Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eligibility for finance: EU student living outside the EU

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a french student living in Morocco. Am I still elligible for Student finance loans?

Thanks in advance!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    how long have you lived in morocco?

if it is over 3 years i am not to sure if you will be eligibly, however you could give them a ring on (+44) (0) 141 243 3570 to make sure you get the right answer to the question.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will you have French qualifications, and will you state your permanent residence as being in France or Morocco?

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but I've been living in Spain for 8 years and still count as a UK student because I was born there and have a british passport etc. Though I did have to ring the number in the post above to have that confirmed for me, so definitely give them a ring (9am -5:30pm UK time on weekdays only)!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    Will you have French qualifications, and will you state your permanent residence as being in France or Morocco?

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but I've been living in Spain for 8 years and still count as a UK student because I was born there and have a british passport etc. Though I did have to ring the number in the post above to have that confirmed for me, so definitely give them a ring (9am -5:30pm UK time on weekdays only)!
    you sure you count as a UK student, because im sure they have a rule where you have to of had a address in UK for the last 3 years to be a UK application.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumori)
    you sure you count as a UK student, because im sure they have a rule where you have to of had a address in UK for the last 3 years to be a UK application.
    Yep, I'm an exception. That's referring generally to people who have lived at the UK at some indefinite point, not exactly british citizens who were born there. I was just exercising my right to live abroad in an EU country apparently :cool: My student finance has already been sorted out and I get the standard UK treatment, including maintenance loan and grant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)

I live in Morocco since 10 years, and I will have the french baccalaureate (I study in a French school).
    That's why I think it will be difficult to obtain a loan, even if my parents have already worked in France.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    In that case you should definitely give them a ring. They'll be able to tell you if you qualify as an EU student and if you do, they can send you by post or by email the proper EU student application (as on the website you probably wouldn't be able to). Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll call them. Thank you very much!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When i applied for student finance I was a British student who lived outside the UK for 6 years. I got everything that a normal British citizen would get

You need to proof 3 things

1) your dad has only been working in morocco on a temporary basis. Ie in the future he will move back. a letter from the company saying this is enough

2) your dad owns a property in the UK

3) your uni classifies you as a home student.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newhope)

1) your dad has only been working in morocco on a temporary basis. Ie in the future he will move back. a letter from the company saying this is enough

Sorry for the late answer.

It will be difficult, because my dad doesn't own a property in the UK, and also because he doesn't works for a company (he's a doctor and owns his surgery).
    Too bad..
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newhope)
    When i applied for student finance I was a British student who lived outside the UK for 6 years. I got everything that a normal British citizen would get

Hm, I don't remember having to prove any of those things :confused: And none of that applies to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayan14)
    Sorry for the late answer.

It will be difficult, because my dad doesn't own a property in the UK, and also because he doesn't works for a company (he's a doctor and owns his surgery).
    Too bad..
    Ah made a mistake there! I meant to ask if he has a property in France? or does he pay any french taxes?

Have u been classified as a home student by any british uni?!

If you are then i think you would get the student loans.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He unfortunately no longer owns a property in France, however, I think he will start paying french taxes even if we live in Morocco (because, or thanks to M. Hollande). We are not sure yet.

I don't think that I'm qualified as home student for any uni because I don't satisfy the residence conditions...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well after you get offered a place at uni u will be asked to fill a form. This form will decide your fee status.

Lets see what happens!

I have always been classified as a home student even though i have lived half of my life outside UK!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, no need to be stressed now.. Thanks for your help.

And I haven't called yet student finance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.