The Student Room Group

Would Oxbridge be worth the cost?

I'd be applying for Chemistry/NatSci. I'm a Scottish student, and I'm doing the correct subjects at Advanced Higher (A2) Would Oxbridge be worth the cost, (I believe in total the degree would cost £36,000) considering that I could go to a good/great Scottish university, with no tuition fees?
Original post by TheFOMaster
I'd be applying for Chemistry/NatSci. I'm a Scottish student, and I'm doing the correct subjects at Advanced Higher (A2) Would Oxbridge be worth the cost, (I believe in total the degree would cost £36,000) considering that I could go to a good/great Scottish university, with no tuition fees?

Firstly, apply anyway. You can't be sure that you'll get into Edinburgh/St. Andrews and so you might as well apply to Oxbridge on the off-chance that you get in - you can always say no later, and you might even be able to negotiate lower offers from other unis if you tell them you have one from Oxbridge.

Second, for the £36,000 (NatSci can be 3 or 4 years so it could easily be a £27K degree if you want it to) you are getting so much value for money. Firstly, Oxbridge has cheaper living costs than most other places (especially Cambridge) which offsets the tuition fees somewhat. But then also consider how good Oxbridge is - when people say an Oxbridge degree will have you walking into jobs they're exaggerating, but only slightly. Oxbridge is known all over the world and it is SO worth the money if you can get in. Apply :smile:
Reply 2
Thank You, I might apply, I'll need to think about it though as it could be a wasted choice (most Scottish applicants will have 5 highers, I have 4)

I also have considered applying to Medicine as a graduate. So the money issue arises again if I go, since I'd have even more debt if I do that.

I'll give it more thought, Before Summer I was told I likely wouldn't get in anyway by my year head.
Original post by TheFOMaster
Thank You, I might apply, I'll need to think about it though as it could be a wasted choice (most Scottish applicants will have 5 highers, I have 4)
To quote the Oxford website: "Students with Scottish qualifications would usually be expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. The University currently sets conditional offers that require AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6."

On the cost front, note that Oxford have some generous bursaries exclusively for Scottish students: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/student_funding/scottish_students/2013_funding.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Well, you have 5 choices, and i don't think you could argue there are 5 scottish unis better value than Oxbridge. May as well see what happens.
Reply 5
Original post by fluteflute
To quote the Oxford website: "Students with Scottish qualifications would usually be expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. The University currently sets conditional offers that require AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6."

On the cost front, note that Oxford have some generous bursaries exclusively for Scottish students: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/student_funding/scottish_students/2013_funding.html

I saw the requirements, but I contacted them, and they totalled up my Highers over both years (6 Highers, 3 taken to AH) saying I could make a "competitive" application, and Cambridge require AAAA.

Thanks for that about the funding, I'll total it up, and compare the total costs compared to other universitys I'd be applying for.

Original post by nexttime
Well, you have 5 choices, and i don't think you could argue there are 5 scottish unis better value than Oxbridge. May as well see what happens.

Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt all have good Chemistry departments. I think I may drop one for Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending