Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good classic romance books?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, I'm really into classic romance novels at the moment and I need some new ones. My favourites are Anne Bronte's 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' and Austen's 'Emma'. Thanks in advance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well i've never been able to beat Pride and Prejudice.

Although 'North and South' is really good, and the film is great too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    50 Shades Of Grey

Nah, even I can't take that seriously
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nawww yeah I love Pride and Prejudice <3 Although Darcy's aunt is one of my hated characters in the universe!

Oh yeah, I forgot North and South! I love the film adaptation, so I'll definitely read that. Cheers

So glad 50 Shades of Grey turned out to be a joke :')
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i generally just check out the 'classic romance' section of waterstones, and then go and find them in the library/ebay/amazon!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Jane Austen (Persuasion is a personal favourite), the Brontes (try Villette by Charlotte Bronte, and Jane Eyre if you haven't read it before) and Elizabeth Gaskell (I second North and South, but I also love Wives and Daughters). Oh, and you should definitely read A Room With A View by E. M. Forster, and the film of it is really good too.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gone With The Wind. It was written in the 1930s but set in the 1860s. I suppose it's romance, though the book does focus less on the romance than the movie adaptation (couldn't get enough of Clark Gable, I guess )

It's still a good read, regardless
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Gone With the Wind is one of my favourite things ever <3 And *high five* because Clark Gable is gorgeous!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    He has that bemused 'Bitch, please' kind of expression going on here:

:love:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend 'Like Water for Chocolate' by Laura Esquivel - I'm not usually into romance, but this book is one of the best I've ever read! It employs magic realism so it's a bit different from classics like 'Emma' but it's really enjoyable
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suggest Wilkie Collins - The Woman in White and The Moonstone; and Anthony Trollope - Can You Forgive Her?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecrimsonidol)
    50 Shades Of Grey
    Lmao. Seriously, I saw this thread topic and thought about putting the exact same reply. Beat me to it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    50 Shades Of Grey

Nah, even I can't take that seriously
    Hahahaha! I think I make up a minority of females who have absolutely no interest in that book.

I haven't read it, a lot of my freinds have - one of the best things I've heard is that the main male character likes to "abuse women who look like his dead crack-whore mother." :curious:

Aw, and they say romance is dead eh? :u:

But in all seriousness....Pride and Prejudice is apparently brilliant - someone I know has read it 30 times. :rolleyes:
    I will get round to reading it one day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenPhilippa)
    Hahahaha! I think I make up a minority of females who have absolutely no interest in that book.

I haven't read it, a lot of my freinds have - one of the best things I've heard is that the main male character likes to "abuse women who look like his dead crack-whore mother." :curious:

I've heard similar things. I just remember a few weeks ago when my dad and stepmum came up for my graduation, I went to visit them in their hotel the night beforehand and she was reading it. Not a pleasant thought....
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a twisted way - Wuthering Heights. It's a good love story... as well as revege, Gothic horror... um, yeah. Jane Eyre is also good, and as many others have said, you can't beat Pride and Prejudice.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who replied!

And hehe, 'Lady Chatterly's Lover'- I was just like 'whoa' when I read that; I didn't expect it to be so rude! I'm sure he only wrote it to cause controversy :') It's a million time better than 50 Shades!

Anyway, I went to Waterstones today and got a few new books.

So yeah, I bought:

North and South
    The Woman in White
    and this random one called 'Evelina' by Frances Burney that I've never heard of. Sounded decent on the synopsis though.

Again, thanks all!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    War and Peace

I love Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility... everything by Jane Austen!
    Just read everything by her, you won't regret it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bah! Pride and Prejudice is over-rated.

Sense and Sensibility is MUCH better.

<3 x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard similar things. I just remember a few weeks ago when my dad and stepmum came up for my graduation, I went to visit them in their hotel the night beforehand and she was reading it. Not a pleasant thought....
    Oh I can beat you on that! Went round to my friends house the other week, on the odd occasion of sunny weather we have here in Leeds, she had a BBQ.

She also invited family members. I walked into the kitchen to hear her GRANDMA stating she "can't decide which of the 3 books is her favourite". :eek:

I swiftly walked out. :creep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.