Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Not to do with education but I need your help guys

Announcements Posted on
At uni or currently applying? Take our short accommodation survey to win one of 5 x £20 Amazon vouchers 25-06-2016
  1. Offline

    So melting lead into ingots in my homemade furnace and it starts bubbling and yellow fumes come of the lead whilst it's a liquid. Gas forms a yellow powder on the sides of the furnace and a yellow film is formed in the crucible. Lead is from air rifle pellets and had been heated for a while at a temperature which can just, like just, melt the steel of a fire extinguisher.

    What is the gas and will it kill me to breathe in in, thanks, Ali
  2. Offline

    What does it smell like??
  3. Offline

    (Original post by Avenged616)
    What is the gas and will it kill me to breathe in in, thanks, Ali
    Molten lead will give off a vapour that will indeed kill you if you breathe it in for long enough. Ok, that might take a long while, but it is definitely not good for you. Lead used to be added to petrol to improve engine performance, but was banned because of its toxicity - you should not be breathing it in.

    Wikipedia says: "Lead is a highly poisonous metal (regardless if inhaled or swallowed), affecting almost every organ and system in the body. The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children."

    Regarding the yellow stuff, I'd guess it is lead oxide.
  4. Offline

    It's more than likely to be lead oxide, I doubt it will do you much good but I'm not sure if it's toxic.
  5. Offline

    Thanks guys, that all makes sense - PbO may be prepared by heating lead metal in air at approx. 600 °C. At this temperature it is also the end product of oxidation of other lead oxides in air.

    Lead oxide may be fatal if swallowed or inhaled. It causes irritation to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It affects gum tissue, central nervous system, kidneys, blood, and reproductive system. It can bioaccumulate in plants and in mammals. Looks like I'll be wearing a ventilator mask from now on and putting a lid on the crucible. :eek:
  6. Offline

    Either lead (II) oxide, or an oxide of other trace transition metals present in what is probably an alloy.

    Either way, breathing in the vapours is a BAD idea. Gloves, safety specs and a mask would def be a good idea.
  7. Offline

    Thanks for all your help


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which way did you want the referendum to go?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.