Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on connecting hard drive to TV via media player

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically what I am trying to do it hook up my 1TB NTFS formatted (but this can be changed I suppose) Seagate hard drive to my TV which has hdmi/vga/scart input. Since my laptop overheats/has no VGA port I'd rather just directly do it through my hard drive and forget about plugging in my laptop altogether.

Am I correct in saying if I bought a media player, plugged this into my hard drive then into my TV (via hdmi) I could watch all the shows stored on there?
    I have a couple of .avi and mp4 films I'd love to be able to watch on an actual TV, their quality isn't amazing but it's decent enough to be able to enjoy the film, so I don't need a high end media player.

I've looked at this, this and this.
    I never knew these existed until a couple of mins ago and never realised they'd be so cheap. Any recommendations for less than £30?

Or is there is another way to hook my hard drive up that is cheaper? (I don't have a playstation/xbox).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yep those will all work, i doubt you'll get one much cheaper as well.

Unless your TV has a USB port or some networking features (some new tv's do) then this is the simplest way to do what you describe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah I have a very basic tv so it doesn't have usb in it, nor does my dvd player.
    That's brilliant news though, can finally watch the films on tv, thank you
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    Basically what I am trying to do it hook up my 1TB NTFS formatted (but this can be changed I suppose) Seagate hard drive to my TV which has hdmi/vga/scart input. Since my laptop overheats/has no VGA port I'd rather just directly do it through my hard drive and forget about plugging in my laptop altogether.

Am I correct in saying if I bought a media player, plugged this into my hard drive then into my TV (via hdmi) I could watch all the shows stored on there?
    I have a couple of .avi and mp4 films I'd love to be able to watch on an actual TV, their quality isn't amazing but it's decent enough to be able to enjoy the film, so I don't need a high end media player.

I've looked at this, this and this.
    I never knew these existed until a couple of mins ago and never realised they'd be so cheap. Any recommendations for less than £30?

Or is there is another way to hook my hard drive up that is cheaper? (I don't have a playstation/xbox).
    Yes technically if the media player supports an external hard drive. Make sure you got the right supported video format as well

All the links you gave seem pretty good, it's up to you
    is this an external hard drive?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yes technically if the media player supports an external hard drive. Make sure you got the right supported video format as well

All the links you gave seem pretty good, it's up to you
    is this an external hard drive?
    I'm now thinking this which is just a newer verison of the last one but it support .mkv files which I sometimes download.
    The actual device isn't an external hard drive if you mean that...I want to connect my external hard drive though.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    I'm now thinking this which is just a newer verison of the last one but it support .mkv files which I sometimes download.
    The actual device isn't an external hard drive if you mean that...I want to connect my external hard drive though.
    Just make sure it supports your video files and you'll be fine.

I meant the hard drive your using to store your videos? If it's external than it'll fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Just make sure it supports your video files and you'll be fine.

I meant the hard drive your using to store your videos? If it's external than it'll fine.
    It does
    Oh yeah it's an external hard drive, that's great then i'll probably be ordering this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.