Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to enhance naturally curly hair?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was just looking for a bit of advice on how to enhance my naturally wavy/curly hair. After I shower I normally let it dry naturally and once dry I brush it but it looks a bit dry. What products would you guys recommend I use on my hair e.g mousse or what your daily hair regime is.

I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks you!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Brushing ruins your curls... try finger-combing them gently.
    About the products, I don't have curly hair so I'm not sure but I think you should get these hair creams that keep curly hair moisturized
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I (along with many other curlies) follow the curly girl routine. This means using a "no-poo" (non-sulphate shampoo) and a silicone free conditioner. You leave quite a lot of the conditioner in your hair and then style with a water soluble gel. Scrunch most of the water out with a tea-shirt and and then plop (tie the tea-shirt on your head). The best sources of info on this is naturallycurly.com and waterlilly716 on youtube (american) and british curlies. There is also a book called curly girl which is a bit of a waste of money. Feel free to ask me questions about it. It has really helped me to get good definition and volume whilst maintaining clumps. It is a no brushing and no heat method so really kind to your hair. Have you tried curly like me method? I haven't but would be interested to hear about experiences. I just don't think it would provide enough hold for my mane!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brunettej)
    Brushing ruins your curls... try finger-combing them gently.
    About the products, I don't have curly hair so I'm not sure but I think you should get these hair creams that keep curly hair moisturized
    I detangle in the shower with my hair saturated in a lot of high slip conditioner. I use my fingers or a wide tooth comb. I never do it dry. I have used "Boots Pink" a forum fave for curlies but it contains a drying alcohol which meant I stopped using it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofflight)
    I detangle in the shower with my hair saturated in a lot of high slip conditioner. I use my fingers or a wide tooth comb. I never do it dry. I have used "Boots Pink" a forum fave for curlies but it contains a drying alcohol which meant I stopped using it.
    Thats a great way to detangle
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lali333)
    Hey guys I was just looking for a bit of advice on how to enhance my naturally wavy/curly hair. After I shower I normally let it dry naturally and once dry I brush it but it looks a bit dry. What products would you guys recommend I use on my hair e.g mousse or what your daily hair regime is.

First off, don't ever brush your hair whilst dry! I have curly hair myself, and it too can get frizzy, if I don't take care of it properly, that is. Buy yourself a wide toothcomb and only use it when your hair is wet, not after you shower, but during, while you're still conditioning your hair. Wash it out with cold water, and then towel dry, preferably using a curl-ease towel, which you can purchase at www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store. The products I use are from the TIGI Catwalk Curlesque Collection, and they work wonders! You must try the Curls Rock Amplifier, it’s absolutely amazing! Anyhow, I hope this helped you out a bit
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=iMelisa;38808121]
    (Original post by lali333)

First off, don't ever brush your hair whilst dry! I have curly hair myself, and it too can get frizzy, if I don't take care of it properly, that is. Buy yourself a wide toothcomb and only use it when your hair is wet, not after you shower, but during, while you're still conditioning your hair. Wash it out with cold water, and then towel dry, preferably using a curl-ease towel, which you can purchase at www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store. The products I use are from the TIGI Catwalk Curlesque Collection, and they work wonders! You must try the Curls Rock Amplifier, it’s absolutely amazing! Anyhow, I hope this helped you out a bit
    I would be really careful when you dry. I very gently scrunch from dripping wet (with loads of gel in) with a tee shirt and that stops frizz. I then "plop" which is basically piling the hair on top of my head in a tee shirt for about 20 mins. British Curlies has a forum and there are so many good people on there who will help.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used 'twisted sista' shampoo and conditioner. I comb my hair while it has conditioner in it then I put Boots own-brand curly hair mousse in my hair while its still wet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofflight)
    I (along with many other curlies) follow the curly girl routine. This means using a "no-poo" (non-sulphate shampoo) and a silicone free conditioner. You leave quite a lot of the conditioner in your hair and then style with a water soluble gel. Scrunch most of the water out with a tea-shirt and and then plop (tie the tea-shirt on your head). The best sources of info on this is naturallycurly.com and waterlilly716 on youtube (american) and british curlies. There is also a book called curly girl which is a bit of a waste of money. Feel free to ask me questions about it. It has really helped me to get good definition and volume whilst maintaining clumps. It is a no brushing and no heat method so really kind to your hair. Have you tried curly like me method? I haven't but would be interested to hear about experiences. I just don't think it would provide enough hold for my mane!
    Yep, I came here to give this exact advice.

Go onto the British Curlies website, and have a look at what they say. Your curls will start to come out more using their routines. Very helpful.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.