The Student Room Group

Why is the British National Anthem about the Queen and not the country?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by YMLT
That said, ours is exceptionally terrible :rolleyes:

Reply 21
Original post by muffingg
i don't wanna be rude or anything but i've been thinking for quite some years about this. It's called the national anthem so shouldn't it be rather about the nation than the queen?

the queen is the country
Reply 22
Original post by Drewski
Just is. One of those things. Don't think anybody really likes it. I'm not a fan, but purely on the basis that it's just a bit of a rubbish tune.

Reply 23
Original post by muffingg
The Italian is surely my favourite one (except my own country's)

Yeah, Italy have the best anthem.
Original post by dem503
the queen is the country

No, she's an elderly lady of German ancestry.
Reply 25
Original post by `R92
I agree. It sucks. God isn't real and the queen doesn't deserve saving more than anyone else.

Neither's the Queen :ninja:
Reply 26
Original post by Chucklefiend
Indeed, it's about time the national anthem was changed in my opinion. The current anthem utterly fails to represent the nation or the citizens of Great Britain. Evoking a monotheistic God (which only 34% of the population believes in) to save a monarch (whom 30 % of the population believe should be replaced with an elected figurehead) is ridiculous.

Modern Britain is a diverse nation with a plethora of ethnic and religious groups. It is also secular to a large degree and has one of the largest proportions of atheists in the world; the national anthem should reflect these facts.

Doesn't matter.

You don't have to believe in God or like the Queen to sing it.

God Save The Queen is the first ever national anthem.

The reason everyone else has a national anthem is because they copied us.

We should respect the history that God Save The Queen has.
Reply 27
Original post by TRS-T

Thanks, but I already knew how rubbish it was before that :colone:
Reply 28
I much prefer Rule Britannia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY
Reply 29
On the subject of interesting anthems the French promise to 'irrigate our fields with impure blood'. Hospitable people.
I will likely get negged to hell for this, but in response to someone saying most anthems are really depressing, I find the Welsh National Anthem uplifting... :colondollar: I reckon God Save the Queen is a bit of a weird anthem for Britain.
Original post by TRS-T
Doesn't matter.

You don't have to believe in God or like the Queen to sing it.

God Save The Queen is the first ever national anthem.

The reason everyone else has a national anthem is because they copied us.

We should respect the history that God Save The Queen has.

It might not matter to you, but to many, it most certainly does. I for one, when singing my national anthem, want it to represent my country and what it stands for, which today includes democracy, diversity and tolerance. GSTQ stands for none of those things, but conversely, the archaic ideologies of divine right to rule and inherited privilege.

I want to feel a tingle of pride when I hear our national anthem reverberating around the Olympic Stadium, but alas, in lieu of pride I cringe and shudder with embarrassment.

And FYI just because something is old it doesn't automatically qualify reverence.
Reply 32
It might not matter to you, but to many, it most certainly does. I for one, when singing my national anthem, want it to represent my country and what it stands for, which today includes democracy, diversity and tolerance. GSTQ stands for none of those things, but conversely, the archaic ideologies of divine right to rule and inherited privilege.

I want to feel a tingle of pride when I hear our national anthem reverberating around the Olympic Stadium, but alas, in lieu of pride I cringe and shudder with embarrassment.

And FYI just because something is old it doesn't automatically qualify reverence.

This.

I'd rep if I had any left :tongue:
Reply 33
No, she's an elderly lady of German ancestry.

ah, now you see I typed my other post out in capital letters for comedic effect but TSR changed it back to lower lettering....

She is indeed an elderly lady, but her German Heritage is of no consequence to her being head of state of GB, she is more British than most.
What other british things are you gonna sing about? Full english breakfasts?, big ben? cups of tea? you can end up making it sound a bit tacky
Reply 35
In the past, the monarchy was pretty much synonymous with the country, and the monarchy was put there by God thanks to the 'Divine Right of Kings'. Personally, this is a ridiculously outdated notion - the national anthem should be contemporary (or at least timeless) to make it meaningful to US - the people living in the UK now, not a hundred years ago. God Save the Queen is also extremely dull - I think it should be changed to something more powerful like Jerusalem.
Reply 36

I like his view lol.
Reply 37
Lets just change it to Bowie. Lots & lots of Bowie.
Let's just play something by Led Zeppelin. It's British, it actually sounds good and people might know some of the lyrics beyond the title.

If the Scots are bothered by it being too English then we can come to a compromise, like playing something by The Proclaimers every 10th time or whatever.
Original post by Harpoon
The King/Queen is the embodiment of Britain ... therefore it is dedicated to them. And "God Save Our Union Flag" doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.

So an unelected head of state who is also the head of a crumbling church is the "embodiment of Britain"

I cannot fathom this obsession with the Royal Family. It's as if they've been forced upon us by the media for so long that we have been brainwashed into loving them and treating them with adulation.

The whole concept of a democracy is that any one person from any background and of any creed or religion can become the head of state and this "institution" makes a mockery of the very term "democracy"

They are truly an anachronism in modern Britain and I for one look forward to a United Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest