The Student Room Group

If I did push ups every day, what would happen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hawkesy_1
That isn't supersetting. Supersetting involves using different muscle groups.
Eg. Press Ups (Chest- Agonist muscle group) then do Rows (Back- Agonist Muscle Group). Just doing 1 or 2 press ups a day won't help very much. Try doing them on your knees first, then move to full press ups. This gradual progression will be more beneficial :smile:

Supersets don't have to use different muscle groups. It's just two different exercises repeated one after the other with no rest.
Reply 21
If you can't do one pushup on the floor start off in the push up position and just stay there as long as possible, doing a bit more everyday until you can do a pushup.

I did this technique with pull ups and I got from being able to do 0 to doing 10 :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Davsters
Supersets don't have to use different muscle groups. It's just two different exercises repeated one after the other with no rest.

Fair enough, emphasis on 2 exercises though. And they are most commonly done with 2 muscle groups, or 2 areas of a muscle group. Eg. Front and back delts.
Reply 23
Original post by hawkesy_1
Fair enough, emphasis on 2 exercises though. And they are most commonly done with 2 muscle groups, or 2 areas of a muscle group. Eg. Front and back delts.

can be more than 2.
Reply 24
Unless you start doing weighted clapping one arm push-ups at a 45 degree angle you are unlikely to get "big arms and pecs" from doing them.

They're a good endurance exercise though
Reply 25
Original post by sconter
can be more than 2.

Christ aha What I'm trying to emphasise is more than one.
Reply 26
Original post by SubAtomic
Basically a cheat push up, using knees:rolleyes: only for the weak and recovering from something really. A healthy lad/lass should never need to do these cheat push ups.

If soldiers are war ready doing all this mad exercise everyday then you would only be doing a fraction of what they do so you'll be fine.

Oh wow haha Does anyone ever use their knees on the ground to help them press up? I was thinking they would be something like when people cant do them properly (leave their bum in the air but press down with their chest).
Original post by Parente
Oh wow haha Does anyone ever use their knees on the ground to help them press up? I was thinking they would be something like when people cant do them properly (leave their bum in the air but press down with their chest).

I do, because I can't do more than a couple properly (yet). So I figure it's better doing as many as I can properly and then cheating a bit than just not bothered at all. When I was starting I moved my knees slightly each time to make it more difficult and I managed to get a couple in the correct form doing that.
Reply 28
I want to know this as well.
Original post by I have a question
My brother grew ridiculously massive, and all he does are push ups and pull ups. Fairly dramatic change.

I really doubt the push ups had much to do with his physical transformation. Or that he's ridiculously massive.

At the end of the day if you do lots of push ups, you get good at doing lots of push ups, if you're just doing regular ones anyway. I don't really know as I can't do handstands but I imagine handstand push ups are somewhat more beneficial in terms of muscle building, though if that's your goal you're obviously better off with weights.
Original post by Parente
Oh wow haha Does anyone ever use their knees on the ground to help them press up?

Yes, mostly girls:smile:

What Angel said is right, if someone cannot do one proper press-up for whatever reason then girl press-ups or negative press-ups are the only option if training alone, at least she knew to make it harder as she progressed, not a lot of people would do that.

Negative press-up, negative anything, start in rep finish position and then try to take as long as possible to get to the starting position in constant smooth motion, up to a minute. Had to do this with wide arm pull-ups because I couldn't get past 8 more often than not, so the last two reps were negative ones:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by concubine
I really doubt the push ups had much to do with his physical transformation. Or that he's ridiculously massive.

At the end of the day if you do lots of push ups, you get good at doing lots of push ups, if you're just doing regular ones anyway. I don't really know as I can't do handstands but I imagine handstand push ups are somewhat more beneficial in terms of muscle building, though if that's your goal you're obviously better off with weights.

Well doubt as much as you want, I am the one that has seen my brothers changes first hand, not you.

Plus, yeah you're right.
For those of you that can't do many, hundredpushups is your best friend. It helped get from 5 to 25 in just a few weeks. :biggrin:
Reply 33
This guy apparently only does push-ups/pull ups and other home workouts.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii633/Daui/?action=view&current=30-07-121.jpg
Original post by Runninground
So would it make my arms visible bigger? (I'm not talking huge arms, just a little bigger)

Unless you're so weak you can barely lift a teaspoon you won't see any gain in size. It's a endurance exercise, not mass building.
Original post by Regent
This guy apparently only does push-ups/pull ups and other home workouts.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii633/Daui/?action=view&current=30-07-121.jpg

For all I know that means he has his own personal gym.
Original post by pineapple_thorns
For those of you that can't do many, hundredpushups is your best friend. It helped get from 5 to 25 in just a few weeks. :biggrin:

Did it increase your strength much?
If you did press ups every day, you'd progressively get better at press ups. This would increase your muscular endurance, and to a lesser level your strength.

Press ups alone won't get you huge, but they will make you more defined in certain areas over time.

It's hard to give an simple, definitive answer though. For example - someone who is gifted/lucky genetically, has spot on nutrition and does 100 press ups a day three or four times a week is going to notice more gains, quicker than someone who is not so lucky with their genetics and eats poorly.

Personally, a variety of press ups are a staple of my training programme. My coach and I find this works for me and the fitness goals I have relating to my sport. IHMO press ups are a fantastic exercise, but if you're looking to get 'built', I'd join a gym and create a structured training programme involving free weights etc.
Original post by pineapple_thorns

Was just about to recommend this. :yep: I'm just starting, although I'm having to do the first couple of weeks on knee press-ups because I can't do more than 1 or 2 full ones. http://hundredpushups.com/

Also, to everyone who's saying 'it won't make you huge', what does make you huge if not that kind of thing? (complete noob alert)
Original post by Amwazicles
Was just about to recommend this. :yep: I'm just starting, although I'm having to do the first couple of weeks on knee press-ups because I can't do more than 1 or 2 full ones. http://hundredpushups.com/

Also, to everyone who's saying 'it won't make you huge', what does make you huge if not that kind of thing? (complete noob alert)

Weights in general.

My brother has never entered the gym or lifted weights before, and he's pretty well built. Just bodyweight exercises, makes sure to change things up if they get too easy though.

Quick Reply