The Student Room Group

bus fares/passes in Manchester

Hi all,

Been lurking these forums for a while, thought I'd post a query that I didn't see answered already.

I've tried doing searches online, but couldn't find any specific details about season passes for transport in Manchester, only information I got out was there's a bunch of private transport companies, and if you buy a ticket from one type of bus then you can't use the same (return) ticket on another bus..

So just wanted to know if there are any bus passes available for students, and what alternatives you use if there isn't?

Also, what are the average fares for commuting/return journeys. I'm going to be staying near Piccadilly gardens, with my classes being in the South end of the city campus, if that helps at all

Cheers
The best bus pass is the Unirider from Stagecoach. Unfortunately the information for the full academic year (Sept - June) bus pass isn't on their website at the moment, but last year it was £185 if you bought online (£200 if you bought it in person). Those tickets are valid for unlimited travel throughout Greater Manchester on any Stagecoach / Magic bus for the whole academic year.

It's correct that you can't use one bus company's tickets on another provider, but the fact that there are multiple bus companies means that competition keeps fares low and services good. Compared to Bristol, where First holds an effective monopoly, Manchester buses are a dream.

The biggest two bus companies are Stagecoach and Finglands, with minor players including First and Bluebird. Stagecoach (which includes Magic Bus) has the most frequent services along the Oxford Road corridor.

I'm not sure how much individual fares are, though, as I bought a bus pass last year and will just be cycling this year (it's quicker and cheaper). They're not expensive though.
You should also search for the system one pass of you ever need to travel in the other direction of the city

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending