Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL MRes Synthetic Biology 2012-2013 postgraduate course

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    Looking for anyone else on the MRes synthetic biology course at ucl starting this september!
    cheers
    --Yoma
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most probably me.. But I'm not 100% sure yet.
    Where r u from?
    R u joining this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah hello, I am from the UK so not a major move for me specifically down south.
    Why are you not sure about the course? Did you get funding for it? Where are you from?
    Cheers
    Yoma
    Edit:yes I have accepted a place on the course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm searching for a PhD as well. I have accepted the place but I'm a bit confused. I think synthetic biology should be better for me though. They gave me tuition fees funding, Did u get funding? Where did you study?
    I'm from Greece.
    Cheers stamati
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to Southampton university. I got the uk funding so i should be comfortable enough.
    The thing you have to remember is that its not worth doing a course you dont enjoy. This is especially true of a PhD.
    Funding yourself in london is going to be expensive so if you are not sure of what you want to do then take a year out in industry, it's what i have done.
    You are likely to become undesirable if (for example) you take an MRes in Synthetic biology and then apply for a PhD in immunology or something unrelated as it makes you look indecisive.
    What PhD are you looking for?
    cheers
    Yoma
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The subject is not my problem. My ideal would be biofuel synthetic biology. I have already done some work on biohydrogen synthetic biology. The only reason I would select a PhD at the moment is financial. But most probably I will go for UCL. I believe that it is a career opener.. so..
    What did you study? do you have fb?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    check your private messages
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely shameless self bump in the hope i can find anyone else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,
    I applied literally last minute and got an offer and tuition fees covered, so stoked.
    I'm a little bit daunted tbh, having done biology my biochem and maths isn't as good as some, but it should be excellent training and hopefully lead to exciting applications. Look forward to meeting you all! I live in London btw
    Toby
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Toby
    check your private messages in 2 minutes!
    Tom
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    shameless second self bump
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for the synthetic biology course. The course sounds interesting and I particularity like how much you get to spend in the lab however I'm worried about synthetic biology being just hype.

Can everyone please let me know their experience with the course and synthetic biology and if it's more than the iGEM i.e. is there more to synthetic biology than the iGEM competition.

Krunal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 81968)
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for the synthetic biology course. The course sounds interesting and I particularity like how much you get to spend in the lab however I'm worried about synthetic biology being just hype.

Can everyone please let me know their experience with the course and synthetic biology and if it's more than the iGEM i.e. is there more to synthetic biology than the iGEM competition.

Krunal.

Hi krunal

The MRes is nothing like igem. Its a masters level reseach project.
    My advice for you is to go and speak to john ward who runs the course.
    I just finished and found it excellent.
    If you are ucl based I am breifly about this monday (28th)
    Cheers

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.