The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bhogs001
Oh cool! which college did you go to?

Pembroke, matriculated 2008, graduated 2011. :h: And if you're still looking at colleges I would highly recommend it! :yep:
Original post by amg_22
thought i did ok (with the exception of one exam)

my results were:
chemistry - A (93%)
economics - A (97.5%)
further maths - A (93.3%)
history - A (94%)
maths - A (96%)
general studies - B (75%

how about yourself?

Those are some decent grades! Why does your school insist on you doing general studies?!
Still undecided as to college, but I've been set on Cambridge for a while!

My AS grades:
French - A - 94
Maths - A - 93
History - A - 92
German - A - 92
Further Mathematics - A - 87
Economics - A - 86 (I got a B in one paper, hopefully a remark changes this!)

Who here has started their PS? I haven't. :/
Original post by alex_hk90
Pembroke, matriculated 2008, graduated 2011. :h: And if you're still looking at colleges I would highly recommend it! :yep:

i was thinking of st catharines/christs...
Original post by JOR2010
Still undecided as to college, but I've been set on Cambridge for a while!

My AS grades:
French - A - 94
Maths - A - 93
History - A - 92
German - A - 92
Further Mathematics - A - 87
Economics - A - 86 (I got a B in one paper, hopefully a remark changes this!)

Who here has started their PS? I haven't. :/

I swear you said you had!
i was thinking of st catharines/christs...

I don't know much about St Catz, Christ's is quite nice though. :smile:
I don't know much about St Catz, Christ's is quite nice though. :smile:

Thats nice to know! Do you have to get over a certain % ums in your as levels to get in??
Reply 1307
Original post by JOR2010
Those are some decent grades! Why does your school insist on you doing general studies?!

to put it bluntly - so the average UCAS points of the college is higher. that way it can brag about how it does better than most private schools when the bottom line is it does not.

it's so stupid as its a lose lose situation. if you do well no one cares. if you do badly it only puts you at a disadvantage. my situation is the latter as if i had not done the exam my average UMS would had been 95% in 5 'academic' subjects!

at the end of the day i didn't deserve an A. i attended ~30% of the lectures, may of not made a difference but who knows. but it is so stupid that it is a compulsory A level and should be gotten rid of.
Reply 1308
or optional^

but come on who will take it then :laugh:
I'm applying to Emmanuel college (probably).

I messed up Econ module 1 though... 82/100. And for physics, I hate ISA's with a passion. 44/60........
Original post by amg_22
to put it bluntly - so the average UCAS points of the college is higher. that way it can brag about how it does better than most private schools when the bottom line is it does not.

it's so stupid as its a lose lose situation. if you do well no one cares. if you do badly it only puts you at a disadvantage. my situation is the latter as if i had not done the exam my average UMS would had been 95% in 5 'academic' subjects!

at the end of the day i didn't deserve an A. i attended ~30% of the lectures, may of not made a difference but who knows. but it is so stupid that it is a compulsory A level and should be gotten rid of.

Your UMS for ranking is 95.4 They will discount Chemistry and GS.

They will like your good maths scores.
Thats nice to know! Do you have to get over a certain % ums in your as levels to get in??

For Economics the majority are clear of 95% average in their best three.

No, there is not strict % you need to get over. Obviously the higher the better but if you get to interview you will have some chance.
Reply 1313
Original post by Colmans
Your UMS for ranking is 95.4 They will discount Chemistry and GS.

They will like your good maths scores.

i dropped history though. funnily enough it turns out the exam i thought i failed (get a B/C) i ended up getting full UMS. does this mean they will count chemistry as my third subject instead/ be confused why i dropped it?

edit: for ranking? does this mean they will list people on their average?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
I'm applying to Emmanuel college (probably).

I messed up Econ module 1 though... 82/100. And for physics, I hate ISA's with a passion. 44/60........

Looking at your sig, your scores are good enough. Just make sure the other aspects of your application are.
Original post by Colmans
For Economics the majority are clear of 95% average in their best three.

Well I got 81,81,92. Not that good imo...
Reply 1316
Hey everyone,

I got into Gonville and Caius to read Economics this year. TSR was a massive help to me last year for UCAS, so I would love to help this year.

Any questions just feel free to ask :smile:

Nadine x
Applying to John's probably :

Maths/Further Maths : 830/900 with A*
Economics - 198/200
Chemistry - 266/300

Not ideal UMS I know but I hope i'm in with a chance.
Original post by Extricated
Applying to John's probably :

Maths/Further Maths : 830/900 with A*
Economics - 198/200
Chemistry - 266/300

Not ideal UMS I know but I hope i'm in with a chance.

I'm presuming you're carrying on all 4 (well, 3) subjects to A2? In any case, I would expect you to get an interview. :yep:
I'm presuming you're carrying on all 4 (well, 3) subjects to A2? In any case, I would expect you to get an interview. :yep:

It's an average of 95.5% excluding chemistry and 93.3% with chemistry, which I think should get me an interview too. I self taught 3 modules in under a month which shall be explained in reference.

thanks for all your help by the way :smile:

Quick Reply