Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Under 21 League

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plans to scrap the reserve league and introduce the new "Under 21 League" seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Allowing clubs from the Premier League and a few others to field teams under 21, with 3 over age players similar to the Olympics.

Should be a good way of growing some talent at each club, with hopefully a lot more coming through the Premier League!

GROUP 1: Bolton Wanderers, Norwich City, Everton, West Ham United, Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Reading.

GROUP 2: Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Watford, Sunderland, Southampton, Aston Villa, Stoke City.

GROUP 3: Manchester City, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

What is the general opinion on replacing the reserves with this? I think it would be awesome in respects to pushing the value of under 21's up, more teams signing under 21s etc, but bad news would be teams that have a lot of older players using the league for injuries and lack of form etc to give them game time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would be fantastic, it means the 34 year old cloggers sat in some clubs reserves won't be able to walk around kicking the ankles of promising young talent on a wet Wednesday night out of sheer jealously. It could even attract some additional television revenue, I'd certainly take an interest in watching some of the upcoming talents from my club & I can only presume that others will feel the same about their own clubs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSmarties)
    Would be fantastic, it means the 34 year old cloggers sat in some clubs reserves won't be able to walk around kicking the ankles of promising young talent on a wet Wednesday night out of sheer jealously. It could even attract some additional television revenue, I'd certainly take an interest in watching some of the upcoming talents from my club & I can only presume that others will feel the same about their own clubs.
    Haha i agree!

It also makes me think players like Fryers, Morrison, Pogba, Nouble, the Swedish Man City kid (cant think of his name) to name just a few over the last few years! Who will be more happy to bide their time and showcase themselves there rather than looking for new clubs or going abroad.

Im a Chelsea fan and im worried about our young players not making it even with so much talent, purely because they cant make the first team!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as Owen Coyle can still play himself in the Bolton reserves now and again it is a very good idea
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be noted that teams are allowed 3 overage outfield players, and an overage GK.

Its certainly a step in the right direction, especially wrt the development of young players. Also great that its not split into regions any longer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rafa Benitez was a big advocate for this a few years ago.

Sense at last.
    • 12 followers

About time we brought this in
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    But what about overage guys who aren't quite good enough for the 1st team yet, but need match experience? Would they just go on loan?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    But what about overage guys who aren't quite good enough for the 1st team yet, but need match experience? Would they just go on loan?
    Well, that's where squad management comes into things. Also, three overage outfield players are allowed. That means that a team could easily have 21 players above the age of 21 and keep them fit/happy, with rotation of the first team and intelligent use of the u-21 league team. There's not many teams that have over 21 players that are aged over 21, tbh. Perhaps City do....
    • 12 followers

Unless you are Winston Bogarde and you are happy to sit on the bench for two years even though he was on about £40,000 a week
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Unless you are Winston Bogarde and you are happy to sit on the bench for two years even though he was on about £40,000 a week
    Wasn't he at Chelsea for about four years?
    • 12 followers

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Wasn't he at Chelsea for about four years?
    He was yes and he only played 11 games in that time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad they introduced the 3 overage players part. Mainly because its a good start for injured players to get match practice & experienced players playing with the younger guys will be very beneficial.

Newcastle are one to watch for youngsters. Got plenty of prospects in our development squad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean1e)
    Plans to scrap the reserve league and introduce the new "Under 21 League" seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Allowing clubs from the Premier League and a few others to field teams under 21, with 3 over age players similar to the Olympics.

Should be a good way of growing some talent at each club, with hopefully a lot more coming through the Premier League!

GROUP 1: Bolton Wanderers, Norwich City, Everton, West Ham United, Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Reading.

GROUP 2: Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Watford, Sunderland, Southampton, Aston Villa, Stoke City.

GROUP 3: Manchester City, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

What is the general opinion on replacing the reserves with this? I think it would be awesome in respects to pushing the value of under 21's up, more teams signing under 21s etc, but bad news would be teams that have a lot of older players using the league for injuries and lack of form etc to give them game time.
    Scotland brought this is in a few years back and already i've noticed 2/3 young players break through, unusual normally for st.mirrens standards

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.