The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'll have 55p/w.
Catered accomdation so it's more than enough! :colone:

Does anyone know how much a lunch at a school cafeteria costs & what do they usually cook?
Reply 61
Last year I had around £90 to spend a week which is pretty decent and very manageable in my opinion. This year I should have around £10-15 pounds to live off once I take away my rent and average out the utility bills. Pray to God that I'll be able to find a part time job otherwise, it's pasta for tea everyday and no drinking or social life.
Reply 62
^ Last year I had about £90 to spend per week as well lol.

I'm predicting about £35/week this year since I'm not living in cheap halls anymore, and that my contract is 52 weeks compared to last year's 39 weeks. And I thought I was going to have it tough lol.
Reply 63
My loans, grant and bursary will total £7600+ this year. Allowing for that to last from 1st Oct to 31st May (36 weeks) then i have a total of £211 per week.

My accommodation will be between £85 and £121 per week depending on when i can get my deposit to book one but assuming the cheapest then my accommodation totals £3100 leaving £125 per week which will be roughly broken down per month as follows...

Toiletries - £20 (Pound shops sell exactly the same stuff as Boots ect..)
Food - £80 (Shop around and you can live comfortably)
General spending - £100
Phone - £10 (3 sim only)
Transport - £70 (unlimited bus and train travel within Yorkshire)
£100 - Clothes

Provided i can get a job the end of May (reasonable) then i should be pretty well off.
about £100 a week. Rent is taken care of so that's just food and going out, once freshers is over ill probs cut it down to about £60 and save the rest
Reply 65
Agreed. During uni last 3 years (outside London, but Oxford still has some quite high rents), after rent being paid, I could live on around £30 a week unless I spend money on course materials - I walk everywhere, to campus and to city etc. Most of my money would go on grocery shopping. I guess I don't drink alcohol so may be why? And seriously - you wouldn't need an allowance for clothing every week.. what else would you buy?
Reply 66
I think the main difference is that some people spend money on going out and clothes...
if you go out 2 times a week and spend 25 pouns thats 50 pounds just on going out...
one pair of designer brand jeans costs 100 pounds etc

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Am I the only one who plans to get a job and go from there? Maybe I'll get something to start with but I doubt it. Going for like 20/30 a week in the start... move upto the big 40!
After my accommodation, I'll have around £60 a week which I know I can live pretty easily on I think. I never really spend more than £15/20 on a night out and I don't think I'll need any new clothes apart from stuff like tights :tongue:
Don't know why people are worrying about living on £100 a week, thats plenty!
Reply 69
Original post by Silver Aurora
Am I the only one who plans to get a job and go from there? Maybe I'll get something to start with but I doubt it. Going for like 20/30 a week in the start... move upto the big 40!

I'm counting on getting a job student finance might just pay my accommodation ... so i need money for food and anything else, i've managed to save up quite a bit over the last two years of part-time working which is good but i don't want to have to worry about money so i'm getting a job anyway, luckily i work for tesco and they run a student transfer scheme so hopefully get moved to another store and go back to home store during holidays :smile:
Original post by katie55
I'm counting on getting a job student finance might just pay my accommodation ... so i need money for food and anything else, i've managed to save up quite a bit over the last two years of part-time working which is good but i don't want to have to worry about money so i'm getting a job anyway, luckily i work for tesco and they run a student transfer scheme so hopefully get moved to another store and go back to home store during holidays :smile:

Ahaha good to hear! Lucky haha :P
Reply 71
I'll have £608 a month. £413 of which is going on Rent. So... £50 max.
Reply 72
I'll have saved enough to spend £170 a week I think.

I plan to save as much as I can though so hopefully I'll need no more than £70ish
(edited 11 years ago)
With my savings from my jobs now and the tiny bit extra from my loan once accommodation is gone about £20/£30 a week. I am going to need a job, aren't I? :frown:
Last year I had around £10-15 a week to live on for food/tolietries etc (I had already discounted transport as where I was living I needed to get the bus in and back from the main university campus). It's perfectly doable, if a little annoying (particularly when most other people in the halls I was in were student nurses who didn't seem to have any financial problems at all!).
Reply 75
What are you on about? That amount is how much I have to spend not how much I am spending.
Reply 76
I'm going into my 3rd year and I've never budgeted. :colondollar: However, I wish I did so I could have saved some money.

Feeling inspired (and grateful) reading some stories here so I'm off to make a budgeting sheet!
Original post by Beautiful.In.Los.Angeles.
How Much Money Will You Be Living On Per Week At Uni?

After rent? no idea... I don't have a job and I don't want to live off my father anymore so most likely £0 until I can get a decent job somewhere :smile:
I genuinely don't care how much I spend, as long as I don't go too overboard. Uni is meant to be the best time of your life so if I end up in a bit more debt from it then I don't mind being in that position afterwards.
Reply 79
Rent obviously being my largest expense, I worked out I'll have roughly £60-£70 a week to live on. This is only with the loans taken into account (I'll try and get a job of course and my parents will help me a little if I need it). Hopefully I'll be able to live on that...

Latest

Trending

Trending