The Student Room Group

Do bedrooms at university have locks on them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just put a doorstop on the inside of the door when youre inside, and I'm sure you can buy detachable/temporary locks too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Smack
No, the main advantage is that people can't walk in on you masturbating.

No one in the history of anything, has ever been more correct than you are in this statement sir.
Legally a landlord cannot stop you fitting locks, or changing locks (you would have to abide by any laws for the property still) - you would just be liable for the cost of returning it to how it was (putting the original locks back and fixing damage caused by doing this etc) so it is a last resort. The landlord has no legal right to even hold the keys to the house during your tenancy, so you can change those locks and there is nothing they can do. All this is more of a technicality though as it is impractical to do this and hold a decent relationship with the landlord, and most will probably try and cause hell for you if you did it. But it is perfectly legal.
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Depends on the house. If it's a HMO (e.g. separate contracts for each bedroom) then they will definitely have locks. If you're renting the entire house (e.g. joint tenancy) they might not, it's up to the landlord.

in this case its not up to the landlord they are not allowed its a fire hazard. well fire hazard on the inside of the door anyway
Original post by kopite493
in this case its not up to the landlord they are not allowed its a fire hazard. well fire hazard on the inside of the door anyway

Its not a fire hazzard to have certain locks on, just normal ones that would require you to have to get you key from the inside. Instead there are simple alternatives that are perfectly legal (as you will see in pretty much all student halls that have the exact same fire hazzard laws to comply with) so there is no excuse to not have a lock.
Original post by kopite493

I've seen quite a few student houses (not HMOs) where the bedroom doors have locks on the interior.
Hope no one is still having this problem - like I did last year at university!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I found a product online that has completely solved me and my house mates problems. DM me and i'll give you the website because my posts seem to be getting deleted if i post the website on here

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending