a wasted year. If there is a chance that I will not be able to get a placement then I'd just do the two years at Uni and get it over and done with.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Bacon and egg or cheese and tomato?
Reply 2
I done an internship over summer 2011. Now I'm graduated and happy with that.
I was considering a sandwich degree before I started Uni. But I'm really glad I didn't and finished now.
Good luck.
Reply 3
sausage roll degree ftw! joking...my brother is in a similar situation and he's decided against the sandwich degree, he'd rather just get it over & done with like you say!
All women should have to do one :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by Ano1
I done an internship over summer 2011. Now I'm graduated and happy with that.
I was considering a sandwich degree before I started Uni. But I'm really glad I didn't and finished now.
Good luck.

That's probably what I'd do if I don't go for the sandwich degree - try and get an internship every summer. I just don't want to graduate with no actual work experience as a QS, I think I'd find it really difficult to get a job.
Reply 6
Original post by GSDog
That's probably what I'd do if I don't go for the sandwich degree - try and get an internship every summer. I just don't want to graduate with no actual work experience as a QS, I think I'd find it really difficult to get a job.

You would be surprised, cos I know a lot of people who graduated with a 2:2 and no work experience :frown:

Getting a 2:1 and having at least 1 internship and some retail work, and even some charity/voluntery stuff really helps! :smile:
I'm on a sandwich course with the option to just do it in 3 years if I want, but I reckon I will seeing the amount of students being unable to get a job after graduating due to a lack of relevant work experience.
Reply 8
Original post by GSDog
I'm trying to decide whether to enter into the second year of a three year BSc(Hons) degree in Quantity Surveying or enter into the second year of a four year sandwich degree.

Is it almost guaranteed that I'd be able to get a placement if I decided to go for the sandwich degree? My concern is that I would not be able to get a placement which would mean a wasted year. If there is a chance that I will not be able to get a placement then I'd just do the two years at Uni and get it over and done with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you fail to get a placement can you not change to the other degree that's three years?

It's a gamble, but it's one I'd take!
Yes, definitely. At my (old) university, you apply for internships during second year and if you fail to secure a placement, you carry straight on to the final year - no years wasted. Generally, if you are proactive and enthuasiatic you will secure a placement. And if you really enjoy your subject, what is bad about gaining extra experience?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/11/graduates-work-experience-jobs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending