The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Guys I wondered what you think my chances are.
GCSEs 10A*s
AS levels 5As (Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
A2 levels (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology/Physics - not yet sure) - all A* predictions BUT UMS average of 92.4% FM+M combined 94 FP1, 97, S1, 100.
I know I am not doing economics but EPQ + seriouly obsessive/interested in economics, finance, politics and history, - I think I can handle the 'show interest part'.
I am looking for percentage chance if possible.
Original post by bobbybob12
Guys I wondered what you think my chances are.
GCSEs 10A*s
AS levels 5As (Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
A2 levels (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology/Physics - not yet sure) - all A* predictions BUT UMS average of 92.4% FM+M combined 94 FP1, 97, S1, 100.
I know I am not doing economics but EPQ + seriouly obsessive/interested in economics, finance, politics and history, - I think I can handle the 'show interest part'.
I am looking for percentage chance if possible.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/285755/response/703697/attach/2/FOI%202015%20262%20Kim%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

If you are going to succeed you need to be able to do a little research yourself and a minimal reading of some of the main threads would have told you that on the basis of GCSEs and A2 predictions we cannot possibly produce a percentage chance for you. We don't know your background or how you will interview or the rest of your UMS.
There are facts out there such as the relevant figures are your best three(maths &Fm as one) and that Economics overall has about a 1:6 success rate so is one of the most competitive courses.
The typical UMS is given as 96% for Economics with a definite upward trend in recent years. A maths UMS of 92.4 is a but on the low side but not outside of the range where offers are made.

Try reading through the threads on UMS, Economics, are my grades good enough and the stalking page if you want to get a feel for your chances. But in the end you have to decide if you are happy to apply knowing you have four more choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/285755/response/703697/attach/2/FOI%202015%20262%20Kim%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

If you are going to succeed you need to be able to do a little research yourself and a minimal reading of some of the main threads would have told you that on the basis of GCSEs and A2 predictions we cannot possibly produce a percentage chance for you. We don't know your background or how you will interview or the rest of your UMS.
There are facts out there such as the relevant figures are your best three(maths &Fm as one) and that Economics overall has about a 1:6 success rate so is one of the most competitive courses.
The typical UMS is given as 96% for Economics with a definite upward trend in recent years. A maths UMS of 92.4 is a but on the low side but not outside of the range where offers are made.

Try reading through the threads on UMS, Economics, are my grades good enough and the stalking page if you want to get a feel for your chances. But in the end you have to decide if you are happy to apply knowing you have four more choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths combined gives 94 NOT 92.4. With 96 single, 92 further, in specifics, 97 FP1 and 100 S1 all others above 90.
Chemistry 90
Physics 90
4 subject combined, taking double maths as one gives 91.3
By the way economics is now a 7/8 applicants per place.
Maths combined gives 94 NOT 92.4. With 96 single, 92 further, in specifics, 97 FP1 and 100 S1 all others above 90.
Chemistry 90
Physics 90
4 subject combined, taking double maths as one gives 91.3
By the way economics is now a 7/8 applicants per place.

As previously mentioned, I don't think anyone can really give you a percentage chance - to do that we'd have to have all aspects of your application and interview you as well, and even then the confidence interval would be massive. Oh and 7 applicants per place is a 1:6 success rate. :h:

In my opinion your grades are worth giving it a go if that's what you want to do (would you really want to go to your 5th/6th choice anyway?), but you'll be a little behind the average at the outset. As long as you get to interview though you will have a chance. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by QueenOfNachos
Now I am not taking FM classes in school, how is Cambridge supposed to know I am teaching myself FM? Do I write it into my Personal statement, or do I ask my maths teacher to predict me an A?

Original post by MiloHVLeonard
I'd say you should ask you teacher to put it in their reference, since you're not really supposed to talk about A levels in your personal statement - but also ask them for an A prediction!

And you can include it in the SAQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like I've probably forgotten most of my maths over the summer. What A-level maths stuff would it be useful to revise before term starts?
Original post by alex_hk90
As previously mentioned, I don't think anyone can really give you a percentage chance - to do that we'd have to have all aspects of your application and interview you as well, and even then the confidence interval would be massive. Oh and 7 applicants per place is a 1:6 success rate. :h:

In my opinion your grades are worth giving it a go if that's what you want to do (would you really want to go to your 5th/6th choice anyway?), but you'll be a little behind the average at the outset. As long as you get to interview though you will have a chance. Good luck! :smile:

Hi are you an ex-student, and if so do you know if Cambridge have already narrowed down the candidates before interviews. By the way thanks for your advice.
Hi are you an ex-student, and if so do you know if Cambridge have already narrowed down the candidates before interviews. By the way thanks for your advice.

Yes. They've narrowed it down to the ones they want to call to interview.

Yes, as shown in my TSR signature and profile, I was a Cambridge Economics student back in the day. :smile: And yes they do narrow down the candidates somewhat before interviews (more and more as grades continue to inflate; there didn't used to be so many with higher grades who would apply in the first place). You're welcome. :h:
Original post by alex_hk90
Yes, as shown in my TSR signature and profile, I was a Cambridge Economics student back in the day. :smile: And yes they do narrow down the candidates somewhat before interviews (more and more as grades continue to inflate; there didn't used to be so many with higher grades who would apply in the first place). You're welcome. :h:

Out of interest where are you know as an ex-student, masters, public, private sector? What proportion of the students in your year roughly went onto to do a masters?
Out of interest where are you know as an ex-student, masters, public, private sector? What proportion of the students in your year roughly went onto to do a masters?

I'm in the private sector. I don't know what proportion went on to do a Masters; not that many I would say (my guess would be less than 25%). If you do want to do a Masters though, it shouldn't be too difficult as long as you get a 1st or a 2.1.
Is Part IIA Paper 6 essential/highly recommended for taking the ETA paper?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Is Part IIA Paper 6 essential/highly recommended for taking the ETA paper?

If I remember correctly Part IIA Paper 6 is a mandatory pre-requisite for Part IIB Paper 4 (ETA), yes.
Original post by EHZ17
Is the economist and ft free and accessible in the UL/college libraries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its available in the Marshall Library (Economics Library) and in some colleges (mine - Girton). Not sure for all though and doubt it in the UL
Original post by username42
I feel like I've probably forgotten most of my maths over the summer. What A-level maths stuff would it be useful to revise before term starts?

Don't worry about mechanics or much of decision if you studied these. Focus on stats and calculus
Reply 2575
will I be disadvantaged applying without Economics A level? My A levels are maths, fm, physics, history. 96.2%avg. 4a* predictions. gcses-12a* 1a
Original post by Lisb
will I be disadvantaged applying without Economics A level? My A levels are maths, fm, physics, history. 96.2%avg. 4a* predictions. gcses-12a* 1a

No it's not required by most colleges. And having FM is a good thing.

Check your specific college's requirements.
Original post by rasclerhys
Its available in the Marshall Library (Economics Library) and in some colleges (mine - Girton). Not sure for all though and doubt it in the UL

Thanks, I have just messaged you two quick questions. If you can't get round to them don't worry!
Original post by EHZ17
Thanks, I have just messaged you two quick questions. If you can't get round to them don't worry!

Sorry for the delay, but I've replied
Reply 2579
Original post by jneill
No it's not required by most colleges. And having FM is a good thing.

Check your specific college's requirements.

I am asking if I am disadvantaged - I know it isn't essential but is listed as desirable...
so, will it hinder my application considering my ums and other a levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending