Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you guys acquire your music?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Where do you guys get your music from?
    CDs
    33.33%
    iTunes
    27.50%
    Torrents
    38.33%
    Limewire/MP3 Rocket etc
    21.67%

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Do you honestly think you can pass a blind test between a CD, flac or whatever and MP3 V0, or even V2?
    Flac, no, but I sometimes (sometimes) can with 320, and definitely with 256 and CD, not sure what V0 and V2 are.

The thing is, I can't put an mp3/FLAC onto my record deck, or play it on my cd player, nor would I want to.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    You can carry on listening to your Justin Beiber. You clearly don't give a damn about supporting music.
    No I don't care and I am not alone in thinking that.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    private trackers/music blogs
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanfromtheblock)
    I don't understand how illegal music downloading is so widely seen as acceptable. I'm assuming you wouldn't steal a CD from a shop, this is no different (apart from involving less effort)
    That argument is so silly. First, music online is digital, this means that they can be downloaded literally infinite types and the music will still be there. Physical music on shops is not infinite, it is scarce, therefore, it diminishes every time someone steals it. Stealing is a meaningless concept when applied to something that is infinitely abundant.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    No I don't care and I am not alone in thinking that.
    It's just a shame that you probably listen to music that is popular, and won't have to hear about a band you like splitting up, or members leaving because they can't afford to keep making their music/can't afford to take time off work or tour, or are just genuinely having money troubles.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not my problem. Nothing's going to happen. Besides, how is it my responsibility to pay for the costs of tours/equipment etc?
    It is your responsibility to pay for something that you don't own, in order to own it/use it.

I presume you don't go in and steal clothes from a shop?

Why is it okay to steal music? You get paid for working, why shouldn't artists?

Yes they are paid a lot of money, but that is their chosen career, just like you have your own chosen career. You shouldn't penalise them just because they happen to have a better paying job, I presume you aren't in the business of stealing tickets to see a football game etc. etc. :rolleyes:
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    It's just a shame that you probably listen to music that is popular, and won't have to hear about a band you like splitting up, or members leaving because they can't afford to keep making their music/can't afford to take time off work or tour, or are just genuinely having money troubles.
    Many bands split up because they go off into other areas of work or have children.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the CD is available I will buy it regardless. If not, then I torrent - only if not available as a physical or digital copy. I do prefer to have the physical copy though so I prefer not to buy mp3s unless I'm desperate.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostChicGeek)
    It is your responsibility to pay for something that you don't own, in order to own it/use it.

I presume you don't go in and steal clothes from a shop?

Why is it okay to steal music? You get paid for working, why shouldn't artists?

Yes they are paid a lot of money, but that is their chosen career, just like you have your own chosen career. You shouldn't penalise them just because they happen to have a better paying job, I presume you aren't in the business of stealing tickets to see a football game etc. etc. :rolleyes:
    There is no difference between borrowing a mate's CD and downloading a track someone else uploaded which they bought from iTunes.

Stealing clothes from a shop is different.

Besides, it's the internet. Tough ****, it's here to stay.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many bands split up because they go off into other areas of work or have children.
    And many also split up due to financial issues.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A mix up of iTunes and torrents.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is this idea that if they weren't downloading it illegally they wouldn't purchase the music anyway.

Personally I don't give a **** about the artists.

What about artists/bands that are not making music anymore? How is downloading their music going to harm them?
    I would pos rep you (for once) but it says I've given too many ratings to you. Anyway, I agree to an extent. Most of the artist's money is through concerts, etc. Money from album sales is peanuts to them. And yes, if i didnt download it, I wouldnt have bought it at the shop so i would never have acquired the music which is not what the artist would want (because i could be a potential fan for concerts, etc)
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    And many also split up due to financial issues.
    The bands/artists I listen to don't. Besides, they're obviously not very good if people aren't paying for it. I fail to see how buying one CD would prevent that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about artists/bands that are not making music anymore? How is downloading their music going to harm them?
    What? You do know that artists and songwriters continue to get money from sales after the band splits up?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Do you honestly think you can pass a blind test between a CD, flac or whatever and MP3 V0, or even V2?
    320 and a WAV is pretty hard to differentiate from unless you're on a decent system. Any kind of youtube rip will be way less than 320kbps, and it'll sound like absolute arse. So yes.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The bands/artists I listen to don't. Besides, they're obviously not very good if people aren't paying for it. I fail to see how buying one CD would prevent that.
    So the music you listen to is obviously not very good if you're not paying for it.

A tenner is a pack of guitar strings, or quite a few miles on the road, every little helps.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    I would pos rep you (for once) but it says I've given too many ratings to you. Anyway, I agree to an extent. Most of the artist's money is through concerts, etc. Money from album sales is peanuts to them. And yes, if i didnt download it, I wouldnt have bought it at the shop so i would never have acquired the music which is not what the artist would want (because i could be a potential fan for concerts, etc)
    Thank you. In fact because music can be downloaded illegally it gets heard by more people, increasing the chances of sales. Hence why Youtube is a highly profitable platform despite being about to access virtually any song for free.

If I'm going to pay for music, it better be worth it. Record companies would make MORE money by reducing the price of a track from £0.79 (quite common on iTunes) to, let's say 10p. More people would buy far more tracks = more money.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    What? You do know that artists and songwriters continue to get money from sales after the band splits up?
    And if they're dead?
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    So the music you listen to is obviously not very good if you're not paying for it.

A tenner is a pack of guitar strings, or quite a few miles on the road, every little helps.
    Well they're still performing/making music so it's OK. I don't give a **** if I pay, I care if there enough people out there paying. It doesn't have to be everyone.

£10 x 200 albums = £2000

**** every little helps. All I care about is me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no difference between borrowing a mate's CD and downloading a track someone else uploaded which they bought from iTunes.

Stealing clothes from a shop is different.

Besides, it's the internet. Tough ****, it's here to stay.
    Usually the friend wants it back... so yeah there is unless you would rip it onto your iTunes?

I understand we have the internet, but that doesn't mean things can't be changed.

The attitude of people towards artists is a bit shameful, because if someone scr*wed them out of getting paid for their work they would be up in arms, but it is okay to do that to other people who are 'paid too much'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.