The Student Room Group

Every student about to go on a TV/Film Production Course should listen to this

Hi if you are about to spend a lot of money on a TV/Film Production course you really should take a moment and listen to this BBC radio broadcast.

It's what they wont tell you on a uni open day - and is very insightful about future employment possibilities upon graduating. Just remember many are called - few are chosen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l7wqh

The basic thrust of it is this - whilst uni's will always tell you about the few successes on their courses (and of course there will always be some) they don't really fess up about how workers in the media are hired and the lack of a regular employment pattern once you are lucky enough to get in.

New research presented at the British Sociological Association's 2012 conference claimed that middle class people hoard job opportunities in the UK TV and film industry. In a pre- recorded interview from the conference, Professor Irena Grugulis, suggests to Laurie Taylor that working class people don't get these jobs because they don't have the right accents, clothes, backgrounds or friends. Indeed, it's hard to find an area of the economy where connections and contacts are more significant. But is this mainly due to structural changes in the industry rather than to class based prejudice? The media expert, Sir Peter Bazalgette and Professor of Sociology, Mike Savage, respond to this research and explore nepotism, networking and discrimination in the media world and beyond.

Remember you don't need a media degree to get into telly in the first place - in fact many companies prefer you to have a more intellectually rigorous qualification from a reputable uni rather than a former poly.

Do listen and consider it.
Lets be honest, unless you are a techy you shouldn't go into the media unless you're vain, you like the sound of your own voice and you think the whole thing is about you and not the news/information you are rpesenting.

In short, wannabe film stars. :lol:
Original post by georgemagee
Hi if you are about to spend a lot of money on a TV/Film Production course you really should take a moment and listen to this BBC radio broadcast.

It's what they wont tell you on a uni open day - and is very insightful about future employment possibilities upon graduating. Just remember many are called - few are chosen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l7wqh

The basic thrust of it is this - whilst uni's will always tell you about the few successes on their courses (and of course there will always be some) they don't really fess up about how workers in the media are hired and the lack of a regular employment pattern once you are lucky enough to get in.

New research presented at the British Sociological Association's 2012 conference claimed that middle class people hoard job opportunities in the UK TV and film industry. In a pre- recorded interview from the conference, Professor Irena Grugulis, suggests to Laurie Taylor that working class people don't get these jobs because they don't have the right accents, clothes, backgrounds or friends. Indeed, it's hard to find an area of the economy where connections and contacts are more significant. But is this mainly due to structural changes in the industry rather than to class based prejudice? The media expert, Sir Peter Bazalgette and Professor of Sociology, Mike Savage, respond to this research and explore nepotism, networking and discrimination in the media world and beyond.

Remember you don't need a media degree to get into telly in the first place - in fact many companies prefer you to have a more intellectually rigorous qualification from a reputable uni rather than a former poly.

Do listen and consider it.

Yaaay someone's said it! Everyone's been wanting to say this on TSR for a long long time but nobody dared bear the negs :tongue:
Reply 3
Listen to the interview at 12.27" for the value of studying tv/film production at Uni - remember this survey is based on a statistical analysis of professional media / TV workers.

It all begs the question why there are so many courses teaching some many students for so few jobs that are mostly casual and unsustainable.
lol thats just common sense, non vocational degree from low tier uni is more than worthless
I've kind of assumed that I won't get a job in this field, I know that it's unlikely. But it's not gonna stop me taking the course :P Everyone knows that when it comes to the media/film business, it's more than just what course and qualifications you get. It's who you know, not what you know.

Plus I'm fairly middle class with an overly posh voice so hey ho, maybe I'll be fine ;D
Reply 6
I'm impressed, great find!

Now for those into discovering non-mainstream film you'll love "The Fourth Dimension.

Watch it for 2 minutes and you'll want to watch it all.

Let me know what you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending