The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

International student couple in need of housing advice

Hello all.
I've written here before asking for advice on provate accommodation, but now I'm really getting into the thick of it all and am only getting more confused as I progress with my searches.
I will be starting an MA at UoM in International Politics and my girlfriend will be joining me in Manchester.
I have started looking for flats/studios for us in various places around the city and would really appreciate an input from people who know these ares. Especially we are interested to know about personal safety and burglaries, social life, actual distance from the city campus and city center (my gf will be working there at some point) and overall wuality of life.
I would add that we are 29/27 of age and are bigger fans of city life than the suburbs, but won't live in the city for any cost.

The areas we are interested in are:
City Center
Castlefield
Northern Quarter
Levenshulme
Rusholme (down to Dickenson rd)
Victoria Park / Longsight (up to Stockport rd)
Moss Side
Withington
Didsbury

I would really appreciate your input, for I am a bit lost and am supposed to arrive in Manchester in 3 weeks for flat-hunting.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Moss Side is a no-no for safety purposes(thats what I get to know after lurking in this forum for long), especially when you are both international student. I suggest you look in http://themarketplace.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/ there are some great deals there. I think closer to school would be better as that would mean closer to city centre. Unless of course you want to mingle around with the young students you can choose somewhere near fallowfield.

All in all, search for place and look it up on google map to see the distance to school.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thanks. I've done that, actually have an Excel chart and a Google Maps pinned map with all the flats I've found. But that doesn't give me information about personal safety and general atmospherein these areas.
I will, however, stay away from Moss Side. Also, we a re somewhat older than the average student and are not exactly looking for a frat-party area like Fallowfield.
Our main dilemma is between the City Center/Castlefield and Victoria Park/Rusholme, or alternatively Withington/Didsbury.
Reply 3
From what I heard Victoria Park is very decent. Not too far from school and city centre and for younger students not far from fallowfield for social life. City Center's biggest advantage is that its close to school but I heard its more expensive, so maybe you have to balance out the budget as well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending