Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horrible cough virus anyone?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So i have this horrid cough at the moment, kind of a hacking cough where im not bringing anything up anymore.

It started a month ago when i had a reaction to antibiotics for a perforated eardrum, i was sick and guessing my immune system was low following that so i picked up a cold, sore throat and subsequent cough after. Which got a little better than seemed to get worse again, so i went to the doctors who told me it was my asthma and hayfever, which i have only ever had mild asthma and my peak flow was still as good as ever.

Cough got worse on monday night and i ended up in A&E having an x ray to check my chest, which came back fine in the end. I was prescribed antibiotics and steroids as well.

Went to the doctors this morning as i have been off work for a while now and needed a doctors note, explained the situation to my doctor and she again said its an exasperation of my asthma probably caused by a virus.

So now im at a loss as to what it really is as to be fair i know myself and my asthma is completely fine, i upped my inhaler dosage anyway and it made NO difference whatsoever....

So anyone else got this at the moment, any different diagnoses from your doctors?

Carly
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    It most likely is a viral infection, but you've got antibiotics just in case it is a bacterial one. Viral coughs can go on for ages, which is annoying but unfortunately we haven't got any decent cures for it yet.

One thing worth mentioning to your GP, though don't get too scared at the moment - there is an increased incidence of whooping cough in some areas this year, so if you're not getting better, it's worth asking about that.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could be this wooping cough epidemic in England. I had it before it took off and it is horrible! - could hardly breathe for up to a minute. Probably just going to have to wade it out though. unlucky!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~carly~)
    Hi,

So i have this horrid cough at the moment, kind of a hacking cough where im not bringing anything up anymore.

It started a month ago when i had a reaction to antibiotics for a perforated eardrum, i was sick and guessing my immune system was low following that so i picked up a cold, sore throat and subsequent cough after. Which got a little better than seemed to get worse again, so i went to the doctors who told me it was my asthma and hayfever, which i have only ever had mild asthma and my peak flow was still as good as ever.

Cough got worse on monday night and i ended up in A&E having an x ray to check my chest, which came back fine in the end. I was prescribed antibiotics and steroids as well.

Went to the doctors this morning as i have been off work for a while now and needed a doctors note, explained the situation to my doctor and she again said its an exasperation of my asthma probably caused by a virus.

So now im at a loss as to what it really is as to be fair i know myself and my asthma is completely fine, i upped my inhaler dosage anyway and it made NO difference whatsoever....

So anyone else got this at the moment, any different diagnoses from your doctors?

Carly

Yes yes yes! We ALL had it at uni, got told it was asthma, had xrays for tb etc. We had to put up with it for months and it was horrible, couldnt get more than a couple of hours sleep at a time.
    Only thing that fixed it was codeine linctus. Ask your doctor to prescribe it for you, or you can buy it online. I tried inhalors, antibiotics, and literally every cough medicine there is. Only the codeine worked
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's whooping cough as I dont have the whoop bit after coughing!

It's awful isn't it! I've been given a week off work as I can't do my job whilst greeting customers and coughing all the time!

Just hope it goes away soon!

I had codeine before for something else I think and it made me sick, any other suggestions.

(Original post by patrickinator)
    Could be this wooping cough epidemic in England. I had it before it took off and it is horrible! - could hardly breathe for up to a minute. Probably just going to have to wade it out though. unlucky!
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It most likely is a viral infection, but you've got antibiotics just in case it is a bacterial one. Viral coughs can go on for ages, which is annoying but unfortunately we haven't got any decent cures for it yet.

One thing worth mentioning to your GP, though don't get too scared at the moment - there is an increased incidence of whooping cough in some areas this year, so if you're not getting better, it's worth asking about that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's whooping cough as I dont have the whoop bit after coughing!

It's awful isn't it! I've been given a week off work as I can't do my job whilst greeting customers and coughing all the time!

Just hope it goes away soon!

I had codeine before for something else I think and it made me sick, any other suggestions.
    You could try pholcodeine, which actually doesnt have any codeine in it.. and something that helped a bit were the black halls cough sweets, the extra strong ones
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilahnurave)
    You could try pholcodeine, which actually doesnt have any codeine in it.. and something that helped a bit were the black halls cough sweets, the extra strong ones
    Thanks, i have now got the black halls sweets i wouldnt wish this virus on anyone!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilahnurave)
    Yes yes yes! We ALL had it at uni, got told it was asthma, had xrays for tb etc. We had to put up with it for months and it was horrible, couldnt get more than a couple of hours sleep at a time.
    Only thing that fixed it was codeine linctus. Ask your doctor to prescribe it for you, or you can buy it online. I tried inhalors, antibiotics, and literally every cough medicine there is. Only the codeine worked

I have been using the linctus and it has really helped my cough, since taking it i rarely cough in the night!! Its a miracle!

Seriously if you have or get this cough you need codeine linctus!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Carly, linctus is very effective. I was also suffering from bad cough, a friend suggested linctus...extremely effective.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Carly
    How come i got negged for this? :?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.