The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Hey guys, I'm just coming up to sitting my AS exams and grades permitting I'd like to apply to oxbridge.

I am currently doing AS Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography. I am also doing an Extended Project on economics. GCSE grades...

Spoiler

I am predicted 4As for AS and an A in EPQ, is it worth applying without further maths? Is it worth self teaching AS further maths next year when I take my A2s? Any advice/thoughts are welcome :P
Original post by Audi
Hey guys, I'm just coming up to sitting my AS exams and grades permitting I'd like to apply to oxbridge.

I am currently doing AS Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography. I am also doing an Extended Project on economics. GCSE grades...

Spoiler

I am predicted 4As for AS and an A in EPQ, is it worth applying without further maths? Is it worth self teaching AS further maths next year when I take my A2s? Any advice/thoughts are welcome :P

In pretty much same position as you, I'm dropping English for AS FM next year. Also trying to do as many things to strengthen my PS over the Summer after exams. It isn't unheard of to get into Cambridge without FM but the Cambridge and LSE courses are very maths based. UCL, Warwick, Durham less so.

Still, I'm going to try and get the best possible Maths score for me this year for AS exams, self teach AS FM in Summer on run up to applications and then try and do my best with AS FM next year. Chances are any conditional offers I get may factor in my FM performance, who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giant
No pressure on final year students then haha

Tried PM'ing you although you have them set-off (wanted to ask you a question).
Original post by kari1015
Hi everyone, I'm going to reapply to study economics in my gap year as I was pooled and rejected this year. What sort of A2 result is realistic for getting an unconditional offer? Eg: over 2/3A*? Should the average UMS still be over 90 at A2 level? I'm thinking about applying to St John's this time. Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am at John's. Across 15, Yes 15, economists, our UMS average is 97.4%. This includes 4 people who had 100% across their top three. [DoS told us]

Numbers game doesn't work - John's had 60 applicants in 2013 and 124 in 2014. They pooled 20+ this year

Apply where you think you'll be happiest - If that's john's then good :biggrin:
Original post by Extricated
I am at John's. Across 15, Yes 15, economists, our UMS average is 97.4%. This includes 4 people who had 100% across their top three. [DoS told us]

Numbers game doesn't work - John's had 60 applicants in 2013 and 124 in 2014. They pooled 20+ this year

Apply where you think you'll be happiest - If that's john's then good :biggrin:

Do you know the general UMS average for Cambridge? 93%, 95%, 97%?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2245
Original post by EHZ17
Do you know the general UMS average for Cambridge? 93%, 95%, 97%?

I'd say it's about 95-97%, that's what I had anyway. They say the average UMS score for the whole university is about 94-95% and that increases for competitive subjects like Economics and Medicine. However, my friend got an offer for economics with a 90% average. As long as you get 90%+ you've got a chance, and that chance increases once you hit the 95% threshold. Having said that, high UMS doesn't guarantee an offer and there are still other factors involved as you should know.
Original post by Giant
I'd say it's about 95-97%, that's what I had anyway. They say the average UMS score for the whole university is about 94-95% and that increases for competitive subjects like Economics and Medicine. However, my friend got an offer for economics with a 90% average. As long as you get 90%+ you've got a chance, and that chance increases once you hit the 95% threshold. Having said that, high UMS doesn't guarantee an offer and there are still other factors involved as you should know.

I agree with this. I would qualify your "over 90% you have a chance" comment by saying for competitive and science subjects this applies mostly to those who had elements of background disadvantage or who didn't come from good grammar and Independent schools in the south of England. Otherwise it may be nearer >93%.
However fir those who haven't read the whole conversation, Arts are definitely from a wider UMS pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
What grades you think you probably need for Cambridge to do economics. It is ranked the 10th best on the Guardian but I think you probably still need A* and A's at a-level or am i wrong? Also do you know anybody doing economics at Cambridge?
Clearly stated on their web site typical offer is A*AA
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dilkaran
What grades you think you probably need for Cambridge to do economics. It is ranked the 10th best on the Guardian but I think you probably still need A* and A's at a-level or am i wrong? Also do you know anybody doing economics at Cambridge?

I've merged your thread into the Cambridge students and applicants thread :smile:

If you've got questions to ask current students, this is the place to do so.

Don't be fooled. It's the hardest Economics course to get into in the country. The Guardian rankings are a complete joke. You'll need all As at AS, with UMS at least averaging in the high 80s. The average successful applicant has an average UMS of 95, that's an average of course so people get in with higher and lower. In my year a friend got rejected before interview with an average of 87. Anecdotal evidence, but again make of that what you will.
Hi!
I'm new in this forum, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes....
I'm an italian student, next year I hope to apply to some univesrities to study Economics in the UK, and actually one of my choises is Cambridge.
But, as I read, the Economics course require almost in every college a written test with maths problems, and even if the college doesn't require the test the interviewers may ask maths questions, so I want to get prepared. My problem is that here in Italy we may not cover all the topics that might be helpful to solve those problems in the tests, and, however, I've not finished school, so I will study many topics next year... I'm thinking about a self study this summer, but I don't know exactly which topics are required to pass the test...
Can anyone who knows how the admission test are like help me? Which topics should I study? How are the mathematical problems and questions like?

Thank you <3
Original post by Irene22
Hi!
I'm an italian student, next year I hope to apply to some univesrities to study Economics in the UK, and actually one of my choises is Cambridge.
But, as I read, the Economics course require almost in every college a written test with maths problems, and even if the college doesn't require the test the interviewers may ask maths questions, so I want to get prepared. My problem is that here in Italy we may not cover all the topics that might be helpful to solve those problems in the tests, and, however, I've not finished school, so I will study many topics next year... I'm thinking about a self study this summer, but I don't know exactly which topics are required to pass the test...
Can anyone who knows how the admission test are like help me? Which topics should I study? How are the mathematical problems and questions like?

Thank you <3

I don't think we're allowed to discuss what is on the tests, but you can have a look on the college websites. For instance, Downing I believe puts an example of the sorts of the questions on the test. I think it's mainly calculus. Also for economics, it is likely to involve graphs at interview.
Original post by Irene22
Hi!

Thank you <3

If you look back through this thread you should find some information - this has been asked many times before. Know your calculus and statistics for starters, then maybe consider some mathematical models. :smile:
Original post by KTPCH96
I have one question! urgent! I have noticed that Maths is important for economics at Cambridge, do you think taking a STEP1 exam in year 12 and put it on your ps will impress the teachers at cambridge and improve my chance of getting in???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If you do well it might, but you're probably better off concentrating on your A level Maths (and Further Maths) to maximise your UMS on those.
Original post by KTPCH96
I have one question! urgent! I have noticed that Maths is important for economics at Cambridge, do you think taking a STEP1 exam in year 12 and put it on your ps will impress the teachers at cambridge and improve my chance of getting in???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Doing STEP 1 and getting an S or a 1 may be an advantage, but getting a 2 or a 3 could be a disadvantage. Don't forget that over half of students have done well enough to get Cambridge maths offers do not make their 1,1 STEP offers. If you have not started preparing now for this summer it's too late. If for next year it's hardly urgent?
So I would agree with the comment to concentrate over the summer on your FM, calculus and stats. And stop leaning on the ? Key.

Bump, just so others in a similar predicament see this:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-economics

From 10th to 2nd, with LSE down in 6th behind Queen Mary. Honestly, the Guardian tables are the last thing anyone should be using to decide which uni to go to.
Original post by zxh800
Bump, just so others in a similar predicament see this:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-economics

From 10th to 2nd, with LSE down in 6th behind Queen Mary. Honestly, the Guardian tables are the last thing anyone should be using to decide which uni to go to.

Those satisfaction scores are still quite low, though. Is the teaching actually relatively poor, or is the survey exaggerating how bad it is?
Original post by username42
Those satisfaction scores are still quite low, though. Is the teaching actually relatively poor, or is the survey exaggerating how bad it is?

I think it's exaggerating how bad it is for sure. I think some of the dissatisfaction may come from some having high standards, which they feel are not being met, rather than the teaching being objectively worse than elsewhere. Some lecturers are really good and some not so much. But, the faculty do listen to feedback and make appropriate changes. I wouldn't say any of my lecturers were particularly bad this year.

But, the big thing that the satisfaction scores completely miss is the supervision system. I can't remember ever having to fill out formal feedback forms regarding supervisors. The supervision system is what really gives Cambridge the edge, excluding Oxford, it's completely unparalleled. Obviously the above is dependent on having good supervisors and generally they are of good quality but some have been exceptional. Having such close access to experts in their field is fantastic if you can make the most of it.

The extra support does come with a price though, the workload is high and exams are difficult. But, that is to be expected.
Original post by username42

Back in my day they encouraged us not to reply to any of the surveys so we got an "N/A" for the satisfaction column. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending