Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any lucid dreamers out there? :)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

For anyone who doesn't know : Lucid dreaming just means being able to control what happens in your dreams.

I only found out a while ago there was a term for it. I wouldn't say I'm a perfect lucid dreamer but I sometimes get what I want out of dreams. Never fully though - I'll never have a dream where it completely goes the way I want. Also when it comes to nightmares (which I rarely have, thankfully) I'm not able to control them

My other issue is that even when I have good dreams, if I have them too often they turn into nightmares somehow. (E.g I meet a person I like in the dreams but eventually they become murderous or something.)

So, anyone else who's a lucid dreamer? What do you like to dream of? Any tips?
    I found this site with 50 ways you could try become a better lucid dreamer. One tip is to count backwards from 100 as you fall asleep: "100. I'm dreaming. 99. I'm dreaming. 98. I'm dreaming..." It sounds weird but it also sounds easy so I'm going try it! :P
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    :holmes: Hmm, interesting, I shall try this too. I have a certain control over my dreams, but it has a habit of deserting me in perilous situations...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might have had one before, because i had never felt control in a dream. Usually it just randomly happens but i felt i had a bit more control over it. Maybe it helped i had a smoke....not sure
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had a few OBE. One minute I'll be chillin on the couch or something and then next minute I'll be floating in the air. Every time I get scared and get pulled backwards and wakeup!! I hope one day I can master this. Maybe I can work for like the CIA or something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have lucid dreams, I love them. It works when i realise i am dreaming, then i can have free will with whatever is around. I've even told characters in my dream that i'm dreaming before, I don't think that was a good move though everyone got a bit confused and paranoid. It's amazing though, sort of like being in a RPG game, which are my favourite kind of games

I've got a lot of benefits, eating something you really crave in a dream is great

I'm sorry if this sounds really weird. Haha.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had never lucid dreamed until a few weeks ago. When I realise that I'm in a dream (usually through something impossible occuring) I become more conscious and can will things to happen. It's quite peculiar.

The only downside seems to be, when I wake up I suffer sleep paralysis. Often have to spend five minutes getting my legs to wake up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It varies for me really, sometimes I just wake up with no memory of even having a dream. It's literally, I'm awake the night before and then I'm simply awake and it's day time. No memory of a dream.

But yeah, I've been able to control my dreams at times, not for very long though, I start to realise that I'm dreaming and slowly start to wake up, which is annoying, especially if it's a good dream.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger, I used to be really into this sort of thing :rolleyes: It was helpful because I got a lot of nightmares, so being able to tell I was dreaming was good. I used to kick off from the ground (in the dream) and fly away when I got too scared - how I'd get myself to wake up. Can't do it anymore though, but my dreams are a lot nicer so it doesn't matter anyway. I prefer to think they're real.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    thought i'd bump this thread cos' I've never been much of a lucid dreamer yet this past week every single dream I've had has been lucid!

Really mundane things have happened in my dreams then all of a sudden it hits me 'I'm in a dream here' and sometimes I don't believe it and jump in the air to test it (in my dream I'll float when I jump :ahee:)... as soon as I realise, it becomes a challenge to stay in the dream but as the week has gone on, I've become better at a) realising it is a dream and b) staying in the dream.

It's pretty cool but I often get really excited and think 'omg I can do anything'... then I just don;t know what to do and wake up with a sudden jolt. :p:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have known of lucid dreaming for about 3 years, tried really hard for the first 6months and had 6 lucid dreams. However since then I have kinda wavered, I have tried different techniques but never with the conviction of before.

I downloaded an app called i-doser to my ipod, it had a binural beats track that you are meant to listen to before you go to bed to help you lucid dream. I tried it yesterday evening and I had more dreams than I normally do however still no lucid dreams.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been for a while now even since I can remember. Something mid dream would just click e.g. say your in a conversation and you remember something random... Is how I would realise.

My last Lucid dream was of the rapture I was too scared to keep moving about during the dream and woke myself up by rubbing my eyes in the dream.

Some Inception shizzle right there :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    I had never lucid dreamed until a few weeks ago. When I realise that I'm in a dream (usually through something impossible occuring) I become more conscious and can will things to happen. It's quite peculiar.

The only downside seems to be, when I wake up I suffer sleep paralysis. Often have to spend five minutes getting my legs to wake up.
    I've only had it once in living memory, and it was a nightmare which then turned into a terrifying sleep paralysis. :unsure: Apart from that, I never know I'm dreaming until I wake up. :dontknow:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amwazicles)
    I've only had it once in living memory, and it was a nightmare which then turned into a terrifying sleep paralysis. :unsure: Apart from that, I never know I'm dreaming until I wake up. :dontknow:
    Allegedly you can train yourself to lucid dream. Presumably by training to look for clues and flaws that reveal the dream cannot be reality.

While it's interesting, I can't see much use for it yet :holmes:
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    Allegedly you can train yourself to lucid dream. Presumably by training to look for clues and flaws that reveal the dream cannot be reality.

While it's interesting, I can't see much use for it yet :holmes:
    Yeah I've heard about that. The trouble is, you have to teach yourself to do 'reality checks' in waking life, and I think if I started doing that on a regular basis I would end up having some kind of existential crisis. I hate dreams in general anyway, and I'd normally rather not have to think about them any more than is necessary.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to have various sleep issues when I was a kid. Mainly night terrors, sleep walking (for me, the opposite of lucid dreaming because I would think it was a dream but it would actually be happening in real life) and lucid dreaming - which I didn't particularly enjoy because most of the time the dreams were nightmares and I would often drop down and pretend to be dead so that the threat didn't kill me.

Nowadays it's sometimes sleep paralysis, very rarely now though. That isn't very nice either, because I can't move when it happens and the things from my dreams manifest into real life for a short while.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you guys know about reality checks its really difficult to remember to do them. I have came up with a solution to this when you are sitting at your computer, which for me anyway is a huge amount of time.

I'm creating/ nearly finished a program in which you can select how often you want it to remind you and then it will just sit in the backround, invisible until that time is up and then a popup will flash up reminding you to reality check. I'm hoping prolonged use of this program will mean that any dream you have on which you are using your computer (since you only remember some of your dreams then hopefully this is quite often.) this program will be ingrained into your mind when using your computer and thus in the dream you will do a reality check and then realizing you are dreaming.

The program sounds pretty simple however whoever designed the feature for random numbers and timers in Visual basic should be shot because they are the least logical instructions ever to be invented, a very simple task using them can never be done as you think it would. /rant
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm a lucid dreamer . It only happens in good situations, never nightmares.

Lucid dreams are fun.. I researched it and once I realised I wasn't mad, I tried to make a conscious decision to control as many of my dreams as possible. I don't always have them but when I do, I make full works of them

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream once where I am casually smoking a cigar and then out of the blue my French teacher is chasing after me trying to hand me work for my next class. By that time I wake up with sweat covered all over my face. Weird dream
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've known about it for probably over a year now but I've never actually started to do it. Although it sounds fascinating.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to learn... Just so I can do maths in my head over night. I could become so brainy :P
    Maybe I could do calculus in my dreams! xD

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.