The Student Room Group

ALL CYCLISTS SHOULD READ: eyewitness account of cyclist killed by olympic bus

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A reminder of the importance of taking the lane and not cycling in the gutter.
Reply 2
Such a sad story and a reason I worry about driving past them.
Maybe build cycle paths like Germany? There's one improvement we'd have under German occupation.
:rip:
So sad. The poor guy that witnessed that too, I hope he gets some therapy.
Reply 6
We should definitely have much wider cycle lanes - cycling in london is terrifying
Quite a few cyclists are killed by riding alongside a vehicle in it's blind spot as it makes a left turn. This is extremely dangerous and cyclists need to be taught not to do it.
Additionally, sensors and cameras need to be installed on the vehicles so drivers are aware when it happens.

I thought that in London traffic lights had an area at the front so cyclists can set of first, not needing to be amongst vehicles. I think this is a good idea and should be more widespread in areas where there are lots of cyclists. But, it would require longer green light periods so cars do not get too held up.

In general, as a cyclist myself, traffic awareness is extremely important, especially on busy roads where drivers may not be paying proper attention. Also, it is important that all cyclists, but especially those on roads wear a helmet.

Personally, I am glad my town is relatively cycle friendly, and I only really cycle for leisure rather than commuting. There are lots of dangers as a result of negligent cyclists, drivers, and road layouts.
Original post by :)ella
Whoever's fault this was, it's such a sad story and all cyclists should read this.
http://redd.it/xiud7 "As I was cycling home from work tonight a guy, maybe in his late 20's, was cycling level with me and as we approached a bus he went inside while I held back. The lights changed as he was in the buses blind spot and as he was attempting to go straight the bus turned left. He didn't really have anywhere to go and no time to do anything anyway... he got pulled under the wheel and dragged around 10 feet or so. As soon as the bus was definitely stopped i crawled under to him from the other side and i was immediately aware that i didn't think he'd make it. The tire had gone over him on his lower half i think and he was tangled in the machinery underneath the bus. I crawled up to him and tried to talk to him. I asked him his name and told him he was going to be alright. He didn't say anything because i don't think he could, but he looked straight at me. I did my best to look him straight in the eyes and tell him he was going to be ok. He was so afraid. Maybe half a minute later i could tell he'd passed. I waited there for a moment and then crawled back out. I spoke to the authorities that had arrived and after a little while i got my bike and cycled home. It is so dangerous out there guys. But for a single choice that poor guy would have made it home tonight. Don't skip at lights when they look clear, don't try to squeeze past heavy vehicles to save a few seconds. Never be afraid to live your life to the fullest, but be careful and be aware of the dangers around you. Be safe everyone."

To be honest I never understood why people think bicycles are somehow acceptable road users alongside the motorized heavy vehicles that dominate them.

Bicycles should be on paths and pavements, not roads.

But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Negged by people who obviously like the idea of getting sucked under a lorry and mulched into the under-carriage.

I stated an opinion, you have your own, but you can't argue that sharing the same space as much larger heavier mechanized vehicles is always going to result in the cyclist losing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
To be honest I never understood why people think bicycles are somehow acceptable road users alongside the motorized heavy vehicles that dominate them.

I have to agree with you to a certain extent - cyclists are extremely vulnerable amongst the big vehicles.

It's very hard to place a space for cyclists. Often pavements are just too narrow and slow for the cyclists to go in. In Finland some of the pavements are divided, leaving the other side for pedestrians and the other for bicycles and it's working ok. But, in order for it to work, the pavement needs to be wide enough.

A rather tricky issue it is. :/
Reply 10
This is why cyclists need to take primary road position.
Original post by Snagprophet
There's one improvement we'd have under German occupation.

Strewth.
Sad story :frown:

I once walking back from college when I saw a lorry pull in to the left lane at a set of lights. It had its left indicators on so I knew it was gonna turn left. Then a cyclist came and stopped behind it. After a few seconds he changed his mind and decided to pull in, in the inside of the lorry, but because the space was tight he had to slowly shuffle forward. And as the lights changed the cyclist was now in the inside of the lorry and overtaking as the lorry pulled away. I was just waiting for the inevitable to happen. Suddenly the lorry started to turn left but as the cyclist was about to crash and get crushed in the inside of the lorry he managed to come to a sharp halt as did the lorry, however not before sounding his horn.

So cyclists please be aware that the roads are very dangerous, since you are so vulnerable take very great care and if you aren't sure WAIT! Better to be safe than to be sorry. And even if you are late the risks aren't worth it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kibalchich
This is why cyclists need to take primary road position.

To be honest, this isn't really practical. It seems most examples of these types of crash occur on busy roads, and this would cause a traffic problem. I sympathise with road users who can be frustrated by cyclists slowing them down. While many cyclists like to reject the road tax argument, I agree with it; despite the fact road tax does not exist. This is the main reason I try to get out of the way of vehicles as soon as I can.
I should add, most of my cycling is on country roads where overtaking a cyclist can be difficult, particularly for lorries and the like.

Equally however, in the case of country roads particularly, the 'gutter' can be full of potholes which are completely unsafe to ride over on bikes with road wheels like mine. As a result, I am often forced to ride nearer the middle of the road. On narrow roads, this can be quite scary when there is oncoming traffic as well.

Of course, none of this applies to this example. Where junctions are concerned, it is important to either be wholly infront of or behind a vehicle and to act as a car would to ensure safety.

Another type of risk is busier A-roads that are only single carriageway. Often these are not wide enough for a large vehicle to overtake when there is oncoming traffic, meaning they pass very close to cyclists. This still scares me despite being fairly used to it. Ideally, the roads would be wider. But at very least, as above, properly maintaining the 'gutter' at least makes it easiar to ride on the edge of the road leaving more room for everyone.
Reply 14
Oh it is practical. I do it all the time. Its also the official safety advice from the CTC and endorsed by the DoT.
Original post by Snagprophet
Maybe build cycle paths like Germany? There's one improvement we'd have under German occupation.

Are you serious :eek:! As you think that would be a priority on the list of things to do if German occupation succeed :rolleyes:
Original post by Kibalchich
A reminder of the importance of taking the lane and not cycling in the gutter.

What?

The importance of not being a ****ing idiot and ignoring a big vehicle would have proved more fruitful.

Cyclists who ignore such things deserve darwin awards. :lol:
Original post by AlexInWonderland
I thought that in London traffic lights had an area at the front so cyclists can set of first, not needing to be amongst vehicles. I think this is a good idea and should be more widespread in areas where there are lots of cyclists. But, it would require longer green light periods so cars do not get too held up.

They have those where I live, but the cars, buses, lorries etc. all just move into them when they stop at a red light which means that the bikes can't use the bike lane, and I've seen several near-misses with cars turning right and almost hitting a bike (that was also turning right), which had been forced to stop to the right of the vehicle, as there was nowhere else to stop. But here, cars think they rule the road - I've seen cyclists being yelled at for almost being hit, when it's clearly the driver's fault. Admittedly, there are cyclists who do need to learn the basic safety rules of cycling on the road, but drivers also need to learn how to drive alongside bikes.

Cyclists shouldn't be on the pavements, for the simple reason of it being illegal- check the highway code.

[h="4"]64[/h]You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]
Original post by :)ella
We should definitely have much wider cycle lanes - cycling in london is terrifying

At the expense of what? Pedestrian path or existing road?

It's easy to just make comments, but what about the logistics of such a move?

Completely agree with you. I've always thought I was alone in holding that view.

Original post by HeatherHatter
Cyclists shouldn't be on the pavements, for the simple reason of it being illegal- check the highway code.

Then the law is wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending