Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lol at the anti-China sentiment on Facebook.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The UK is full of xenophobic people. It's depressing. I thought well educated people wouldn't be so ignorant but I guess I was the one living in blissful ignorance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Negaduck)
    The UK is full of xenophobic people. It's depressing. I thought well educated people wouldn't be so ignorant but I guess I was the one living in blissful ignorance.
    When the media is the educator, its not hard to see how it can degenerate.
    • 158 followers

ReputationRep:
    What makes you say that?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    What these very people don't even realize is that since the UK received the Olympics they have piled hundreds of millions into athletic development and training. And voila here we are, Team GB are having their best Olympics in a long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983

Very interesting read. £264 million has been spent according to this BBC article. Now compare this number to funding in China and then ADD to that the fact that China's population is about 20 times higher than that of the UK. Only after you have done that can you make any sort of comparison.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why has the OP been perma-banned yo?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What makes you say that?
    Oh **** off isa.
    • 158 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off isa.
    Can't justify your answer? Where is tr evidence for all this supposed xenophobia?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off isa.
    Shouldn't you at least give ISA the benefit of the doubt?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese are good at many things because they want to suceed. Failure is a taboo in Chinese culture. My parents scream their heads off when I do even a little bad in school.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StellaRawr11)
    Possibly its because of the "hard training" they have since they were a kid. Its not surprising they get all the gold medals.
    Attachment 167070
    ^(read chinese if u can :P)
    Im not chinese, Im taiwanese. (Although our ancestors did came from China)
    I felt physically ill when I clicked on that picture.
    • 158 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    The Chinese are good at many things because they want to suceed. Failure is a taboo in Chinese culture. My parents scream their heads off when I do even a little bad in school.
    Perfectionism is not the route to success.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perfectionism is not the route to success.
    I don't think it is either but the reason why East-Asian countires are doing better than many Western countries is the belief that they need to work hard in order to succeed. They work hard and education is highly valued. All my relatives and parents do is compare eachother's children. They talk about who is best XD.

My parents are strict but many other Asian parents want their children to get all A's and win everything.
    • 158 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is either but the reason why East-Asian countires are doing better than many Western countries is the belief that they need to work hard in order to succeed. They work hard and education is highly valued. All my relatives and parents do is compare eachother's children. They talk about who is best XD.

My parents are strict but many other Asian parents want their children to get all A's and win everything.
    They're not doing better than Western countries? Evidence?

There's more to success than As. As alone will not get you into Oxbridge, Medicine, Law etc.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

There's more to success than As. As alone will not get you into Oxbridge, Medicine, Law etc.

Do you seriously not read the news...:confused:?

Eastern-Asian countries are doing better than many countries in the West. For example look at the Olympics- China are dominating it.

You may argue that sports are not important, I agree. Let's focus on academics then. Countries like China and Korea are dominating tables which consider mathemetics, reading etc- take a look at PISA.

The schooling system in these countries is ten times of the one which is in the UK. Hours are long, the work load is tough and the pace is quick. If you cannot keep up then that is it.

Haven't you heard people talking about how well China is doing? That they may even dominate the USA? Open your eyes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

As will infact get you into top univerisities. That is the crucial factor along with being willing to learn, a good work ethos and attitude.
    • 158 followers

ReputationRep:
    As will infact get you into top univerisities. That is the crucial factor along with being willing to learn, a good work ethos and attitude.
    What? No. Grades are not the be and end all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was. Will you stop putting words in my mouth. Without the correct grades it is impossible to get into Oxbridge. Someone who does not get 3 A's will not even be considered for an application. This is clearly stated on the website. Go and troll someone else on an Oxbridge forum and ask them.

Grades may not get you everything you want in life but they stay with you forever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off isa.
    Same thoughts. Just a silly troll.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes but they are the minimum requirement, if you dont have minimum 3 A's then a top university wont consider you, end of.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 8, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.