The Student Room Group

How much did PS1 games cost?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ordovician442
I know Lego Racers cost £29.95 when it was bought back in 2000 or 2001 (the price sticker is still on the case 10 years later :tongue:)

I purchased F1 2004 for 29.99 in 2005 and funny enough the price of the game was on the case too using a sticker!
Reply 41
Original post by tamimi
Crash Bandicot RRP was £20 something quid. But, remember that 20 quid was worth a lot more back then.

So in terms of today's money, they probably cost the same as an Xbox 360 game would today

That was when it was platinum. Newly released it was £35 to 40, as were most PS1 and Saturn games. N64 games, when the N64 was first released, could be higher (as much as £70) supposedly because of the higher cost of manufacturing cartridges compared to CDs. However, it was still possible to get a newly released N64 game for reaonably cheap if you went online or mail order (I got one for £23 when most outlets were charging £40) and N64 games soon fell to a more reasonably price.

Original post by gridlock
I remember PS1 games being around £20, PS2 about £30 and PS3 are about £40. Looks like they'll be £100 each by the PS9.

See above. The cost of games has, if anything, fallen since reaching a high in the early and mid 90s with cartridges and the still relatively new CD. A newly released game often cost £35+ then, and still costs that amount now. Inflation hasn't really had an effect. PS3 games might cost up to forty quid in store, but they can be bought online for cheaper.
Reply 42
Original post by River85
N64 games soon fell to a more reasonably price.

I think it depended on cartridge size partly, I remember paying a hell of a lot, like £60+ for Perfect Dark in 2000. Now you can get a device that lets you play roms off SD card meaning you can basically have a cartridge with every N64 game on, it's mad.
Reply 43
Remember to this day seeing Metal Gear Solid for PS1 in Woolworths for £39.99. I suppose in ten years we'll look back at PS2/3 era games and wonder why we spent £40 or so on them, some of the games lose value over time while others gain them. Castlevania Symphony of the Night in good condition is still around £120 as its tough to get hold of.
I too was like you OP. PS2 games new were usually £29.99 after being out for a month. 'Blockbuster' or really popular new releases were £39.99 I remember my Brother getting Fifa Street 1 for that lol.
Reply 45
Games were much more expensive back in the day. 8-bit home computer tapes were in the £7.99 region for the Spectrum and C64. Amstrad and BBC games were normally about £10. The 16-bit games for Atari ST and Amiga tended to be around £19.99. Don't forget that this was in the 1980s.

PC games gravitated around the £40 for a long time, and the first 8-bit console games were very pricey. Nintendo NES games started off at £50 (again in the 1980s) and SEGA games ranged from £30-40 too. It wasn't until the 16-bit consoles came out and there were very large numbers of owners that the prices started to come down and a second hand market of any meaningful kind developed. Certainly, the good Megadrive games like EA Hockey and Desert Strike were in the £45 zone.

As others have said, carts were always more expensive (no surprise) and up to the N64, they were selling for big bucks.
I remember getting final fantasy 7 on ps1 for about £30/£40.. you look back now and think it's a waste because even though it's an amazing game, it does have rubbish graphics! lol
Well they are on PSN for £8 each at the moment.
I don't know but I remember paying £49.99 for Pokemon Stadium on N64 :awesome:

Also £30 for Pokemon Pinball on GB
Reply 49
I remember PGA Tour 98 costing my dad £30.

Although it was all about Die Hard Trilogy and FIFA: Road to World Cup '98. :yy:

Toy Story 2 the video game took the cake for me. I loved that sh*t. [Still do]
Reply 50
I bought most of my N64 games for £50
Reply 51
£5 for PS1 games, in the days when chipping a console and copying games on CD was about as easy making a samich.
Reply 52
Original post by hogso
£5 for PS1 games, in the days when chipping a console and copying games on CD was about as easy making a samich.

Exactly. I thought everyone had a chipped ps1..

Quick Reply

Latest