Who wants to visit China

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I'm visiting Asia next year
    I read that as 'I'm visiting Asda next year'. I was thinking:
    'erm...good for you.' :facepalm:

OP, yes, I'd love to visit China, but flights are so expensive.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, I see.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    Does it involve Beijing Shanghai and Macau?
    Going to these 3 cities simultaneously might be fatal to your pocket.....
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm heading for China in Nov/Dec to teach English for 6months-1 year.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    I'm heading for China in Nov/Dec to teach English for 6months-1 year.
    It's cool, when and where?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BISYITS1)
    It's cool, when and where?
    I already said when, I haven't decided where yet. Sometime in September I will be choosing the jobs and areas that I like the most and speaking to the schools to arrange everything.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Hong Kong this year, but I want to make the most of it and explore a bit of Asia.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to go etc.? Or any advice on HK Etc.??
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    My family moved here. Now I can't wait to leave this place :sad:

In all honestly, visiting China is great. Living here? Ehh
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhforever)
    Guys,

You just have to go to Jiuzhaigou. Google it and when u reach there, its exactly the same as those picutres in google(better imho). Its got the most breathtaking scenic view imo. Never regreted going there.
    That places looks incredible, how long did you spend there? If I was living in HK would I be able to go there for like a weekend or something? (I'm working during the week you see)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    I'm going to Hong Kong this year, but I want to make the most of it and explore a bit of Asia.

Your quote :love:

You should go to the tourist hotspots of course ... Tsim Sha Tsui would be a must to stop by (I suggest you refrain from buying anything though), and Central is great to check out too. Local teenagers love going to Causeway Bay, where there are places like Sogo to explore.

If you've got good Cantonese and/or haggling skills, go to Mongkok to shop. However, if you've never been to Asia before and do not know how crowded things can get (no, London is absolutely not crowded in comparison), Mongkok will be a whole new experience Tung Chung is a great place to go for outlet shopping. Bicester Village doesn't compare, the outlet mall in Tung Chung SLASHES its prices, especially during the summer! Not to mention that if you're into the historical stuff, in Tung Chung there's this one giant, 20-minute long cable car that takes you to see some very interesting sites, although you might have to queue for two hours beforehand.

Food will generally be of a standard and quality not easily found in places outside of Hong Kong, so don't worry about where you eat most of the time. I'd suggest you find a local to take you to yum cha, which has amazing dumplings. Refrain from eating anything Western (especially not Italian) because in Hong Kong, it's all about Asian cuisine! Japanese food is second only to Japan here, so give it a try too My favourite chain to go to is the Japanese Casual Restaurant in Hong Kong, which you can find in many places.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'll get back to you if I can!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    That places looks incredible, how long did you spend there? If I was living in HK would I be able to go there for like a weekend or something? (I'm working during the week you see)
    You will not be able to go there for a weekend! Jiuzhaigou is in the northwestern Sichuan province, faaaar deep into China (It took me almost a day (or half a day, I can't remember now) to travel to Chengdu by plane)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    Your quote :love:

You should go to the tourist hotspots of course ... Tsim Sha Tsui would be a must to stop by (I suggest you refrain from buying anything though), and Central is great to check out too. Local teenagers love going to Causeway Bay, where there are places like Sogo to explore.

If you've got good Cantonese and/or haggling skills, go to Mongkok to shop. However, if you've never been to Asia before and do not know how crowded things can get (no, London is absolutely not crowded in comparison), Mongkok will be a whole new experience Tung Chung is a great place to go for outlet shopping. Bicester Village doesn't compare, the outlet mall in Tung Chung SLASHES its prices, especially during the summer! Not to mention that if you're into the historical stuff, in Tung Chung there's this one giant, 20-minute long cable car that takes you to see some very interesting sites, although you might have to queue for two hours beforehand.

Food will generally be of a standard and quality not easily found in places outside of Hong Kong, so don't worry about where you eat most of the time. I'd suggest you find a local to take you to yum cha, which has amazing dumplings. Refrain from eating anything Western (especially not Italian) because in Hong Kong, it's all about Asian cuisine! Japanese food is second only to Japan here, so give it a try too My favourite chain to go to is the Japanese Casual Restaurant in Hong Kong, which you can find in many places.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'll get back to you if I can!
    Ah your'e a legend, thanks so much for your reply! I'm actually working in Central for a few months - so should have a good amount of time to explore the City! Cannot wait
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    My family moved here. Now I can't wait to leave this place :sad:

In all honestly, visiting China is great. Living here? Ehh
    YEAP! I cant stand the people there though. Elbowing culture, shouting on the streets and worst of all cut-queuing culture.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    not me, until it becomes a democracy! I'm scared of being imprisoned or watched by the government snoops :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Make sure you visit Victoria Peak at night!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    China is an incredible country. The vastness and variation of landscapes is amazing. I have only been to Shanghai, but I often look at other locations, which really need to be seen to be believed.

For example, Zhangjiajie, which inspired Avatar's Pandora landscape in the film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF6...eature=related (skip to around 2.21 to see Pandora's famous 'floating mountains')

Or Mt. Huangshan, which is sacred to the Chinese

Or Jiuzhaigou Valley with its multicolored lakes.

And I haven't even mentioned places like Xi'an, Lijiang, Chengdu (wild pandas, anyone?), Lhasa, Hangzhou, Harbin, Tianjin, and of course the likes of Beijing, Hong Kong, Macau and Shanghai.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    China is an incredible country. The vastness and variation of landscapes is amazing. I have only been to Shanghai, but I often look at other locations, which really need to be seen to be believed.

For example, Zhangjiajie, which inspired Avatar's Pandora landscape in the film.

Or Mount Hangshuan, which is scared to the Chinese

Or Jiuzhaigou Valley with its multicolored lakes.

And I haven't even mentioned places like Xi'an, Lijiang, Chengdu (wild pandas, anyone?), Lhasa, Hangzhou, Harbin, Tianjin, and of course the likes of Beijing, Hong Kong, Macau and Shanghai.
    sacred u meant? THere is also Emei mountain and Wudang mountain! All in all China is a place to visit, not juz once, but multiple times. A pity though imho, its not very livable due to differences in culture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

If its hot weather go to repulse bay, it sounds really horrible but it was so nice when I went, but then that's probably because I've never experienced warm currents in water before lol. And now I get to say I've swum in shark infested water
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    is it dangerous for white people? i heard they are quite racist and they don't have the best governmental regime in the world...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    If its hot weather go to repulse bay, it sounds really horrible but it was so nice when I went, but then that's probably because I've never experienced warm currents in water before lol. And now I get to say I've swum in shark infested water
    I'd advise bringing A LOT of sunscreen/umbrellas/sandals because the sand get sooooooo hot its unbearable, especially when its super sunny.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.