Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hungry all the time...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've not dramatically changed my eating habits as my diet has always been pretty healthy. However, lately I've been drinking a lot of water (used to only drink one can of coke a day as I never get thirsty) and started doing light exercise and I'm hungry all the time. I had a salad for lunch (woke up too late for breakfast) and some fruit. Two hours later I was starving so I had a sandwich with wholemeal bread about half an hour ago and I'm starving again. Not a 'I'm bored so I'm going to stuff my face' hunger, but my stomach feels empty and is rumbling.

Is this my metabolism speeding up? My body playing tricks on me? Should I eat something even though I've pretty much ate two lunches and a snack in the 4 hours I've been awake today.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you've has a salad and a sandwich. so so far you havent had 1 meal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are eating three really good meals a day then I bet you wouldn't be so hungry

e.g. 3-4 eggs + toast/porridge - breakfast
    two tins of tuna + salad + couscous - dinner
    decent sized piece of meat/chicken + potatoes + decent helping of fibrous veg.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you feel thirsty your already dehydrated, you should drink enough that you never feel thirsty.
    I think I eat more for breakfast than you do for your whole day :\
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    because you have hardly eaten anything.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    eat
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    are you peeing a lot too? are you losing weight? If you answered yes to either of these questions, I would see your GP, could be diabetes.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always feel hungry after two hours. I have a really fast metabolism though. A salad never fills me, so no wonder you were still hungry :L

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    you've has a salad and a sandwich. so so far you havent had 1 meal.

(Original post by Mark85)
    If you are eating three really good meals a day then I bet you wouldn't be so hungry

e.g. 3-4 eggs + toast/porridge - breakfast
    two tins of tuna + salad + couscous - dinner
    decent sized piece of meat/chicken + potatoes + decent helping of fibrous veg.

(Original post by stayce88)
    If you feel thirsty your already dehydrated, you should drink enough that you never feel thirsty.
    I think I eat more for breakfast than you do for your whole day :\

(Original post by Podcaster)
    because you have hardly eaten anything.....
    But my calorie goal with a 500 calorie deficit is 1200.
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    are you peeing a lot too? are you losing weight? If you answered yes to either of these questions, I would see your GP, could be diabetes.
    I do pee a lot and I'm losing weight because of changes in my diet and exercise. I'm never thirsty though and I've always thought the sign of diabetes was an unquenchable thirst.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkliest)

I do pee a lot and I'm losing weight because of changes in my diet and exercise. I'm never thirsty though and I've always thought the sign of diabetes was an unquenchable thirst.
    Well if you're on a diet naturally you're gonna feel hungry. Think of it as two slider controls. If you are hungry but want to still lose weight move the 'food' slider up and the ' exercise' slider up.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weren't you the one that posted a pic of your bum because you thought it was too big? You looked fine in that picture... :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even still, the same principle applies - lean meats/fish and fibrous foods have an insanely high satiety to macronutrition ratio. That is why you get so many young guys wanting to bulk up eating good foods saying they struggle to get the calories they need down their necks.

Try eating two whole tins of tuna and a dinner plate of steamed brocolli and you will see what I mean. You will only be looking at 400 cals or so.

How about two grilled chicken breasts, a wholemeal pitta, a mound of chopped cabbage with tomato, lemon juice, salad and chilli... only about 600 cals or so. I often have that one and am just stuffed to the gills.

Another couple of relevant points

1) 1200 calories does sound pretty low. 500 cals below total maintenance is just a guide and isn't gospel. A percentage based approach probably makes more sense anyway. Are you sure you have done the maths right? Did you factor in activity allowance (even if you are sedentary - BMR is basically what you would use sleeping). You could try a little higher and see if it helps.

2) You mention a drastic change in your diet - this is never good and is obviously why you notice a profound difference. You could wait a while and see if you get used to it or you could just more sensibly taper down (or up depending on goal) the amount of calories you take gradually. This is what I did when getting into healthier eating and cutting calories and I barely noticed a difference. In fact, because I am generally eating 'good foods' I feel stuffed eating 1800 calories a day and I weigh nearly 80kg.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You woke up too late for breakfast so you ate just a salad and some fruit? I didn't know breakfast had a set time, usually it's the first meal i have after i wake up. Did you really think a salad is going to make your hunger go away? eating a piece of paper is more filling.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    Did you really think a salad is going to make your hunger go away?
    I think it can if you are doing it right. When people make salad, they often just rip off a few leaves; if I am making a meal of it, I chop up a whole head of Romaine (one of my favourite leaves).

Interesting fact - A whole Romaine has something like 7-8 grams of protein and is a complete protein source. It is also pretty rich in micronutrients including essential fats.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    Weren't you the one that posted a pic of your bum because you thought it was too big? You looked fine in that picture... :/
    Yeah that was me haha.

(Original post by Mark85)
    Even still, the same principle applies - lean meats/fish and fibrous foods have an insanely high satiety to macronutrition ratio. That is why you get so many young guys wanting to bulk up eating good foods saying they struggle to get the calories they need down their necks.

Try eating two whole tins of tuna and a dinner plate of steamed brocolli and you will see what I mean. You will only be looking at 400 cals or so.

How about two grilled chicken breasts, a wholemeal pitta, a mound of chopped cabbage with tomato, lemon juice, salad and chilli... only about 600 cals or so. I often have that one and am just stuffed to the gills.

Another couple of relevant points

1) 1200 calories does sound pretty low. 500 cals below total maintenance is just a guide and isn't gospel. A percentage based approach probably makes more sense anyway. Are you sure you have done the maths right? Did you factor in activity allowance (even if you are sedentary - BMR is basically what you would use sleeping). You could try a little higher and see if it helps.

2) You mention a drastic change in your diet - this is never good and is obviously why you notice a profound difference. You could wait a while and see if you get used to it or you could just more sensibly taper down (or up depending on goal) the amount of calories you take gradually. This is what I did when getting into healthier eating and cutting calories and I barely noticed a difference. In fact, because I am generally eating 'good foods' I feel stuffed eating 1800 calories a day and I weigh nearly 80kg.
    Thank you so much. I added chicken breast to my lunch and it was much more filling. For the BMR I used an online calculator and it factored in workouts too and it gave me 1200 if I wanted to lose 1-2lbs a week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've been drinking lots of water, your stomach capacity will have increased.
    I think having an emptier stomach will make you hungrier (although i'm not actually certain, so don't quote me), so that could be it.

1200 calories sounds reasonable, assuming you're a girl of about average height. Make sure you're hydrated, getting all your micronutrients etc
    Do some research about particularly satiating food.

Beyond that, i think you'll just have to deal with the hunger.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.