The Student Room Group

Not to do with education but I need your help guys

So melting lead into ingots in my homemade furnace and it starts bubbling and yellow fumes come of the lead whilst it's a liquid. Gas forms a yellow powder on the sides of the furnace and a yellow film is formed in the crucible. Lead is from air rifle pellets and had been heated for a while at a temperature which can just, like just, melt the steel of a fire extinguisher.

What is the gas and will it kill me to breathe in in, thanks, Ali :biggrin:
What does it smell like??
Original post by Avenged616
What is the gas and will it kill me to breathe in in, thanks, Ali :biggrin:

Molten lead will give off a vapour that will indeed kill you if you breathe it in for long enough. Ok, that might take a long while, but it is definitely not good for you. Lead used to be added to petrol to improve engine performance, but was banned because of its toxicity - you should not be breathing it in.

Wikipedia says: "Lead is a highly poisonous metal (regardless if inhaled or swallowed), affecting almost every organ and system in the body. The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children."

Regarding the yellow stuff, I'd guess it is lead oxide.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's more than likely to be lead oxide, I doubt it will do you much good but I'm not sure if it's toxic.:biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks guys, that all makes sense - PbO may be prepared by heating lead metal in air at approx. 600 °C. At this temperature it is also the end product of oxidation of other lead oxides in air.

Lead oxide may be fatal if swallowed or inhaled. It causes irritation to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It affects gum tissue, central nervous system, kidneys, blood, and reproductive system. It can bioaccumulate in plants and in mammals. Looks like I'll be wearing a ventilator mask from now on and putting a lid on the crucible. :eek:
Either lead (II) oxide, or an oxide of other trace transition metals present in what is probably an alloy.

Either way, breathing in the vapours is a BAD idea. Gloves, safety specs and a mask would def be a good idea.
Reply 6
Thanks for all your help :smile:

Quick Reply