The Student Room Group

Getting ears pinned back?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by physicshelpme
Ok so for as long as I can remember my ears have stuck out a lot more than I would like which has affected my confidence greatly. Today I got a haircut and realized it was so short that it kind of exaggerated my ears. I've been thinking about it ever since and even decided not to go out tonight because of it.

So I decided to look up surgery that would 'pin back' my ears and I found 'otoplasty'. It looks fairly quick (1 week recovery time) and I do not care about the pain that would come with it. I've also heard that you can get it done on the NHS for free if it is causing psychological pain however if I can't get it done on the NHS I have no problem with getting a job and saving up.

The only problems I have is that I don't know how to tell my parents about it as I have never spoke about anything like this before. I think it will be really embarrassing and I'm not sure how they react.

So my questions to you are 1/ how should I go about telling my parents? 2/ How would I go about arranging the actual surgery?

Thank you and sorry for the long post

I doubt the NHS would cover that as they would deem it to be 'cosmetic.' Yuo would prob have to save up for that. Just tell your parents you're not happy with them, its your money, you can do what you want. If you're a girl, you can get away with weird ears by covering them with your hair. But at the end of the day, they're ears, they don't harm your well being but the choice is yourss
Original post by mangoh
do you have a scar?

Yeah but you can't see them. Even if you could I wouldn't care. What's a scar compared to a serious ear injury? I wouldn't even be bothered if I had a scar on my face, it's just a line :confused:
The NHS will only perform cosmetic surgery if it is causing you psychological distress or you can prove you are being bullied quite severely for it. Chances are you'll have to go private, which can cost around £3000-5000.
Reply 23
Ok so for as long as I can remember my ears have stuck out a lot more than I would like which has affected my confidence greatly. Today I got a haircut and realized it was so short that it kind of exaggerated my ears. I've been thinking about it ever since and even decided not to go out tonight because of it.

So I decided to look up surgery that would 'pin back' my ears and I found 'otoplasty'. It looks fairly quick (1 week recovery time) and I do not care about the pain that would come with it. I've also heard that you can get it done on the NHS for free if it is causing psychological pain however if I can't get it done on the NHS I have no problem with getting a job and saving up.

The only problems I have is that I don't know how to tell my parents about it as I have never spoke about anything like this before. I think it will be really embarrassing and I'm not sure how they react.

So my questions to you are 1/ how should I go about telling my parents? 2/ How would I go about arranging the actual surgery?

I had it done. It wasn't sore but the bandage was a pain in the arse, you wont be able to stop trying to poke you're finger through it to itch your head for a week.

If everything else is in good order, nobody will notice/care about the extent to which your ears jut out. :tongue: Gosh, people do genuinely worry about anything!
Reply 25
I got them done when I was 17, best decision of my life. I even looked up a thread or two on this issue on this very forum at the time, and the best thing I read was a guy that said 'I feel like they're stopping me from saying going up to a girl in a club/bar, etc'. I'd hated my ears for a long while, from say year 7 and I wish I'd done them sooner. Got them done on the NHS for free (under 18, no idea if that still applies). It gave me a massive confidence boost afterwards, i don't notice them anymore and I feel in general like much more attractive. It's funny how something which to many people isn't a big deal at all, can spiral and make you feel bad at times.

They were quite sore for a few months afterwards if I knocked them, but it's well worth it. PM if you want any further details, although this is my first post in like 3 years so I may well forgot about this again.
Reply 26
I think changing the way the Almighty created your ear is not recommended. Also, you're still young so your mind might change and later you'll regret if you do so wait till your really sure.
Reply 27
my grandpa had this done when he was about 12, way back in 1948 or something. I never really found out if it was his decision or his parents' though. anyway, the operation leaves a kind of dent behind your ears, but it's not really noticable. just get used to setting off the alarm every time you go through airport security, unless they've changed the procedure and no longer use metal.

My brother had it done and it was both effective and painless. Would really recommend it if your ears bother you.

1/Just explain that its important to you and that you'd prefer their support in the matter
2/Just speak to your GP. They'll arrange surgery at a hospital
Original post by homestud
I think changing the way the Almighty created your ear is not recommended. Also, you're still young so your mind might change and later you'll regret if you do so wait till your really sure.

I kinda agree with this. I had to have it done though, combination of sticky outy ears + cauliflower ear = I looked like a rugby player lol. The worst thing was it was caused by a doctor's negligence, kept prescribing me antibiotics even though by the 3rd or 4th course I was sat in her office saying this needs to be drained it is not an infection it is cauliflower ear: "No, it's an infection." :rolleyes:

Changed doctors and the new doctor agreed with me but by then it was too late, the fluid had calcified, massive amounts of scar tissue thus needed an otoplasty on top of removing scar tissue. I didn't mind my sticky outy ears though, used to get called Dumbo as a child but it didn't bother me.

OP make sure you're sure cos the bandages will drive you mad and if you sleep on your side it will affect the healing process.
Original post by mangoh
but surely once it is healed.

It was worth it?

For me, yes. But I wouldn't have surgery because my ears stick out unless it really bothered me, which it didn't.
Reply 31
I have quite big ears that stick out and as my hair is really thin, when I had it long my ears stuck through. It did bother me when I was young when my hair was long, but now I have my hair short and I am really happy about how my ears look with my current hairstyle. If I hold my ears back where 'normal' people have them, I don't look like me anymore. Its part of me and I quite like them now :smile:
Original post by mangoh
hmm I'm really considering it though the operation.

What's the reason and how old are you?
OP - Can we see a picture?
Reply 34
You shouldn't have to change what you look like to suit other people

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
My ears stick out too so I know where you're coming from! I've always worn my hair down after getting a 'dumbo' comment from some kid in year 7...so that kind of knocked my confidence. I'm 19 now and have actually worn my hair up a couple of times as my confidence is beginning to come back.

I actually asked my GP about this and, not sure if it was because I was eighteen at the time, but he said that I would have to go private to have my ears pinned back which sucks! Although I am gaining more confidence now I think that I will definitely get them pinned back at some stage of my life because I hate them :| When I asked the doctor, I did tell my mum and she laughed and said that I was being silly so understand why you're reluctant to tell them. But just tell them straight and if they do disregard you, sit them down and tell them how it honestly makes you feel.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 36
Thought I'd upload a photo, the short hair does make me look like a boy but the bits of hair in front of the ears helps to make them look less sticky-outy. I hated tying my hair back and I still don't like not having any hair in front of my ears

zz.png

(I cut my own hair so I can get it exactly how I want it)
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm tempted to get otoplasty too...
But i'm scared of the whole surgery thing and the possible risks like them making a mess of ears.
Also, do your ears permanently remain rigid and delicate after the operation, or after like a few years can you bend them and are they flexible like normal ears?
Original post by Solid.Snake
I'm tempted to get otoplasty too...
But i'm scared of the whole surgery thing and the possible risks like them making a mess of ears.
Also, do your ears permanently remain rigid and delicate after the operation, or after like a few years can you bend them and are they flexible like normal ears?

Hi,

The risks are minimal, it's a simple procedure. Mine are rigid, if I were to bend my ears there's a good chance I'd cause trauma and damage the cartilege which would mean fluid that needs to be drained again but yours won't be like that.

I can move them about but I wouldn't bend them in half. There's nothing to be scared of in terms of surgery. The worst part for me was the anaesthetic.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Hi,

The risks are minimal, it's a simple procedure. Mine are rigid, if I were to bend my ears there's a good chance I'd cause trauma and damage the cartilege which would mean fluid that needs to be drained again but yours won't be like that.

I can move them about but I wouldn't bend them in half. There's nothing to be scared of in terms of surgery. The worst part for me was the anaesthetic.

Quick Reply

Latest