Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Staff disagreement: Is Usain Bolt past his best??

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: What do you think?
    I think he's past his best
    35.82%
    The best is still to come
    64.18%

• 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right...

I want to see what TSR thinks of this because we've got a disagreement in the TSR office.

I think Usain Bolt is past his best. He's admitted he's only "95% fit" coming to London and with Blake, Gay et al all breathing down his neck I can't see him emulating Beijing or coming close to new world records.

Don't get me wrong, a 95% fit Usain Bolt is still a force, but his but the smile and swagger has started to disappear, injuries are becoming a problem, pressure is on and his form is questionable.

I think we've already seen the brilliant best of Usain Bolt in Beijing. shooks (our editor) disagrees with me...

Settle it TSR!
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usain Bolt past it? Don't be daft. This is a man who didn't just defeat the opposition in Beijing, he made them look like rank amateurs. Have we forgotten the way he simply broke into a light jog with a quarter of the 100m Olympic final left to run, such was his dominance over the world-class athletes around him?

Granted, the four years since have seen some injuries, some false starts, but Bolt is still a sprinter who can routinely pull sub-9.8 second runs out of the bag at will - as he has done twice in the past couple of months. Yohan Blake is a serious contender for the 100m crown, but 25-year-old Bolt has the experience and the cool head required to reign once again on the track this weekend. Don't be surprised to see him do just that.
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usain or insane, CJ? :awesome:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope and i think Blake will get it. Bolt was very good 4 years ago, but he has lost it slightly now.
    We will just have to wait and see...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Bolt still has the snap twich-knee start that he worked so hard to perfect for Beijing. Being a tall-ish sprinter myself, I don't foresee Bolt getting Gold in the 100m, unless he has been hiding some serious start form. Blake's cadence also looks so brilliant. So we're guaranteed to see some great sprinting from the winner. It's worth noting the competition this time around is much more formidable than it was in Beijing... and with the "new" false start rule... who knows what can happen.

(If Bolt can recover his start then he can break the world record for 100 and 200 again, I'm just doubtful as to whether he has it for these Olympics).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Usain Bolt past it? Don't be daft. This is a man who didn't just defeat the opposition in Beijing, he made them look like rank amateurs. Have we forgotten the way he simply broke into a light jog with a quarter of the 100m Olympic final left to run, such was his dominance over the world-class athletes around him?
    Yes that was his best. Is he past it?

Is he going to run faster times than he did in Beijing?

IMO I wouldn't be surprised if the peak of his career in terms of dominance and the times he is running, was in the past. But I think he will still be top dog for a while. It's like Roger Federer has been past his best for a while now but is still world number one.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that Usain Bolt is one of the most arrogant people in sport today.

And yes, I think he is past his best.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Way past his best. I doubt his 2009 times will ever be beaten.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I still think he has a few more years ahead of him.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether he's past it speed-wise, but I doubt he'll run 9.58 ever again. He has a better chance to break the 200m imo, but I think his records will stay for a long long time.

I think he has the potential to run 9.4 even now, but if he was going to do it, it would have been in 2009.

But who knows? With the added pressure of Blake and expectation, maybe he'll lift his game to run a sub 9.5. Or, as I'm expecting, he'll get gold/silver with an 'average' 9.7 performance.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think he can still go sub 9.5, but just not in these games.
    He said himself he's not completely in form and he needs to be so in order to get that <9.5.

However, he's still going to woop the rest of them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that he's past it. He's still warming up.
    But this time, there are people who are right there with him, even more than before. They've all realized that they need to step up their game and have done so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Right...

I want to see what TSR thinks of this because we've got a disagreement in the TSR office.

I think Usain Bolt is past his best. He's admitted he's only "95% fit" coming to London and with Blake, Gay et al all breathing down his neck I can't see him emulating Beijing or coming close to new world records.

Don't get me wrong, a 95% fit Usain Bolt is still a force, but his but the smile and swagger has started to disappear, injuries are becoming a problem, pressure is on and his form is questionable.

I think we've already seen the brilliant best of Usain Bolt in Beijing. shooks (our editor) disagrees with me...

Settle it TSR!
    I guess deep down I feel like that too but I still have hope he will surprise us all, in a good way
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched his documentary on the BBC a few weeks ago showing his training and determination and I think he'll do fine. I even have a feeling he'll beat his previous record.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying he's past his best. The thing is though, many people that think he's got plenty left know nothing whatsoever about sprinting. They see he smashed the WR and get caught up in the excitement with no regard for his season, fitness or trends in his performance. I personally think he's physically capable of more but whether or not he'll prove it is different - maybe he'll perform under pressure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He looks past it. But some people seem to up it a gear just for the big events, maybe he will do that? Also, is him past it enough to maintain a gold? I think he should get a medal, but with Blake and Gay on top form it may not be gold
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think he's now past his best, I'd like him to prove me wrong though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about his training, so anything could happen. I'm sure he can get up, or close, to 100%. I'd love to see him get another record, and I believe it possible, but with what everybody has been saying I'm rather skeptical.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yohan Blake is going to show him how it's done! I like Bolt and he's an amazing talent, but there's way too much show boating!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he hit his peak when he clocked 9.58. He will never beat that time again. Never....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.