Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently an AS student and am looking to study Economics at uni. I am looking at Cambridge as one of my choices, and looking at the prospectus I really like the look of Robinson college. I was just wondering if I have a chance of getting in. At GCSE I achieved 10A*s and 2As and the A levels i'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Music.
    I hope to get As in all of them and hopefully an A* in maths?
    Am i being over realistic and if I am what other universities should I consider choosing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozzabozza)
    Hi,

I am currently an AS student and am looking to study Economics at uni. I am looking at Cambridge as one of my choices, and looking at the prospectus I really like the look of Robinson college. I was just wondering if I have a chance of getting in. At GCSE I achieved 10A*s and 2As and the A levels i'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Music.
    I hope to get As in all of them and hopefully an A* in maths?
    Am i being over realistic and if I am what other universities should I consider choosing?
    Your GSCEs are really good - but I will be perfectly honest with you (since honesty is always the best policy :P), your predicted grades might hold you back. You have to keep in mind that you are going against people who are predicted 3,4 or 5 A*s at A2. And most people also have a 90% or above average. Plus Economics is extremely competitive.

But if you feel that you have a lot to give, a lot of passion and knowledge and that you will preform well if you get an interview then by all means it is worth a shot. If they like your passion for the subject you have a really good chance of getting an offer. But you will definitely need at least one A* prediction, without a doubt.

I got an offer for Econ this year from Gonville and Caius, so feel free to drop me a message if you have any other questions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge's official view:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ses/economics/

"course requirements:"
    "Given the increasingly technical nature of economic theory, it is now essential that applicants have A Level Mathematics (or equivalent). Economics and Further Mathematics are considered useful preparation but are not essential. A Level Business Studies can be helpful if you are unable to take Economics."

So you will not be rejected on your subject choice alone. Whilst other candidates may have slightly more favoured subjects, Cambridge will not assess you on subject choice alone. If you have done/ are doing well, then I'm sure you will get an interview, and if you impress, perhaps an offer. Economics at Cambridge is extremely competitive though; you need to be very good to get in.

So your chances are more dependent on how good you are, how well you are doing, how interested you are in economics. Not having Further maths is not a huge disadvantage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneTimer)
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.
    I got in without it. Not sure what you're really after in terms of experience though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    I got in without it. Not sure what you're really after in terms of experience though...
    That's exactly what I was after.. an example of somebody who has got in without it

I am going to apply post-application for a second time. I applied to Oxford for PPE this year and didnt even get an interview. My A2s are Maths, Economics and Politics. I am predicted to get AA*A* and in my AS History last year I got an A. GCSE's I have 6A* 5A.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Hi OneTimer,
    I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order).

What other A Levels/Pre U's do you do? I know it is generally considered that if your school offers Further Maths you need a very good reason to not be doing it.

Hope that helps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean732)
    I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order)
    Bloody hell that's a tough offer
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Bloody hell that's a tough offer
    Perhaps so, but it's a breeze compared to the Economics Tripos itself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi OneTimer,
    I got an offer for 2012 entry and my conditions were an A* in Maths and then one A* and and A in Economics and Further Maths (either order).

What other A Levels/Pre U's do you do? I know it is generally considered that if your school offers Further Maths you need a very good reason to not be doing it.

Hope that helps
    My subjects are Pre-U Maths, Pre-U Economics, A-Level Politics and I did AS History (A grade)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My subjects are Pre-U Maths, Pre-U Economics, A-Level Politics and I did AS History (A grade)
    I don't know exactly how the workload compares between Pre-U's and A Levels (I assume Pre-U's require slightly more work); your choices are good and you can avoid maths to some extent through more history and political papers.

It's certainly worth applying as long as your predicted grades are all A/A* equivalent and you have good AS's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know exactly how the workload compares between Pre-U's and A Levels (I assume Pre-U's require slightly more work); your choices are good and you can avoid maths to some extent through more history and political papers.

It's certainly worth applying as long as your predicted grades are all A/A* equivalent and you have good AS's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions
    Do you know if there are any colleges i should specifically avoid applying to because of not having further maths? I cant remember where or by whom but I recall being advised that colleges differ on the importance of having further maths
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if there are any colleges i should specifically avoid applying to because of not having further maths? I cant remember where or by whom but I recall being advised that colleges differ on the importance of having further maths
    Hi there,
    I don't think you should worry about not having further maths, just make sure you get good grades this year. I had this same worry about not having further maths, but I do regret letting this worry stop me applying to particular unis. However, I got an offer from Cambridge without it. Just look to see which college you'd like to apply to (maybe make a list) and then go in that order, finding about the college and it's requirements.
    Just a head's up for your list- King's do not mind if you don't have further maths
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge state on their website that Maths is essential and Economics and Further Maths are desirable; I guess you may have to make a stronger interview and show your aptitude for maths more but I don't believe it's a huge issue.

As for the colleges, the course is taught by the University as a whole but I do recall seeing a table somewhere on their website which noted which colleges preferred Further Maths - can't seem to find it at the moment I'm afraid.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I think they may be concerned if your maths is not up to A* (D2) standard especially as you will be having to "catch up" on the FM statistics aspects you won't have covered in sixth form.

Realistically your chances start at 15% as an Economics applicant and of those who get in a high proportion will be predicted A*A*A* or better including FM. Don't forget your next three choices (typically LSE, UCL, Warwick) also look for FM & UCL at least make A* in single maths compulsory.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I think they may be concerned if your maths is not up to A* (D2) standard especially as you will be having to "catch up" on the FM statistics aspects you won't have covered in sixth form.

Realistically your chances start at 15% as an Economics applicant and of those who get in a high proportion will be predicted A*A*A* or better including FM. Don't forget your next three choices (typically LSE, UCL, Warwick) also look for FM & UCL at least make A* in single maths compulsory.
    If you get an A* in maths early but it's suppose something like 88 96...will that (the 88) adversely affect your chances? What if you resit it and get 95+? It's just I do Edexcel which sets easy papers with extremely high grade boundaries which fails to differentiate between the strongest candidates but rather those that are good at not making sign slip errors etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    If you get an A* in maths early but it's suppose something like 88 96...will that (the 88) adversely affect your chances? What if you resit it and get 95+? It's just I do Edexcel which sets easy papers with extremely high grade boundaries which fails to differentiate between the strongest candidates but rather those that are good at not making sign slip errors etc.
    Not at all, although sitting maths A2 in year 12 is not really considered "early" as so many schools do this. Higher is always better but they also assess your maths ability at interview and it is your overall AS average they compare when it comes to their "best three" score. On the whole the stats modules are the most important and these are worth trying hard for. I suppose someone who could never score above 90% on any stats might worry them.
    They make it very clear that a one off low module doesn't matter (I got 82 on one Economics module, resat and got 100 and they gave me an offer before I resat.)
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    95 91 88 im guessing 86 next NOT 96!!!!!! fffffffffffffs

:rip:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I would even venture that the effect it will have on your chances will be minimal. I had 89, 86 at the time of applying in C3/C4. When it comes to things like this, other factors like how you do at interview and the quality of submitted work would be far more important than a mark here or there. Maybe it could make the difference in a highly marginal decision, but even then there would be other things which could be improved upon that would be more important.
    However, I would think about resitting if you feel you are not happy with your performance in C3 and want to consolidate your knowledge. You need to be totally comfortable with core maths going into Cambridge.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Ray_Han's answer. I got 87/96 and it wasn't a problem. At that point other factors come in to play, a friend got 99/100 or something and I'm afraid he didn't get in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.