The Student Room Group

Bring parents the days before freshers?

I am starting university next month and for the first days before freshers my Mom wants to stay a night at uni with me to help furnish and check the room out.

Should I let her or should I tell her that I can go alone?
cuz she really wants to come see n help

What do you normally do? Bring your parents a day if they want to, or go alone to furnish?
Reply 1
Well to help move in, but definitely don't let her stay the night. That's social suicide.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by JoshhB
Well to help move in, but definitely don't let her stay the night. That's social suicide.

I'd say definitely do not let her stay. You will want to get acquainted with your new flatmates.
I had my parents help me move in but I'd say to tell her that you want to do it on your own. I love my parents to bits, but it's when your independence properly starts.
What I did last year was moved in and for a couple of days I had my Mum stay in a nearby B&B, so if there were any questions about stuff she was there, but this also allowed me to have some independence on those days too
Reply 5
There will probably be plenty of parents hanging around on the move in dates, mine are coming to help me but luckily not staying the night, but they may come back again the next day if I need them. When you say your mum wants to stay the night do you mean in halls with you??? Just tell her you want to make friends and stuff and you may go out that night and give her a website for a cheap travel lodge :P Where I'm going move in weekend is 2 days before all the proper freshers stuff starts anyway and I'm assuming it's similar for most other places so hopefully if she is insistent on staying the night she won't clash with freshers.
Reply 6
Mine dropped me off, helped out abit with the organising on all my crap and said bye. The first day is the time you need to get to know your flatmates.
My family are dropping me off and helping me move in on the day, they're staying the night but in a hotel somewhere in the city because its too far away from my home to drive back. But I don't think it'll bother me too much, I probably won't see them the next day.
Reply 8
def dont like her stay the night- just let her drop you off and help put things in your room! you will feel left out if you let her stay because you wont be able to interact properly with your flatmates if your mum is around! after about an hour being in halls we all went out to look around the town, tescos etc you will miss out on these initial meeting times- one of my flatmates went out for a meal whilst we was all doing this and she later said she felt left out and as if we had all bonded quickly and she had missed out! plus you will probably be going out at night even before freshers properly starts and you don't wanna miss out on the first night out!
Reply 9
I'd probably ask her to stay in a nearby hotel - then you can have the first night with your housemates and your mom can buy you a hangover full English in the morning.

Remember, you are gaining your independance, but they are saying goodbye to thier child and watching them gain independance. Try to be sensitive to how they're feeling aswell - it's emotional for them too you know! Be thankful that they want to be there in your first few days to make sure you settle in properly, it will definitely put thier mind at rest before heading home!

A nice way of asking them to stay in a nearby hotel would be just to explain that it would put your mind at rest for them to be nearby on your first night, but you feel it's important to spend the first night in halls alone to adjust to your new environment.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending