Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desktop vs Laptop

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am going to university in September and am just debating as to what computer I will use when I'm down there.

I don't know whether to take my beloved HP desktop computer (20" screen, nice speakers, with all my stuff on it *backed up obviously*) or to buy a new laptop.

I love my desktop and would miss it if I left it at home but then I know it would be safe and could use it when I go home and it is a pain to move about.

Buying a laptop comes at a cost and also I'm not used to a small screen.

What would be your advice and if you could recommend any laptops which would they be?

Thanks

Rachel
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RacheyTV)
    Hi everyone

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am going to university in September and am just debating as to what computer I will use when I'm down there.

I don't know whether to take my beloved HP desktop computer (20" screen, nice speakers, with all my stuff on it *backed up obviously*) or to buy a new laptop.

I love my desktop and would miss it if I left it at home but then I know it would be safe and could use it when I go home and it is a pain to move about.

What would be your advice and if you could recommend any laptops which would they be?

Thanks

Rachel
    Well that's the main issue portability of the desktop, they are better on spec and price, it would also be kind of costly to transfer your desktop constantly and when your at home you won't have a desktop for use.

Laptop is a plus at uni, especially for group work and when it comes to studying in groups during exam period.
    Though in lectures would be very distracting.

If your just doing all the basics, http://www.ebuyer.com/351922-lenovo-b570-laptop-n2f25uk £329
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptop definitely, but then again it depends on what you will be using it for.

Laptop = Portability
    Computer = Powerful, Easy to upgrade
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd take the desktop and a laptop if possible. I'd rather use the desktop, but having the laptop too for portability would be perfect.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take the desktop to use in your room. As for a portable device a laptop can be used but it is a bit costly. Instead you should get a netbook. You can take the lighter and cheaper netbook around campus and if an essay needs typing then you can go to your room and work on the desktop.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Thanks

Rachel
    Ask yourself - how would you transport your desktop home? Essentially the tower and the screen.
    If you can manage it fine then by all means go for a desktop. A nice big screen can double up as a TV and DVD player in your room, desktops are more powerful, and you can gradually upgrade it if needs be rather than buying another computer every couple of years.

If you think you're going to need to take your laptop around (to lectures, classes, to the library, cafe etc.) then definitely get one. I think you'll probably want that portability as you won't spend all your time in your room. I reckon you'll probably buy a laptop anyway for the portability at uni, in which case you can either take your desktop with you, or just take your monitor with you and that way you can use your laptop with the big screen (and still have a TV/DVD combo ).
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the brill advice guys =P I do love my desktop but it's the portability problem.

Went into PC world and looked at Macbook Pro's....extremely expensive but the guy said 'you won't buy another laptop if you get one of these' and raved about them.

£1000 for a tiny 13" screen and the apple logo. Is it worth it?

Should I take my desktop to begin with and then eventually buy the laptop?

As for laptop specs can you recommend the best for

Memory
    Hardrive
    Processor
    Screen Size
    Brand
    Battery Life

?

Cheers xxxx
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the brill advice guys =P I do love my desktop but it's the portability problem.

Went into PC world and looked at Macbook Pro's....extremely expensive but the guy said 'you won't buy another laptop if you get one of these' and raved about them.

Memory
    Hardrive
    Processor
    Screen Size
    Brand
    Battery Life

?

Cheers xxxx
    Firstly you shouldn't listen to them, they are in most cases clueless about technology and are after the sales.

What are you going to use your laptop for?
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Thanks

Rachel
    It really depends on your course, whether you'll be working outside of your room, whether you like revising in the library etc? Laptops are only better from a quality of life perspective, never really from a hardware / power perspective.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Firstly you shouldn't listen to them, they are in most cases clueless about technology and are after the sales.

What are you going to use your laptop for?
    That's what I thought

Ok the main things I will use it for are:

Browsing the internet
    Writing Essays
    Watching DVDS
    Photo Editing
    Playing Games (like sims)
    Listening to music
    Storing music/documents/pictures
    *maybe video editing*
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:

Memory
    Hardrive
    Processor
    Screen Size
    Brand
    Battery Life

?

Cheers xxxx
    Don't buy a Mac, they're all 'hip' on campus, but I honestly think around half of all mac users merely got them for the brand. Biggest issue is that any work you do on your laptop will simply not be compatible with any Microsoft products installed on university computers, and they'll ALL be using windows. For example, word processing, you'd have to do it entirely on your laptop or entirely on library PCs, unless you use some Adobe product.. Plus gaming is still far more restrictive on Macs than on PCs, not as bad as it was, but still a ballache when you find out something's offlimits

Value for money is awful, for £850 I got a top-of-the-range laptop with a 17'' screen, Macs probably don't even dip into triple digits... :lol:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at Novatech for a machine.

They are better specced then 95% of people will need for the next 5 years.

Personally ive never had to get a laptop out on my lap, Ive always had a table. I would have no issues with a 16" or so laptop.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Don't buy a Mac, they're all 'hip' on campus, but I honestly think around half of all mac users merely got them for the brand. Biggest issue is that any work you do on your laptop will simply not be compatible with any Microsoft products installed on university computers, and they'll ALL be using windows. For example, word processing, you'd have to do it entirely on your laptop or entirely on library PCs, unless you use some Adobe product.. Plus gaming is still far more restrictive on Macs than on PCs, not as bad as it was, but still a ballache when you find out something's offlimits

Value for money is awful, for £850 I got a top-of-the-range laptop with a 17'' screen, Macs probably don't even dip into triple digits... :lol:
    yeah I did worry about compatibility! xxx What make is your laptop? x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm Sorry, but that's rubbish! I've had macs for years and I've had no issues with opening and editing documents either on microsoft office for mac, or using pages (apples equivalent), I've transferred between pc at school and mac at home with no issues.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought

Ok the main things I will use it for are:

Browsing the internet
    Writing Essays
    Watching DVDS
    Photo Editing
    Playing Games (like sims)
    Listening to music
    Storing music/documents/pictures
    *maybe video editing*
    how much editing?
    sims is fine, anything more graphic intense?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    how much editing?
    sims is fine, anything more graphic intense?
    I don't know. Actually ignore editing I won't even be buying final cut as I can't afford it xD

Not really I don't play computer games....possibly might run photoshop but not likely
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah I did worry about compatibility! xxx What make is your laptop? x
    Toshiba Satellite, I wouldn't recommend though, they get pretty hot (though that might've just been my specific model) and the shiny black finish means you get icky fingerprints EVERYWHERE
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1805)
    I'm Sorry, but that's rubbish! I've had macs for years and I've had no issues with opening and editing documents either on microsoft office for mac, or using pages (apples equivalent), I've transferred between pc at school and mac at home with no issues.
    Huh never knew that, my friend at university nearly failed her first project because her laptop broke and she couldn't open any of her files from her usb drive onto the uni computers.. maybe she had an old model.

But you can't deny that macs are more restrictive than PCs... For heaven's sake Apple created Boot Camp so that Macs could run windows-only programs, I don't see Windows bending over backwards to provide the same compatibility in the opposite direction.. because they don't need to
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toshiba Satellite, I wouldn't recommend though, they get pretty hot (though that might've just been my specific model) and the shiny black finish means you get icky fingerprints EVERYWHERE
    My brother has the same one...it overheated and....died. Was too hot to touch the mousepad =S
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a Mac, I didn't buy it (thank-god) I got it through DSA because I'm dyslexia, I studying Graphic Design so its so much better for Adobe but I've had it since April an had more trouble with it overheating, crashing, turning off unexpectedly then I did with my laptop I had for the 18 months previously.
    Really not worth the money, I know i would never of got it if it had been with my own money.

Windows all the way!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.