Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men's singles badminton Final 5th August: Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    I have to disagree with you.
    If you've won the Olympic gold medal for the SECOND time (being the first person to do so in MS history) in a tough match against your hardest opponent, you WILL run around and celebrate.
    LCW needed some time to himself after he lost because of the shock, so I don't think he would have minded if LD shook his hand a few minutes after the end.
    I don't see how LD didn't set 'the right image'. He celebrated like he should have and was also a great sportsman when he hugged LCW.
    But the first thing you are supposed to do is to shake hands and rejoice with your opponents. Even the commentator on the BBC yesterday noticed that. The reason why it sets a bad image and makes him look like a mug is because he didn't event consider that before "wheeling away". Once the two players show their appreciation for each other, THEN is the time when celebrations are another thing.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    I don't doubt the respect they both have for each other - they are probabyl actually best friends. But he shouldn't show his lack of charisma in front of everyone. I'm sure many of his own fans would prefer if his celebrations were of less disturbance to his opponents. Perhaps Lee Chong Wei didn't feel offended, but it doesn't set the right image for fans of both parties.
    So you want the players to be subdued when they win.... Right, I can tell you many of the Chinese male athletes celebrate in this fashion, look at Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Sun Yang etc..it's because they are so pumped up! if you take it the wrong way it's not my problem nor is it the winners. You just need to look at Chinese table tennis & badminton they are so pumped up for every point they won.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Too many bad line judgements from LCW
    I was so depressed after he lost yesterday, I literally didn't do anything else except sit and feel sad.

One of the best badminton matches I have ever seen though. I've never been so tense watching badminton before, except in the WC 2011 and WC 2010 finals.
    I love your sig image! LCW is a legend
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to make it clear I was a neutral fan. But Lin Dan always does it. Even at the World Championships last year, he was dancign around like he'd never won anything before, right in frotn of a despaired Lee Chong Wei who once again gave his all and fell agonisingly short. So many players and fans have noticed it, namely player like Taufik Hidayat. That shows me that he's just a girl who can't keep his happiness to himself.
    You don't sound like a neutral fan to me.....

Yeah he probably should have had a quicker celebration, gone to shake hands/hug Lee Chong Wei first before celebrating, but he was probably just really excited. Don't call him a "girl who can't keep his happiness to himself". The point of that game was it could have gone either way, especially as LCW was top seeded, and therefore had the technical edge on Lin. If you were really neutral, you'd weigh up the fact that he beat the best player in the world in a world tournament that only comes around once very 4 years, so yeah he has every right to be excited about winning.

But given what I saw of LCW straight after the game, I agree he should have gone and shook hands first.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    So you want the players to be subdued when they win.... Right, I can tell you many of the Chinese male athletes celebrate in this fashion, look at Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Sun Yang etc..it's because they are so pumped up! if you take it the wrong way it's not my problem nor is it the winners. You just need to look at Chinese table tennis & badminton they are so pumped up for every point they won.
    Of course not. But like I said - in badminton, the winner/loser takes 100% of the emotions. And when LD beats a player like Lee Chong Wei, he needs to show class before celebrating. Any considerate badminton player would know it is not morally mutually exclusive to celebrate and "rejoice with the opponent" - they have to "rejoice" before celebration.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    You don't sound like a neutral fan to me.....

Yeah he probably should have had a quicker celebration, gone to shake hands/hug Lee Chong Wei first before celebrating, but he was probably just really excited. Don't call him a "girl who can't keep his happiness to himself". The point of that game was it could have gone either way, especially as LCW was top seeded, and therefore had the technical edge on Lin. If you were really neutral, you'd weigh up the fact that he beat the best player in the world in a world tournament that only comes around once very 4 years, so yeah he has every right to be excited about winning.

But given what I saw of LCW straight after the game, I agree he should have gone and shook hands first.
    He has obviously got every right to celebrate. But with the contrast of emotions Lee Chong Wei was going through, Lin Dan should have felt it was essential to wait for Lee Chong Wei. Every time Lee Chogn Wei has beaten Lin Dan in a final, he has been quietly satisfied but its the fact that Lin Dan does this to every opponent.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    I love your sig image! LCW is a legend
    Thank you
    And I agree, LCW and Taufik are my favourite players
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too many bad line judgements from LCW
    I was so depressed after he lost yesterday, I literally didn't do anything else except sit and feel sad.

One of the best badminton matches I have ever seen though. I've never been so tense watching badminton before, except in the WC 2011 and WC 2010 finals.
    Yeah, I thought I was going to be a clear victory for LCW after the first set, with Lin making all the mistakes, but in the end it was just a matter of 2 points, and I know he must feel so bad losing the gold medal point with an unenforced error

For me though, I don't really think about it as who's the better player, just that out of these 2 extra-ordinary badminton players, Lin got the edge on LCW on the day, and it was just an amazing game. What pisses me off though is the fact that everyone has to criticise Lin for not being sportsmanlike or whatever. Get over it, they're probably really good friends and LCW has beaten Lin many times aswell.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    He has obviously got every right to celebrate. But with the contrast of emotions Lee Chong Wei was going through, Lin Dan should have felt it was essential to wait for Lee Chong Wei. Every time Lee Chogn Wei has beaten Lin Dan in a final, he has been quietly satisfied but its the fact that Lin Dan does this to every opponent.
    Yeah ok fair enough, but you can't really say he's a bad sportsman because of that. People have different ways of celebrating and if you ever see Lin in an interview, especially after the MS finals, he's actually really humble and not at all up himself (unlike some athletes). Yes he probably should have gone to LCW, especially given the circumstances, but he probably just got caught up in the moment. Try not to judge him too much
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, tbh I couldn't give one...I'm only there to watch the game to see who wins, when they win they can celebrate however way they like, you heard of Usain Bolt he runs off for miles when he wins the 100m he doesn't shake hand or feel the need to comfort his opponents they are big enough to take care of themselves, it's not my problem. It sounds like your pride has been hurt so you insult Lin Dan do you think that's okay?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Yeah ok fair enough, but you can't really say he's a bad sportsman because of that. People have different ways of celebrating and if you ever see Lin in an interview, especially after the MS finals, he's actually really humble and not at all up himself (unlike some athletes). Yes he probably should have gone to LCW, especially given the circumstances, but he probably just got caught up in the moment. Try not to judge him too much
    Yeah - nothing is to suggest that they are not best friends, such as incidents like this http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...418&sec=sports. Of coruse they will be lifelong pals. The reason why I may have misjudged some of the things I stated was just because I thought it was not the right "image" for young badminton fans. That was a great game as ever, but there's a fine line between success and failure in big tournaments which LCW has not met so far, and that's why I thought fans may grow suspicious of Lin Dan's celebrations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, tbh I couldn't give one...I'm only there to watch the game to see who wins, when they win they can celebrate however way they like, you heard of Usain Bolt he runs off for miles when he wins the 100m he doesn't shake hand or feel the need to comfort his opponents they are big enough to take care of themselves, it's not my problem. It sounds like your pride has been hurt so you insult Lin Dan do you think that's okay?
    Its also the circumstances that count most. Bolt is a terrific talent and like any athlete its all his work, he celebrates but it is not really at the expense of his opponents because they have been beaten by one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. Whereas on the viewpoint of LD vs LCW, its also minor mistakes that can cost more than a fortune. And when LD goes off in celebration, its sometimes also bitter for fans because of the mistakes LCW may have made. Running the 100m, you can give it your all but the expense of msitakes may not prove so costly. Don't get me wrong - my favourite player is the retiring Peter Gade and despite players such as LCW describing him as the best ever, there's no doubting Lin Dan has that. But he also needs to warrant the respect of everyone else so he can be remembered more. That can be started by celebrating after showing appreciation for the opponent.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - nothing is to suggest that they are not best friends, such as incidents like this http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...418&sec=sports. Of coruse they will be lifelong pals. The reason why I may have misjudged some of the things I stated was just because I thought it was not the right "image" for young badminton fans. That was a great game as ever, but there's a fine line between success and failure in big tournaments which LCW has not met so far, and that's why I thought fans may grow suspicious of Lin Dan's celebrations.

Maybe we can still be friends...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lin Dan surely is the greatest badminton player that has ever lived, but I also feel sorry for LCW.

The arena they played in was, to be perfectly honest, atrocious - with the draft that clearly made sides unfair.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Lin Dan surely is the greatest badminton player that has ever lived, but I also feel sorry for LCW.

The arena they played in was, to be perfectly honest, atrocious - with the draft that clearly made sides unfair.
    They switch positions every game and then switch every bout at 11 points ( don't know the actual badminton term) but it's fair.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They switch positions every game and then switch every bout at 11 points ( don't know the actual badminton term) but it's fair.
    They switch ends at the end of each game and in the final game they switch at 11 points, the interval. It still ruins the match and result.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lee Chong Wei could consider playing at the 2016 Olympics. Could be a great chance - I wouldn't rule it out with players like Peter Gade carrying on in to the mid 30s!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    Lee Chong Wei could consider playing at the 2016 Olympics. Could be a great chance - I wouldn't rule it out with players like Peter Gade carrying on in to the mid 30s!
    I hope him and Lin Dan still have a go at Rio, it all depends on how they do in the next 2 years (fitness wise).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think LCW has suffered too much in terms of losing the big matches that he might not have the strength to keep going. he was never very strong mentally to begin with. That's what I'm worried about.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    I hope him and Lin Dan still have a go at Rio, it all depends on how they do in the next 2 years (fitness wise).
    It would be amazing - two of the greatest players going all the way. I guess the reason why LCW wants to go to Rio if he's fit enough is because he hasn't yet won Olympic gold. I haven't heard of Lin Dan's intentions yet, but I would guess he would feel it would be less of an urgency as he already has two golds. Having said that, they do probably have it in them to still be in the top 3, after all these years of appearing in finals of such a physically demanding sport.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.