Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pink Floyd To Play Olympics Closing Ceremony With.....

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ed Sheeran. :confused:

Ed Sheeran has confirmed he will duet with Pink Floyd at the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The '+' singer had been rumoured to be joining The Who at the August 12 ceremony, but has now told Australian radio station Nova that he will in fact be playing with Pink Floyd.

Asked if he was playing, the singer said: "I'm playing the closing ceremony - which I think is kinda cool right? A lot of people think that I'm doing a song with The Who but I'm not - I'm doing a song with Pink Floyd. I'm doing 'Wish You Were Here'."

Sheeran then confirmed that the performance would not feature all the surviving members of Pink Floyd, but said that drummer Nick Mason would definitely be involved. This means that either Roger Waters or Dave Gilmour will not be present for the performance.

The surviving members of Pink Floyd last performed together in 2011 when Gilmour and Mason joined Waters onstage to play 'Outside The Wall' during his headline show at London's O2 Arena.

The line-up for the closing ceremony, which will celebrate 50 years of British music, is being kept a closely guarded secret, with only The Who, Kaiser Chiefs, Take That, George Michael and Emeli Sande reportedly confirmed so far.
    -NME
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know who Ed Sheeran is... but I wish they would resurrect Rick Wright for one night only.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Don't really know who Ed Sheeran is... but I wish they would resurrect Rick Wright for one night only.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will probably be David Gilmour who won't show up. Only because it's been said that Roger Water's is keen on a reunion tour whilst Gilmour isn't. Either way, this will be in my opinion a horrific butchering of a classic Pink Floyd song unless Gilmour does show up and does the vocals. I know the singer is probably inspired by it, but it just isn't Pink Floyd without the entire band (including the late Richard Wright, RIP).

I wonder if Iron Maiden will be there, they should be and Heavy Metal should be covered since Heavy Metal is a genre that Britain pulls off incredibly well (Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fool In The Rain)
    I wonder if Iron Maiden will be there, they should be and Heavy Metal should be covered since Heavy Metal is a genre that Britain pulls off incredibly well (Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc).
    I doubt it, it is a shame but when it comes to music in major events such as this it is rare that metal bands are acknowledged, despite numerous bands from Britain being some of our finest musical exports.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    it's alright, not really my taste though. If he's rigid to the pieces of music that PF have composed then I don't see why it wouldn't be an awesome show!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    I doubt it, it is a shame but when it comes to music in major events such as this it is rare that metal bands are acknowledged, despite numerous bands from Britain being some of our finest musical exports.
    I guess it's just to keep the kids happy (especially since One Direction is apparently performing there :mad:)
    It'll be even more unlikely for progressive rock to get a mention (except for Pink Floyd). Again, a huge shame, but I doubt the majority of people could cope with songs that go on for more than 5 minutes, let alone song's like Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, 44 minutes of glory (I don't think they performed the entire song live).
    The closing ceremony would be brilliant if they could get the Peter Gabriel line-up for Genesis (though this will never happen and I wanted to hear Supper's Ready :rolleyes:).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's just to keep the kids happy (especially since One Direction is apparently performing there :mad:)
    It'll be even more unlikely for progressive rock to get a mention (except for Pink Floyd). Again, a huge shame, but I doubt the majority of people could cope with songs that go on for more than 5 minutes, let alone song's like Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, 44 minutes of glory (I don't think they performed the entire song live).
    The closing ceremony would be brilliant if they could get the Peter Gabriel line-up for Genesis (though this will never happen and I wanted to hear Supper's Ready :rolleyes:).
    They should just let Black Sabbath perform their self titled in full, Iron Maiden can do Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and Pink Floyd can do The Wall. That would be worth watching. :woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    They should just let Black Sabbath perform their self titled in full, Iron Maiden can do Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and Pink Floyd can do The Wall. That would be worth watching. :woo:
    By self titled, do you mean 'Black Sabbath', the debut album? That would be awesome, the way the title song was written is actually quite disturbing (true meaning of heavy metal?). I know I'm in the minority, but Black Sabbath's debut is on par with 'Paranoid', but in different ways, BS is more blues orientated, whilst Paranoid was a mix of metal and psychedelia (Planet Caravan).

I haven't listened to Seventh Son yet, I need to get that soon, but I've just ordered the last albums I need to complete the Doors discography in the studio (Waiting for the Sun, The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel). So they need a good listen first .

I really enjoy The Wall, but I would prefer if they played some other songs like 'Echoes' or some of the earlier stuff like 'Astronomy Domine', 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun'. Better yet, they play all of DSOTM .

If only this could all happen, but alas, it won't. Now where did I put that time machine?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Awful song. Slut needs to sort her life out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    By self titled, do you mean 'Black Sabbath', the debut album? That would be awesome, the way the title song was written is actually quite disturbing (true meaning of heavy metal?). I know I'm in the minority, but Black Sabbath's debut is on par with 'Paranoid', but in different ways, BS is more blues orientated, whilst Paranoid was a mix of metal and psychedelia (Planet Caravan).

I haven't listened to Seventh Son yet, I need to get that soon, but I've just ordered the last albums I need to complete the Doors discography in the studio (Waiting for the Sun, The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel). So they need a good listen first .

I really enjoy The Wall, but I would prefer if they played some other songs like 'Echoes' or some of the earlier stuff like 'Astronomy Domine', 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun'. Better yet, they play all of DSOTM .

If only this could all happen, but alas, it won't. Now where did I put that time machine?
    Yeah 'Black Sabbath' as in their first album. Its probably my favourite along with Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and from the Dio era, Heaven & Hell. The title song from their debut is probably my favourite Sabbath track, its just haunting.

Although their are numerous Iron Maiden albums that could easily be claimed to be their best, Seventh Son has always been my favourite. Songs like Infinite Dreams and The Evil That Men Do I never get tired of hearing.

I said The Wall because if this show was to ever happen, that album would just be a spectacle that would fit in with the Olympics ceremonies. Not that this will ever happen, we will most likely just get a few pop groups.

Maiden are on tour doing 'Maiden England', which has quite a lot of the material from Seventh Son being played, I just hope they bring it here next year. :moon:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame really to see someone so average go alongside perhaps the greatest band of its generation. Was it Floyd who chose it or? I find a lot of the older bands really have a terrible knowledge of modern music from what i have seen though. Some terrible stuff for example that Brian May advocates :facepalm2:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    It's a shame really to see someone so average go alongside perhaps the greatest band of its generation. Was it Floyd who chose it or? I find a lot of the older bands really have a terrible knowledge of modern music from what i have seen though. Some terrible stuff for example that Brian May advocates :facepalm2:
    I agree, if this is true it is just odd that they feel the need to partner bands like Pink Floyd up with anyone. I have no idea who worked at putting this together, but I doubt it was Pink Floyd, more so just someone wanting to pair older and newer artists together.

The artists that Brian May has chosen to work with in the past does confuse me.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    sabotage, powerslave and wish you were here, surely?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    sabotage, powerslave and wish you were here, surely?
    They all have numerous albums I wouldn't complain about seeing them playing in full. :woo:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    They all have numerous albums I wouldn't complain about seeing them playing in full. :woo:
    definitely. Just seventh son is completely ruined by how awful some of the lyrics are:

"Living on a razors edge
    Balancing on a ledge
    Living on a razors edge
    Balancing on a ledge
    Balancing on a ledge
    Living on a razors edge
    Balancing on a ledge
    You know, you know

The evil that men do lives on and on
    The evil that men do lives on and on"

"Only the good die young
    All the evil seem to live forever
    Only the good die young
    All the evil seem to live forever
    Only the good die young
    Only the good die young"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pink Floyd...with Ed Sheeran.

I thought this wasn't happening (please oh please tell me it isn't happening) :afraid:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    definitely. Just seventh son is completely ruined by how awful some of the lyrics are:
    The lyrics for Evil That Men Do are some of the weakest on the album, but I think Dickinsons vocal performance combined with the guitar work makes it great.

Although it has some weak moments, the album has some of my favourite Maiden lyrics.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Mystery madman, a victim of cruel charade
    Some innocent pawn in an end game, one more stalemate
    Is death another birthday?
    A way to kiss your dreams goodbye?
    Do the undead live within us?
    And look through our eyes?

~Only The Good Die Young

Even though it's reached new heights
    I'd rather like the restless nights
    It makes me wonder it makes me think
    There's more to this I'm on the brink
    It's not the fear of what's beyond
    It's just that I might not respond
    I have an interest almost craving
    But would I like to get too far in?

~Infinite Dreams

I count the heads of those unborn
    The accursed ones I'll find them all
    If you die by your own hand
    As a suicide you shall be damned
    And if you try to save your soul
    I will torment you - you shall not grow old
    With every second and passing breath
    You'll be so alone your soul will bleed to death

~Moonchild

It is rare however that I hear anyone else say Seventh Son is their favourite Maiden album. Its just that Moonchild intro :sogood:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Claiming to be Pink Floyd without Gilmour and/or Waters would just be wrong. If that ginger bloke is going to be playing I would imagine that he'll be taking over vocal duties, suggesting Waters will not be there.

They better not just play WYWH, as much as I enjoy that song, it is not my favourite. I want Dark Side in its entirety, plus Comfortably Numb, Echoes, about half of Piper, Shine on You Crazy Diamond. This is after Paul McCartney plays one note to stroke his ego and get his section out of the way.

By the way, did anyone notice the flying pig over battersea power station in the starting animation of the opening ceremony? I've not seen anyone writing about it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ed Sheeran is a douche.

'omg he's so original, he's like totes indie and he's ginger so he's cool and really speaks to me with his deep lyrics, yay'.

Can he play more than 2 chords yet?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.