The Student Room Group

Why are more people wearing glasses than ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by randomguy786
Ah ok so what did work colleagues/friends say when you starting wearing them?

Umm "They make your ears look big" and "They make you look smart" were quite common reactions.

I meant, if your optician prescribes you glasses for distance and you use them for reading as well, would your eyes deteriorate further?

No, because "Distance" glasses are actually just corrective (I.e. They're not only for distance, despite the name), and can be worn all the time. Although, you won't need to wear them when reading because if you're myopic you won't have issues seeing near things anyway.
But yeah, it's fine because they're only corrective and they don't make you see things further away any better than things nearby, unlike reading glasses which only work for reading and won't allow you to see far away.

Personally, I wear my distance glasses pretty much all the time. Ideally I shouldn't. But wearing distance glasses for reading doesn't do the harm that reading glasses would do if you wear them whilst looking at a distance.
Reply 81
You forgot to mention hairier (yes that's a real word) palms too

:sexface:
Original post by tamimi
Umm "They make your ears look big" and "They make you look smart" were quite common reactions.

No, because "Distance" glasses are actually just corrective (I.e. They're not only for distance, despite the name), and can be worn all the time. Although, you won't need to wear them when reading because if you're myopic you won't have issues seeing near things anyway.
But yeah, it's fine because they're only corrective and they don't make you see things further away any better than things nearby, unlike reading glasses which only work for reading and won't allow you to see far away.

Personally, I wear my distance glasses pretty much all the time. Ideally I shouldn't. But wearing distance glasses for reading doesn't do the harm that reading glasses would do if you wear them whilst looking at a distance.

That's a relief. I always forget to take them off when I'm reading!

So did you start wearing them this year?
Do you notice a difference with them off now that you've worn them for so long?
Recently I've noticed that so many people wear glasses now. I remember looking around my classroom before A-Levels and 80% of the people in my classroom were wearing glasses. It's crazy!

At work today, I've noticed loads of young teens were wearing glasses, I remember 10 years back in my final year of primary school, there were only like 2 people who wore glasses, but now it's more like every other person.

Why is it that each year more and more people start wearing glasses? Especially younger kids?

TV's and computers for you.
If you don't exercise a muscle then it becomes weaker - same is true with your eyes and then you lens starts to deform.
Reply 84
I think computer use has made peoples eyesight worse and that's probably why so many people are needing glasses. I also think that glasses themselves seem to be becoming more fashionable as well (people may have been using contact lenses before). For quite some time people seemed to dislike glasses and favoured contact lenses.
Original post by Sazzy890
I think computer use has made peoples eyesight worse and that's probably why so many people are needing glasses. I also think that glasses themselves seem to be becoming more fashionable as well (people may have been using contact lenses before). For quite some time people seemed to dislike glasses and favoured contact lenses.

I've been reading loads of studies, but it seems like no one knows what causes myopia. It's so weird and such a common disease, yet no one knows what causes it!

"Some studies suggest it's not so much the time you spend doing close-up work, but the time you spend using distance vision that matters," Vitale suggests. "It's brighter outside. You are looking at more distant objects. But kids today are spending much less time outside."

Time spent doing homework or time spent doing near activities did not show a correlation, in fact time spent playing hand held console games was associated with a more hyperopic refraction in crude analysis13. This data suggests a link between near work and myopia but does not conclude a causative relationship. A number of studies have looked at computer use and myopia and found no significant correlation14.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
I've been reading loads of studies, but it seems like no one knows what causes myopia. It's so weird and such a common disease, yet no one knows what causes it!

Hmmm, yeah, I'm in no way an expert myself. Though I do think that close-up work caused my vision problems because I seemed to have perfect eyesight til I went to uni, then I was reading LOADS of books, writing essays up on computer etc. It seemed like after a few months of doing that a lot more I ended up not being able to see much and needing glasses :s-smilie:
Reply 87
I think it's partly computers, partly that people are now more likely to go to the opticians for eyesight that would have been deemed tolerable not so long ago. For instance, I had to get glasses for seeing lectures because the power points were just blurry messes if I sat too far back, but someone who doesn't necessarily have the need to see clearly long distance might have glasses for the same prescription as me. Before, it might not have crossed their mind that they might benefit from wearing glasses, but nowadays with opticians popping up everywhere and adverts always on the telly people are more likely to think "Oh, maybe I should see if I need glasses" which the opticians will then prescribe, even if it's a low prescription, so they can get more money!

Opticians are a business at the end of the day so if someone comes in for an eye test and there is the opportunity to sell them a pair then they will!
Reply 88
Contacts ftw, only wear my glasses if I'm indoors or in a rush.
Reply 89
That's a relief. I always forget to take them off when I'm reading!

So did you start wearing them this year?
Do you notice a difference with them off now that you've worn them for so long?

I've been wearing them for 2 years, and Yes and no.

No, I don't think the difference is dramatic, and that may be down to the fact that I know what my prescription is and that I'm conscience of the fact that I don't need it, because I've handled patients with far worse prescriptions. Someone with the same prescription as me who does NOT work in the industry may feel different.

Yes, on the other hand, I can tell that it does make a difference, especially when driving.
Reply 90
Original post by tamimi
It's quite pricey and the cost depends on the extent of the procedure. Not very sure but I think Vision Express give Free Consultations/Quotations.

Some providers have finance options. Optical Express for example: http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery/laser-eye-surgery-cost-and-finance-options.html

Accuvision have 0% finance but I don't know much about them so I can't recommend.
http://www.accuvision.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery-cost.html

According to my sister the treatment is only temporary. As in you eyes start to get worse even after the operation but no one actually knows why as of yet.
Reply 91
More people need them, the introduction of television, computers and video games have definitely played a part.

Contacts really irritate my eyes so I don't really have a choice.

Really annoys me when people who don't need them wear them o_0
It does annoy me when you get people wearing those big nerd glasses. They think they're so cool, but aren't.
Reply 93
How about those wearing glasses before any of these things like television and computers came about?
Reply 94
Original post by Rosa Arabelle
This.

One of my friends actually pretended to be short-sighted just so she could get "nerdy" glasses. Needless to say, her mum made her wear it almost every day and now she's pretty much dependent on them because her eyesight's worsened :smile:.

That's pretty messed up stuff!
Reply 95
Original post by nmr1991
How about those wearing glasses before any of these things like television and computers came about?

I've been wearing them since I was 6, but, a lot of people are developing worse eyesight later on in their life.
Original post by katehlouise
I really think it's computers/video games. I think that's what ruined my eyes. I had perfect vision up until about year 10. Now I have to wear glasses constantly and it sucks.

I've used computers a lot, used to play lots of video games and play a lot of online games. I have 20/20 perfect vision. You mad? :smug:

I'm guessing you played with the screen far too close to your face in bad lighting. Or you read a lot of books with the books too close to your face in bad lighting. That's probably what ****ed up your eyes.
Whoah, I can't believe this. All of you need to do some research. Close-eye tasks such as reading/using a computer do not make you myopic. They may make your eyes tired and cause headaches but they do not make you myopic. It's a complete myth.

Most people become myopic in their teens because the eyeball changes shape which causes the light rays to refract close to the retina, not perfectly on it.

People accuse the T.V because when people become myopic they start to watch it at a close distance. Their eyes deteriorate and then they think: Oh, I know, I always watch T.V closely so that is what caused me to be myopic.
I used to read every night in terrible lighting as a kid. :/
When I started out I only needed to wear them when reading and watching TV but then apparently my eyes got too used to the glasses so I had to keep them on all the time. :s-smilie: I think that happens a lot :frown: Some people don't really need them but they get used to them and then they can't see properly without them.
Reply 99
Original post by tamimi

For some reason the distant glasses makes my eyes hurt and strain them. I use weaker glasses for reading and computer.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest