Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Abusive guy at bus stop

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I was standing at the bus stop with my two friends chatting and from the corner of my eye I could see someone approaching. He looked like a ned or also known as chavs in other parts of the UK. He was in trackies, smoking, carrying a plastic bag and gobbing every 5 seconds.

As he reached the bus stop he shouted "Shut the **** up!" One of my friends at that moment replied with "WOAH!" The told us to shut again as we were 'faggots' his words not mine. Taking a back by this we stood there is silence.

Then he started on an old man asking what he was looking at, the old man drew him a stare and the guy continued to mock his mustache.

I really wanted to stand up for myself and give him a piece of my mind but I froze up and nothing would come out.

He was in complete control of the situation and I didn't like that at all. I feared he would attack us and I've never been in a fight so I'm not sure if it would bode well for me.

Any advice of feedback on how to deal with scum like this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I would have been shocked too, it's hard to think of what to say/do in those situations. Especially when you are put on the spot like that in such a random way.

Just ignore the scum. I suppose the best thing to do is to prepare in advance if situations like these ever escalate. Take up martial arts or any self defence training. It's best not to make the first move as you never know what they can do. If they start first, give them hell.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably drunk or worse and when people are like this they usually cannot feel pain until the next day so i don't think you should fight back, to be safe just walk away. In that state of mind he could really do some damage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    unless they get physically violent there is in theory no reason to do anything other than what you did.

Saying that, if you were a bit more sure of yourself you could have said something back, the chances being it would result in some form of physical confrontation. It also depends on your company, your friends, will they let you fall to the deck and then watch as you take a kicking? Will they let you go 1 on 1 but step in to stop you getting your head stomped? Or would they stand shoulder to shoulder with you and tell the guy to do one?

To be honest physical violence inherently carries a high risk of receiving harm, no sensible person likes being hurt, no rational person willingly puts themselves in situations that will almost certainly hurt them.

So i would say you did the right thing as a standard without knowing these variables.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stick your cock in his eye.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on you and the judgment you make in the situation really.

Me and my mates would have just kept talking and probably laughed at him - especially if there were three of us. It's not really worth bothering with a confrontation you can avoid but like **** could some dickhead tell me when I can and can't talk.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

Astonishingly everyone agrees to ignore abusive people of the sort, I was expecting more people to advise to stand up for yourself, but as pointed out it all depends on the environment and who is with you.

If the words rolled off my tongue, something agressive would of came out but as I said before the shock compelled me to silence.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I would have ignored him. If he was starting on random innocent people then he was likely doing it to get a rise out of you... ignoring him deprives him of what he wants... like ignoring a toddler throwing a tantrum.

By ignoring him you are completely innocent in the situation, when arguing with people in an altered state of mind (through either drugs and alcohol or just plain anger) you are likely to feel the most damage if things get violent so it is usually in your best interest to let it pass... unless you are the expert of some form of fighting style I 'spose :')
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey you did what you thought was the right thing so its OK. And you never know he may have been carrying a weapon which he may have used if you'd retaliated. But then again I would have felt pretty ****ing pissed off in your sitaution and may have let one fly to the chavvy piece of scum.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think in that sort of situation where the guy is clearly either drunk or a nutter or just looking for a fight then the best thing to do is ignore him and to quietly try and put some distance between yourself.

He clearly wasn't a rational person so trying to reason or argue with them would get you nowhere.

I think if you'd started having a go at him back he'd have been more likely to attack you. Whereas with nutters or drunks if you ignore them long enough they'll get bored and try and find someone else to bother.

Don't worry about feeling like you weren't in control of the situtation etc., he was the one abusing random strangers in the street, I'm not sure "control of the situation" comes under that definition.

In all likelihood he may have been mentally ill anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    there's no real reason to feel embarrassed or anything for not sticking up for yourself

after all, it's not like you care about his worthless opinion

and fighting is something best reserved for monkeys / apes / humans with similar iq
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would have kept on talking. He was probably drunk or was purposefully looking for a fight, and the best thing to do is to ignore him. He can't exactly tell you to shut up if you're standing at a public bus stop.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cammyleenic)
    Yesterday I was standing at the bus stop with my two friends chatting and from the corner of my eye I could see someone approaching. He looked like a ned or also known as chavs in other parts of the UK. He was in trackies, smoking, carrying a plastic bag and gobbing every 5 seconds.

As he reached the bus stop he shouted "Shut the **** up!" One of my friends at that moment replied with "WOAH!" The told us to shut again as we were 'faggots' his words not mine. Taking a back by this we stood there is silence.

Then he started on an old man asking what he was looking at, the old man drew him a stare and the guy continued to mock his mustache.

I really wanted to stand up for myself and give him a piece of my mind but I froze up and nothing would come out.

He was in complete control of the situation and I didn't like that at all. I feared he would attack us and I've never been in a fight so I'm not sure if it would bode well for me.

It was likely he was a psychopath. If something happens like this again, hopefully you'll be with a friend or someone who can help you in a fight. You should all learn to stick together and watch out for each other. You may never have been in a fight but evolution has done your work for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to be more confident in those situations, you could take up some form of fighting (not to actually fight the guy, but you would be more confident to stand up to the dude). But really, its best to just ignore him and not let it ruin your day.

Though you should really feel sorry for him, considering his life must suck enough that he tries to start fights with random people at bus stops...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i think he likes you, hes just shy
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hire an assassin to put him away. :yep:

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by like a boss)
    Stick your cock in his eye.
    :rofl::rofl:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy for people who aren't in that situation to say 'oh I would have given them a piece of my mind' etc but in reality it's not that easy at all. I don't know where you live but where I live some of the chavs carry weapons - whether that's a knife/piece of glass/a brick or even a gun you cannot possibly know when they have their hands stuffed in their pockets. Almost all of them belong to a gang - so if you piss one of them off then you have to watch you back the next time you're in that area of town because they will point you out to their friends/family. Once that happens then you are in a very bad situation - they target people's houses, cars, families etc. It's not worth responding to a chav who calls you an insulting name - just so that you can feel masculine or tough - because it will backfire.

I never respond when someone starts acting up on the bus/street/at a bus stop. Most of the time it's never directed at me - so when someone starts kicking the bus shelter or whatever, I keep my mouth shut and don't look them in the eye. It's really not worth it - people lose their lives over retaliating to some of these imbeciles, you have no idea what they are carrying or how many of their friends are around the corner.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah the delights of the modern chav; loud, obtrusive, offensive, violent and personal hygine that either resembles that of a dead tramp or an industrial accident at the Lynx/Joop factory... nasty pieces of vermin arent they?
    As to what to do about them, not much unless youre adept at some form of martial art or have a can of CS spray nearby
    Just ignore and they tend to crawl back into the whole from once they came, after all theres no point in retaliating to just being called a faggot and risk having your head kicked in is there?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cammyleenic)

I think you did the best thing. He was clearly looking for attention so if you had said anything it could have quite easily turned nasty. The best thing is just to ignore them/ make them feel as if they are completely invisible and continue what you are doing or just to remain silent..unless you think you can take them on

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.