The Student Room Group

Shafilea Ahmed's parents found GUILTY of her killing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I can't be the only one wondering how you got this:

Original post by Perseveranze
Sleeping around with random boys, wearing immodest clothes etc. is going off the rails.

from this:

Spoiler

:lolwut:

^talk about desperation. She would've just ruined her life sleeping around with random people who would've probably abused her any ways. Hopefully, as you said, that she didn't fornicate.

So basically, you're making a massive assumption based on her talking to boys. Yes, that would inevitably have led to her ruining her life by whoring herself out to people that would have abused her.

Original post by Dee Leigh
To be honest, I believe that a major part of the problem is... people like you with the attitudes you have. Those kind of attitudes are never healthy for any family/community/culture.

Disgusting and disgraceful.

:yy:

Once people adopt an ideology/culture that conflicts with another ideology/culture in some parts, it almost becomes like a us vs them attitude. While the killing is no doubt despicable and unjustified, there will always be an argument from someone trying to make a case against that culture (in this case: actions leading to random and uncontrolled sex). It's an Islam vs rest of world attitude. Worst thing is: it doesn't need to be that way.
Wow. Just wow.

Being Westernised doesn't mean going off the rails.

Ugh, hopefully this will be the last post.

Some parts of western culture are ok, however other parts are not. And it's when you indulge in the "other parts" do you go off the rails. Drinking, smoking, gambling, sleeping with randomers, partying all night, wearing immodest clothes etc. You know how it is best.

Don't forget, a tragic muder has occured. That's what all this comes down to.

That is very shallow thinking that completely excludes the bigger picture. Murders happen all the time, it's nothing new. What needs to be looked at is why this murder happened in the first place, what was the cause, and how do we prevent something like this?

Because really, what's the point in obsessing over a murder when you can't pull yourself to look past it? It's clear, there's a cultural problem here, this is what it comes down to, not the actual murder. The murder is just a line of thousands thats happened in the past, and will happen again unless something is done about it. It's nothing to specifically be shocked about.

It's called dealing with the "root of the cause".

You know what. I guess you are right, let's just agree to disagree. You really don't get it anyway but my points in my previous posts all still stand.

I do get your point, but I don't think you get mine. You have this mentality to concentrate on things that have no relevance, simply appealing to emotion. You can't stand to think that the alleged victim in this could ever share even a shred of blame. You're just bent on the thought that the parents just randomly decided to abuse and kill their daughter, as if for fun. And due to this limitation in your thinking that you have, you will never understand my point.

You need to learn to be objective, otherwise you'll always keep repeating the same mistakes and never find a resolution.

To be honest, I believe that a major part of the problem is... people like you with the attitudes you have. Those kind of attitudes are never healthy for any family/community/culture.

Yeah, blame me :rolleyes:

Disgusting and disgraceful.

Your denial is, yes.

One more question though: if you had a sister and she was treated just like Shafilea and then murdered, then what would you do?

If she was abused and killed, then I would obviously feel that it was wrong, and tell the perpetrators that what they did was wrong based on religious grounds, and they need to serve their time for doing the crime. And that's it.

What would you do?

Original post by Time Tourist
I think you've given ample evidence as to what your instincts are and where your sympathies lie...

Towards solving the root problem.
(edited 11 years ago)

Some parts of western culture are ok, however other parts are not. And it's when you indulge in the "other parts" do you go off the rails. Drinking, smoking, gambling, sleeping with randomers, partying all night, wearing immodest clothes etc. You know how it is best.

Hopefully, yes.

Im sure too some parts of islamic culture are ok, but various are not, such as killing female members of your family becuase they act westernised.
Everytime he posts, I want to punch him in his stupid ****ing smug wee face. You all know who I mean.
Reply 124

That is very shallow thinking that completely excludes the bigger picture. Murders happen all the time, it's nothing new. What needs to be looked at is why this murder happened in the first place, what was the cause, and how do we prevent something like this?

Because really, what's the point in obsessing over a murder when you can't pull yourself to look past it? It's clear, there's a cultural problem here, this is what it comes down to, not the actual murder. The murder is just a line of thousands thats happened in the past, and will happen again unless something is done about it. It's nothing to specifically be shocked about.

I do get your point, but I don't think you get mine. You have this mentality to concentrate on things that have no relevance, simply appealing to emotion. You can't stand to think that the alleged victim in this could ever share even a shred of blame. You're just bent on the thought that the parents just randomly decided to abuse and kill their daughter, as if for fun. And due to this limitation in your thinking that you have, you will never understand my point.

You need to learn to be objective, otherwise you'll always keep repeating the same mistakes and never find a resolution.

Your denial is, yes.

If she was abused and killed, then I would obviously feel that it was wrong, and tell the perpetrators that what they did was wrong based on religious grounds, and they need to serve their time for doing the crime. And that's it.

What would you do?

It's good to be objective and look at a situation or crime from different angles without simply letting emotion override reason. However, what many are trying to say is that her behaviour did not justify her parents' actions. Furthermore, I don't think many agree with your definition of "off the rails".

Now I'm not saying you're objectively wrong but the line of reasoning you have taken can be applied to any situation or crime whatsoever. The blame can be spread out in a varied manner or even shifted to one side completely based on a person's personal morality. I understand you're trying to place some blame on the daughter down to her behaviour despite not holding her solely responsible. You must understand to many this appears to be an abhorrent viewpoint just as some views may seem unjustifiable to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Everytime he posts, I want to punch him in his stupid ****ing smug wee face. You all know who I mean.

Same here.
(edited 11 years ago)

Your denial is, yes.

What would you do?

Wow.

Okay you really don't get my points or what I have been saying throughout this thread.

You make the mistake of believing I have a shallow and emotive way of thinking when I don't and you say I'm in denial when I am not, I see things as they are. I'm not the one who is being shallow, emotive and in denial, YOU ARE.

And with the way people like you continue to think, there will never be a resolution within the community - people will continue to think that culture and parents are above the law and the 'blame the victim' approach will alway be applied.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 127

And was Shafia Ahmed doing these things?

If somebody does these things, do they deserve to be killed?

Your way of delivering your stance sounds depressingly similar to the way Zionists justify and defend Israel's crimes. Just thought you should be aware of this.

Ditto

Funny how you, of all people, are trying to lecture people on the need to be objective.

Someone needs to open there perspective a little. An individual can do whatever they want as long as its lawful.
Always disliked religion overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending