The Student Room Group

Is being a nerd attractive?

This is open to both genders, would you date someone who is bit nerdy?

I was thinking even though I don't look like a typical nerd I do have a lot of nerdy interests such as movies, video games, literature, so on. which i'll never change. People seem to quite surprised by my interests, expected me to be a stereotype into football and that which i'm not.

I personally think being a bit of nerd can be quite attractive having a interest that isn't involved around yourself like working out, make up etc.

Scroll to see replies

Well I wouldn't say that I look for someone who is nerdy, but then it wouldnt put me off somebody either, it's just part of their personality really

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Im a giant nerd my boyfriends just use to me sitting reading Bronte or Dickens in the corner while him and his friends play drinking games,and get ready to go clubbing he just thinks im wierd and a bit eccentric but its never caused issues in realtinships they just think im a bit of an oddball!
Reply 3
This is a good question. being a geek myself im attracted to geeky girls/guys mainly because they can keep up with me when i rant about geeky stuff.
I am a little bit of a nerd myself. When ever i tell people that I am doing a degree in ICT they are a bit taken back. There is nothing wrong with being a bit of nerd as long as you have a good personality. I think its attractive to be a bit nerdy.
Absolutely! Yet to find a nice boy who will embrace my Royal history/ physics/ art fascinations. I (almost) have a PhD but when dating I usually feel too embarrassed to talk about what really interests me or what I do for a living. I think it puts guys off :dontknow:. There are certain stereotypes that come with being geeky.
Yeh as long as it's not anything to do with manga.
Original post by suffocation1992
Yeh as long as it's not <i>anything</i> to do with manga.

Aw..what's wrong with manga? :frown:
inb4 someone who thinks wearing glasses with no lenses, using Apple products, and proudly expressing "I'm such a nerd!", is the definition of a nerd.
Original post by Rosa Arabelle
Aw..what's wrong with manga? :frown:

It's sad.
I bloody well hope so. I'm screwed if not.
Original post by suffocation1992
It's sad.

Brilliant reason.
Reply 12
YES! I actually really like nerds. It shows they actually care about something if they are a little geeky.
(edited 11 years ago)
no.
Reply 14
There are alot of nerds out there who are condescending *****. So no, being a nerd on it's own is not enough to be attractive imo.
Reply 15
Original post by Dark Horse
There are alot of nerds out there who are condescending *****. So no, being a nerd on it's own is not enough to be attractive imo.

It seems a bit condescending to me to label others 'nerds'.

OP, what are we referring to as your idea of 'nerdy'? Are we talking high intelligence, interesting in reading, somewhat introvert and shy? These are typical traits of the alleged stereotype, but all which i'd class as a preference when looking for a girl. I like a well educated girl (heck, smarter than me is even better, I love expanding horizons and learning from those I care of around me) and I am a sucker for the quiter, shy girl. If this sort of thing is 'nerdy', then get me a nerd.
Reply 16
Mangas are awesome! :bban:
Reply 17
Do you really think you're gonna get an objective answer to this here mate? Remember where you are. On an internet forum.
Reply 18
Original post by Schmucks
It seems a bit condescending to me to label others 'nerds'.

OP, what are we referring to as your idea of 'nerdy'? Are we talking high intelligence, interesting in reading, somewhat introvert and shy? These are typical traits of the alleged stereotype, but all which i'd class as a preference when looking for a girl. I like a well educated girl (heck, smarter than me is even better, I love expanding horizons and learning from those I care of around me) and I am a sucker for the quiter, shy girl. If this sort of thing is 'nerdy', then get me a nerd.

Tbh I don't agree. People judge and label others all the time without even realizing it. If anything, it's necessary. How else would you know who to befriend and who to avoid?
Reply 19
Original post by Dark Horse
Tbh I don't agree. People judge and label others all the time without even realizing it. If anything, it's necessary. How else would you know who to befriend and who to avoid?

By judging them on their own personality rather than writing people off immediately through simple stereotypes. Why, is it a problem to befriend people from certain 'stereotypes'? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending