The Student Room Group

*** I need your honest response. ONLY FROM GIRLS PLEASE. ***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think we should be fair to ClearC here. Obviously English is his second language and he is not able to communicate what he really means so it sounds like he is odd and people are saying he has a bad attitude.

I understand his message being like this:

He is a hard working economics graduate who has focused on his studies and not done much partying. He is serious-minded and "formal" in his conversation topics rather than "fun". He dresses well and goes to the gym and his friends think he must have girls (this is an important point, it suggests he is reasonably good looking and so is credible as a potential boyfriend), but he doesn't. He is now worried that because he is 23 and still a virgin this will be a problem getting girls in the UK.

Here is my answer (as a British male).

With MOST British girls, you will not be successful. British girls generally prefer guys that are fun rather than serious, and as attitudes to sex are fairly liberal in the UK, they will expect guys to have had sex before that age. It is different in the USA where religion plays a bigger part in peoples lives and a lot of people don't have sex until much later. Girls will assume you are boring. They may still have respect for you as a person particular if you are intelligent and hard working, but they will not see you as a "potential partner".

However if you come to study in the UK on a Masters there will be lots of European girls from different countries. Generally these girls are much more serious and focused on their studies and less on partying than British girls. You will have things in common because you are both from outside the UK and have come here to study so that will help you bond together. Also the more serious minded European girls may be less judgemental about your virginity than British girls would, especially if they are from countries where a lot of people are Catholic and religion plays a bigger part in their culture than in the UK.

Finally, back to the point about language - it is very difficult to attract girls of a native country, if you do not speak their language perfectly. Small mistakes will make you seem like a joke to them. That is why the reaction on here is negative, the girls are making fun of you because your written English is not very good.

Ok, as a girl, I think this is bs. Not all girls are that liberal sexually. In my social group, most girls would only have sex after being in a long term relationship, wouldnt care if their boyfriend was a virgin or not( with some waiting for marriage/"true love" so being virgins themselves) and wouldn't see the accent or different way of speaking as a problem, I may even work to your advantage as it might seem quite cute.:biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Original post by dgeorge
as a non-national who studied in the uk (even though english is my first language) i think i can give quite a bit of insight. Here are my suggestions

i think some women will find it a bit strange that a guy has not had sex at that age. However, once there is a reasonable enough explanation, then this will not matter. What matters the most is your attitude, as opposed to your sexual experience. As long as you personally don't make a big deal of it, or as long as your inexperience is not completely obvious, it is unlikely to be a big deal to a woman.

As i said, most will not be massively put off, although a few may be, but they will probably be in the minority. Again, it is all in how you present yourself

this is, in fact, a very strange request. I'm a bit curious as to know why you specifically want a uk born girlfriend, but will refrain from passing judgement until then. Personally, i would say that it greatly depends on your personality, as some uk girls would and some wouldn't. I think as you managed to pass yourself in a bit of a bad light in your post, most girls would give a reply to you as a no, but that's because of your personality/attitude.

Also, your english skills are decent/acceptable, contrary to what most people have told you. But it could use some improvement, and having a better control with the english language will definitely be of assistance

the age difference will not necessarily matter, it much more depends on the personality of the individual, but more women would not mind at all (in fact may prefer) dating someone 3-4 years older than them

i hope this has helped. Again, let me point out that you come across as a bit egotistical (if you don't understand, please look it up) in your post. This may be because in your attempt to be funny/humourous, because english is not your first language you have accidentally put forward an impression that is not reflective of your true self. There is also the possibility that this is a true reflection, and i'd encourage you to treat people's opinions with a bit more regard next time.

Cheers

many thanks!!!
Reply 42
Thanks for everybody! If somebody wants to write something on this topic - I am waiting :biggrin:
Reply 43
Guys - where are you?
Reply 44
Alot of girls wont be bothered and alot will, I guess you have just got to find the right person to put it simply.
Original post by Emmzaa
Ik weet niet hoe dit te beantwoorden. Zeker gezien het feit dat je duidelijk nog niet eerder een greep op de Engels taal kreeg en je lijkt incrediably grote hoofd. Niet om je bubble barsten, maar je moet een leuke persoonlijkheid hebben. Misschien is je 'goede eigenschappen' zijn niet zo goed als je gelooft.
Ik amper een woord verstond je zei.

That's my answer. Yes it's in a different language. Simply because I barely had a clue what you were trying to say..It's only fair.

I do not know how to answer. Especially considering the fact that you clearly had not taken hold on the English language and you have got what seems an incrediably large head. Not to burst your bubble, but you have a nice personality. Maybe your 'good qualities' are not as good as you believe. I barely understood a word you said.

The wonders of google translate! :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by Peggles_*
I do not know how to answer. Especially considering the fact that you clearly had not taken hold on the English language and you have got what seems an incrediably large head. Not to burst your bubble, but you have a nice personality. Maybe your 'good qualities' are not as good as you believe. I barely understood a word you said.

The wonders of google translate! :tongue:

I clearly didn't use google tanslate to write that in the first place. :colone: We are intelligent ones! :wink:
Reply 47
Again, thanks for messages. The topic is closed. Enjoy!

:smile::biggrin::smile:
and maybe :colondollar: for asking things not everybody will do
I don't know why (because the English is pretty much perfect) but for some reason I could not understand what you were trying to say, just sounded like rubbish to me.
Reply 49
Is it bad that I lolled? :rofl:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending