The Student Room Group

Why is it okay to discriminate on the basis of intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

I really don't understand the point being made. Certain jobs require intelligent people: I don't want a slow teacher say. Nor do I ever want a dim lawyer. I'd hate to have a thick doctor
Reply 21
The word discriminate has lost a lot of its meaning. It means to look at several things and note how they are different and treat them differently based on these differences (more or less). It's not a bad thing in most cases.

More OT, you discriminate based on what is most suitable for a task. If being more intelligent makes you more suitable for a certain job, go ahead and discriminate based on intelligence.

An example, when finding a model for an advert it's perfectly acceptable to discriminate based on gender and appearance.
I think what we need to distinguish the difference between stupidity and ignorance. Should we look down on ignorance? Not at all. Being ignorant simply means that you are uninformed or unaware of certain information. Like, you can't blame someone of being stupid if they haven't had an education. However, should we look down on stupidity? Perhaps we should. Being stupid means that you do have the available information to make informed decisions, yet you still refuse to see sense. Maybe there isn't an excuse for stupidity if you have been well informed, have all the available information needed to make a rational decision, yet you still choose not to.

There are also different definitions of discrimination. You can't shout discrimination if (as I believe someone stated earlier) you choose a professor who is presumably more intelligent. If anything, it's insulting to call the professor who wasn't chosen stupid. On the contrary, he is probably a very intelligent person, just not suitable for the job. That's not discrimination. What WOULD be discrimination would be choosing not to hire the better qualified professor.

You also can't call it discrimination when, say, a university chooses to pick the best candidates for it's courses. After all, would you really want someone who failed uni to be your doctor? In that sense, selection based on intelligence is essential.
I think only chavs dismiss intelligence as a trait.

Yeah, a trait that can make somebody successful, solve problems, is probably our defining trait compared to all other life forms, and has created human life as we know it is so esoteric lol... Anybody who "hates" intelligence shouldn't use an Android or iPhone. It took intelligence to conceive of one, and Steve Jobs was hardly a dullard. lol....
Original post by Kibalchich
No one can really define what intelligence means, for a start. There is now lots of evidence that emotions and intelligence are linked, for example, and it is pretty well established that the way we manage our emotions is a product of upbringing and attachment. There are many studies showing that the ability to manage emotions and to think are linked and also linked to social factors.

People say this, but surely as we evolved intelligence was about problem-solving and conceptualisation. Academia is a culturally-based definition IMO. There were no schools/universities 10,000 years ago, so it doesn't mean people in Neolithic times couldn't be intelligent.
It's context dependent but in theory there should be no basis for someone's intelligence or lack of it to be discriminated. If its genetics that cause intelligence, then when you insult a dumb person you are basically having a go a their DNA code and that's ridiculous and leaves you vulnerable to that person insulting even the slightest negative effect your DNA had had on you. If its environment than again it's not the individuals fault but is instead the fault of the adults responsible for ensuring that the environment for the person is conducive to learning. Infact, it may not even be their fault as the economic and social conditions present in a place ensure that access to supposed neccesities of intelligence increasing is limited if not impossible to get.

Why are people so quick to cite luck as the reason behind a lot of people's wealth and apparent intelligence but then fail to do the same for when someone is poor and not as intelligent? It works both ways and if the conditions in Oxford allow for young Donald to become rich, possibly through his Dad, then it's acceptable to assume that it's the conditions in Peckham which allow for young Marvin to become, or remain, poor and not anything to do with race or any other ridiculous notion and it's for this reason that people who criticise someone's intelligence have failed to realise this obvious truth; no one becomes dumb by choice
Original post by thomaskurian89
Apparently, discrimination on the basis of physical features like skin colour, height and attractiveness is frowned upon but it is okay to discriminate on the basis of intelligence. Why is that, given that physical features and intelligence are both genetically predetermined?

Bull****. Everybody has the capability to learn and increase their knowledge, skills and intelligence in one form or another, why do think we have schools and universities? However if some people cant be bothered to put the effort in to improve themselves and willfully remain ignorant throughout their lives, then frankly i dont see why they deserve any respect.
Original post by miser
I don't think it is ok to discriminate against people based on intelligence, except of course when it comes to aptitude. Intelligence is of course determined by an interplay between nature and nurture, and as such is not the result of free decision by the individual. Some people get angry at people for being stupid, or even actively dislike them, when of course who would want to be stupid? Only a stupid person, after all, would not see the value of intelligence.

Not all discrimination is harmful discrimation though - it's perfectly acceptable to discriminate against black people when casting for a white person's role for a historical TV production. In the same way it is fine to discriminate against a non-intelligent person for a job role which requires a certain level of intelligence. Intelligence affects candidacy, and so therefore is appropriate to be considered as a criterion to base a judgement of selection.

Just as it would be perfectly alright to discriminate against a white person for a black and asian casted role because of cultural and historical factors :rolleyes:

Oh wait this did not happen:
Dragonball Evolution
The black girl received racial abuse in the Hunger games film......

This rule is clearly one way :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by hannah60000
Just as it would be perfectly alright to discriminate against a white person for a black and asian casted role because of cultural and historical factors :rolleyes:

Oh wait this did not happen:
Dragonball Evolution
The black girl received racial abuse in the Hunger games film......

This rule is clearly one way :rolleyes:

Hehe. Discrimination always happens where utility is concerned. Prejudice concerns itself only with discrimination that exists where utility is not concerned. Discrimination in and of itself is not bad - only when a person discriminates between things based on unnecessary factors.

I'm all for casting people in films and TV shows where it is not necessary to accurately reconstruct race, but where it is deemed necessary, then race becomes a fair factor for discrimination. In those films, I would argue it wasn't necessary.
People shouldn't discriminate against people for being less intelligent but it happens in the entire world,with the more intelligent ones getting paid more because they can be able to do better jobs-in a ideal world everyone would be paid equal because it is only luck that they have ended up getting a better job: enthusiasm from parents and mainly their intelligence.Discrimination against dumb people is quite obvious to see in our society eg.jobs requiring intelligence earn more than manual labour jobs,which are the only jobs dumb people can get.
Reply 30
Original post by theonefrombrum
It's context dependent but in theory there should be no basis for someone's intelligence or lack of it to be discriminated. If its genetics that cause intelligence, then when you insult a dumb person you are basically having a go a their DNA code and that's ridiculous and leaves you vulnerable to that person insulting even the slightest negative effect your DNA had had on you. If its environment than again it's not the individuals fault but is instead the fault of the adults responsible for ensuring that the environment for the person is conducive to learning. Infact, it may not even be their fault as the economic and social conditions present in a place ensure that access to supposed neccesities of intelligence increasing is limited if not impossible to get.

Why are people so quick to cite luck as the reason behind a lot of people's wealth and apparent intelligence but then fail to do the same for when someone is poor and not as intelligent? It works both ways and if the conditions in Oxford allow for young Donald to become rich, possibly through his Dad, then it's acceptable to assume that it's the conditions in Peckham which allow for young Marvin to become, or remain, poor and not anything to do with race or any other ridiculous notion and it's for this reason that people who criticise someone's intelligence have failed to realise this obvious truth; no one becomes dumb by choice

This pretty much explains why virtually any type of discrimation (including this topic) is morally wrong. Great post. The thing is, this type of discrimation is practically advantageous to society which is why it's seen as necessary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dumb =/= unintelligent... Don't interchange the two words, it's quite offensive...
Regarding nature vs nurture and intelligence, my head of year and a biology teacher did a project in university to see whether it was genetic inheritance or upbringing.
He concluded that it's all in the nurturing of the child. Don't hold me to it, but I agree. Mostly anyway.
Reply 32
Original post by thomaskurian89
Apparently, discrimination on the basis of physical features like skin colour, height and attractiveness is frowned upon but it is okay to discriminate on the basis of intelligence. Why is that, given that physical features and intelligence are both genetically predetermined?

*it's

obviously you made this post because of your extreme lack of intellignce. LEarn to type properly mate.
Reply 33
Demographics like race and gender do not make a difference to how someone can perform. Intelligence is something which needs to be evaluated in many aspects of our lives though. At school I was placed in classed according to my ability so that I could receive the proper support and attention. I was never good at maths in high school so I was placed in a low set - if this wasn't done I would have struggled to keep up with everybody else.
Reply 34
Because it actually makes a difference on how a person will perform.
Reply 35
Original post by Spaz Man
Because otherwise we'd live in a completely unproductive and ambitionless society.

We're already half way there
Reply 36
You're not allowed to discriminate based on anything at all - to discriminate in this context simply means to take into account attributes - either real or probabilistic, that are not directly relevant to the decision at hand.

Specific and relevant differentiation on the other hand, has always been perfectly acceptable and always will.

Examples:

Specifically choosing a white person over a black person to play a white character in a film is fair differentiation because its a relevent attribute.
Specifically choosing a white person over a black person to be a security guard is discrimination because the attribute is not relevant.

Charging a higher car insurance premium to someone because they have a poor record of safety is fair differentiation because the attribute is specific to that person.
Charging a higher car insurance premium to someone purely because they are male is discrimination because the attribute is based purely on a statistical association.
Reply 37
Original post by py0alb
You're not allowed to discriminate based on anything at all - to discriminate in this context simply means to take into account attributes - either real or probabilistic, that are not directly relevant to the decision at hand.

Specific and relevant differentiation on the other hand, has always been perfectly acceptable and always will.

Examples:

Specifically choosing a white person over a black person to play a white character in a film is fair differentiation because its a relevent attribute.
Specifically choosing a white person over a black person to be a security guard is discrimination because the attribute is not relevant.

Charging a higher car insurance premium to someone because they have a poor record of safety is fair differentiation because the attribute is specific to that person.
Charging a higher car insurance premium to someone purely because they are male is discrimination because the attribute is based purely on a statistical association.

What about the age discrimination when it comes to car insurance :tongue: That's a statistical association.

Before someone comes back at me with a big well thought out argument, I'm just joking around.
Reply 38
Original post by A.J10
What about the age discrimination when it comes to car insurance :tongue: That's a statistical association.

Before someone comes back at me with a big well thought out argument, I'm just joking around.

Discrimination on age is against the law.
Differentiation based on driving experience is not.

The arguments are subtle and there is always a bit of a grey area, but the principles generally hold up to closer inspection.
Original post by py0alb
Discrimination on age is against the law.
Differentiation based on driving experience is not.

The arguments are subtle and there is always a bit of a grey area, but the principles generally hold up to closer inspection.

Should the driving age be abolished then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending