The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Change of degree programme

I know that it is theoretically possible to change degree programme between two faculties but practically is it hard to so? (especially, transferring from engineering sciences to mathematical and physical sciences or vice versa) :confused:

Maybe someone had the same experience. :colondollar:
I switched universities, but in that case I had to reapply through UCAS (as told by the admissions tutor). Ideally, contact the faculty in question and see what they can do, talk about why you want to switch and your grades. Yeah, bull**** like a personal statement :wink:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Also, you are likely to be asked to start from scratch (ie from the first year) but I think it's totally possible and easier than reapplying through UCAS - as long as you meet the entry requirements.
Reply 3
The best thing to do is phone or email the relevant department and ask them. I switched from Psychology to Law easy enough. They took a look at my grades I obtained this year and at A level - I then wrote a new PS and sent them a reference from my tutor. If you currently study engineering switching to maths or the physical sciences shouldn't be too difficult. Look at the entry requirements on their web page and see if you meet them!
Reply 4
Original post by RobertWhite
The best thing to do is phone or email the relevant department and ask them. I switched from Psychology to Law easy enough. They took a look at my grades I obtained this year and at A level - I then wrote a new PS and sent them a reference from my tutor. If you currently study engineering switching to maths or the physical sciences shouldn't be too difficult. Look at the entry requirements on their web page and see if you meet them!

I don't think you'd ever be able to get into Law at UCL through a 2nd year transfer...
Reply 5
Original post by tkane
I don't think you'd ever be able to get into Law at UCL through a 2nd year transfer...

Why is this relevant to the conversation we're having here and who said anything about a 2nd year transfer? :lolwut:
Reply 6
Original post by RobertWhite
Why is this relevant to the conversation we're having here and who said anything about a 2nd year transfer? :lolwut:

Well the OP doesn't mention what year he is in so I assumed he's finished year 1. Also this is in the UCL sub forum...
Reply 7
Original post by tkane
Well the OP doesn't mention what year he is in so I assumed he's finished year 1. Also this is in the UCL sub forum...

It would be common to transfer to the first year of the program unless you're switching from a course like Biological Sciences to something like Biomedical Science. Because of this you will be evaluated on the same basis as all the other applicants. Switching courses is very common and the receiving departments realise the individual has spent a year at university which is considered an advantage. If there were vacancies then there is no reason I couldn't switch to Law if I studied Psychology at UCL as I meet all their entry requirements - the same goes for the OP.
Reply 8
I have a similar inquiry but in my case I want to transfer from pure Maths to pure Physics, the entry requirements isnt a problem (since if I meet my offer, I will have met the Physics one too) but who should I contact? Apparently they have to have space on the course for you to be able to transfer and Im not sure what that actually means, as in is there a fixed maximum amount of people they can take in every year that varies from course to course?
Original post by Yaqub
I have a similar inquiry but in my case I want to transfer from pure Maths to pure Physics, the entry requirements isnt a problem (since if I meet my offer, I will have met the Physics one too) but who should I contact? Apparently they have to have space on the course for you to be able to transfer and Im not sure what that actually means, as in is there a fixed maximum amount of people they can take in every year that varies from course to course?

The only way to find out is to call the admissions tutor at physics, between 8 and 10am as that is considered as serious business, and explain your situation. Do make sure that you have a tutor's reference, as it is useful.

If transfers are made within UCL, there is no need to apply via UCAS, this is only for those between universities; for an intra-university transfer, this job is normally covered by the administration.

Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Was looking into doing a similar thing. There are two scenarios that you can look at this from:

1. You have already done one year of Engineering and are transferring to MAPS, if this is the case they will be probably be looking for a 2.1 in your first year, 2.2 if you're lucky but that would be pushing it.

2. You have only just begun the degree, switching courses in your first month isn't too difficult if you have the relevant A Levels/IB and since it's Eng -> MAPS you should have the correct subjects anyway.

As said above call them up and ask. Most likely the person you first call up will be one of the key people to make the choice so be nice and polite and give your reasons for changing the course and why you want to do this course. Writing the reasons down beforehand will help.

Good luck!
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for your replies. :smile:

But what about switching from MAPS to faculty of engineering sciences ?

I have not started my first year at UCL yet. I was wondering, what could happen at worst ? For example, if they do not have space or if they think that my reason for changing the course is not strong enough. :confused:
Reply 12
Original post by Waseda
Thanks everyone for your replies. :smile:

But what about switching from MAPS to faculty of engineering sciences ?

I have not started my first year at UCL yet. I was wondering, what could happen at worst ? For example, if they do not have space or if they think that my reason for changing the course is not strong enough. :confused:

If you want to switch but can't then you just stay with MAPS, simple. If you do want to switch courses get in early and contact your faculty. But don't worry too much I know someone whom went from Electrical Engineering to Computer Science in the first month at UCL and it went pretty smoothly.

I don't think there will be any situation where you could lose your current place by trying to switch courses.

Quick Reply

Latest